XZ Compression for Wary Puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

XZ Compression for Wary Puppy

#1 Post by nic007 »

What do I need to be able to extract/view an xz archive with Wary Puppy? I am able to create an sfs file with xz compression with Wary but get a mount error when trying to view/extract the contents. I want to re-compress the base sfs in xz format so Wary also needs to be able to extract the xz archive at bootup.

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

I think it's a kernel issue: racy has the kernel to manage xz compression but wary hasn't. Try to run wary with the racy's kernel: zdrv.sfs is not supported in wary but there are old threads to manage to upgrade the kernel with these old puppies.

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Yes, I sort of thought that too but Wary has the xz libraries installed so one can do xz compressions. Seems silly to be able to do the compression but the system can't decompress the file for usage. :?
BTW - The zdrv is supported in Wary.

Sailor Enceladus

#4 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Maybe it's mksquashfs and unsquashfs that needs to be updated? I remember having to update the one in Slacko 5.7 to version 4.2 for it to recognize the -comp xz parameter. For booting maybe watchdog is right though (or something in initrd.gz?).

nic007

#5 Post by nic007 »

Wary has both mksquashfs and unsquash versions 3 and 4. File can not be decompressed during a session so not (only) an initrd.gz issue.

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

You can go through kernel compiling to get the kernel module to decompress xz compressed files:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80274

(suggested by Semme in PM). Allthough I have just tested the following way:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 164#453164

I have achieved to frugal install a wary with racy's kernel and it can decompress xz files. This is only for testing purpouse because if you need xz decompression ability you can just use racy instead of wary.
Attachments
pic.png
(88.17 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

watchdog - Thanks but there is a specific reason why I want to use Wary instead of Racy. I have Racy (which of course handles xz compression) and I have used it for a long time and have also used Wary previously for a long time and I also have Tahr. Provisional "experiments" indicate that the older Xorg version found in Wary is more stable than the newer version in Racy. I run HD videos for hours on end with mplayer and have had system crashes using Racy. So far so good using Wary. The only reason I really want xz compression to work, is to compress Wary's base sfs with xz compression. Not really an issue as Wary is not a large distro anyway.