How to use KeePass in Slacko 5.7?

Booting, installing, newbie
Winchman

How to use KeePass in Slacko 5.7?

#1 Post by Winchman »

Is there any EASY way to get Keepass in Slacko Puppy 5.7 so I can open my .kdb database?

I did some searching, but I didn't see anything recent that looked promising. All the older stuff seemed to involve downloading some other stuff to get KP to work.

There's a software manager in Linux Mint that installs KP with just a couple clicks, but I don't see anything like that in Puppy or any quick way to get KP. Am I just not looking in the right place?
Last edited by Winchman on Sun 25 May 2014, 08:01, edited 2 times in total.

stemsee

keepss2

#2 Post by stemsee »

If you are using a ubuntu based puppy like precise, or even wheezy, or upup, then keepass2 is in the PPM Puppy Package Manager. Also you could install wine and run the windows version, another optio is to run it using mono.

latest wine here;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... edit?usp=1

keepass2 here:
http://keepass.info/download.html

ok

Winchman

#3 Post by Winchman »

Should have said Slacko Puppy 5.7.

stemsee

well....ha ha

#4 Post by stemsee »

You did say slacko 5.7.1 I skimmed it!!

You might still be able to use the ppm. And maybe install the .deb package from ubuntu, sometimes works. But installing o wine will definetely work ...I think!!

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

KeepassX might be worth a try if data is in kdb form, (but not kdbx).
Can I open KeePass 2.x password databases with KeePassX?Top

No, KeePassX does not support the KeePass 2.x (.kdbx) password database format currently. However, you can create an export in KeePass 1.x database format (.kdb) from KeePass 2.x, which KeePassX can read (and use as the native password database).

Winchman

#6 Post by Winchman »

After reading through all those posts in the link muggins provided, I'm totally confused about what I actually need.

Please post a short version of how to install it with the appropriate links.

cimarron

#7 Post by cimarron »

Looks like KeePassX (0.4.3) should work with your KeePass database file. Installing the two .pets in the first post of the thread muggins suggested might work for you.

If you want to try it without installing anything, there's a portable version of it here that runs for me in GuyDog (I think all the dependencies are built in, so it should run for you--it's big, though, almost 10MB):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/KeePassX 0.4.3/download

Just download the file and give it execute permissions. I forget how this is done in Rox, maybe right click and choose Properties or Permissions, then check Execute. I think then a click on the file should run it.

cowboy

keepassx error

#8 Post by cowboy »

Muggins,

Just FYI - getting a "error occurred" message when I attempted to download your keepassx pet in the referred post. Never had trouble with it before. Wonder if the forum still allows direct downloads of files? Didn't that change a year or so ago?

Also, keepassx is in the slacko repositories. However, it still seems to need the QT libraries to run. Now...Barry K did repackage QT into a smaller file available here:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02072

Winchman,

Normal procedure is to follow the first post in that thread. Two steps required: First, install the qt4-4.3.3.pet. That will take care of some dependencies that Keepassx needs to run. Then download and install the keepassx-0.4.3.pet in the post. That will install keepassx and put menu entries in for you. However, I'd give muggins a bit to look into the download error on the .pet. Some things have changed in the forum over the years, and it is possible he'll have to look into reloading/changing link.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Just FYI - getting a "error occurred" message when I attempted to download your keepassx pet in the referred post.
Yes, I forgot that there was a change in the size of files that can be hosted on murga-linux.com.

However, if Winchman downloads & installs qt4-4.3.2.pet, there is a slacko version of keepassx available here.

Winchman

#10 Post by Winchman »

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

starhawk

#11 Post by starhawk »

Winchman, I gather you got things working, per your other thread (at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 547#779547)...?

It's best not to leave people hanging when you move on to the next issue -- if you explain yourself, someday when someone comes across a similar problem, they know how *you* fixed it -- it may help them. Even if it doesn't solve their issues entirely, it gets them one step closer.

If that other thread's issues have been resolved, it'd be very good if you'd leave a post there with how you resolved it as well as editing the first post so that the title contains the marking [SOLVED]. (It's important to do both of those things.)

wert

#12 Post by wert »

cimarron wrote:Looks like KeePassX (0.4.3) should work with your KeePass database file. Installing the two .pets in the first post of the thread muggins suggested might work for you.

If you want to try it without installing anything, there's a portable version of it here that runs for me in GuyDog (I think all the dependencies are built in, so it should run for you--it's big, though, almost 10MB):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/KeePassX 0.4.3/download

Just download the file and give it execute permissions. I forget how this is done in Rox, maybe right click and choose Properties or Permissions, then check Execute. I think then a click on the file should run it.
Great stuff dude. Works instantly on Puppy Arcade 5.9.3. It runs without changing execute permissions, so it's just downloading and click and instantly there's Keepassx GUI in your face. It isn't in PA5.9's PPM by the way.