Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 16 Dec 2018, 02:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using AppImages in Puppy...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 6 [79 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
backi

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 05:00    Post subject:  

Me ,using just 32bit Os Puppies, can not find much appImages .
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 11:03    Post subject:  

Hi Backi:

It's a shame that 32bit seems to be getting phased out. Many individuals create so it's finding that hidden diamond among the rough. You may want to consider contributing by creating your own appimages of programs you have working under the 32bit platform. Appimage's website has create instructions there.

Kindest regards,

Slavvo67
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2018, 15:20    Post subject: ImageMagick.AppImage -- Does it work?  

Hi Mike Walsh,

Stumbled upon ImageMagick.AppImage, discussed here with download link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=980024#980024. From your previous posts about graphics, I thought it might interest you.

mikesLr
slavvo67

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2018, 23:43    Post subject:  

There haven't been many Appimages that I've been interested in; though quite a few work ootb.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2018, 07:08    Post subject: Re: ImageMagick.AppImage -- Does it work?  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Mike Walsh,

Stumbled upon ImageMagick.AppImage, discussed here with download link: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=980024#980024. From your previous posts about graphics, I thought it might interest you.

mikesLr

Thanks, Mike; we'll add it to the list!

I've tried ImageMagick before, but, like you, I do not feel 'comfortable' in the terminal. Must be a hang-over from my years & years of Windoze usage; I still prefer my GUIs.

I just couldn't get my head around the multitude of possible parameters that can be added to each command; after a wee while, it felt like my head was about to explode..!

But it's all 'grist for t'mill'.....and another we can add to the list of these AppImages that work for Puppy. So.....good catch!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 13 Jan 2018, 21:16; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2018, 12:34    Post subject: Another AppImage "Repo" -- Old 32-bits ?  

Stumbled on this site. Don't know if its been mentioned yet. Looks like old 32-bit applications. Figured I'd better post it before staggering elsewhere: https://sourceforge.net/projects/portable/files/

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jan 2018, 17:13    Post subject:  

Evening, all.

Following an update to the Telegram Instant Messenger this evening, it now crashes every time you attempt to launch the AppImage in Puppy.....with a 'segmentation' fault.

Reason? It no longer runs with ALSA, and now expects to find the full, standard PulseAudio package installed. So, unless you have an extremely pressing need for Telegram (which is, apparently, horribly insecure anyway), I think we can write this particular one off as 'untenable', since installing the full PulseAudio is a right royal PITA in Pup.

And it's not as though there aren't other options out there. Pidgin, Viber, Wire, Discord, Wickr, Slack, Retroshare (a new one, this), Tox, Ring.....there's been an explosion of IM apps this last year or two, though most are now 64-bit only, and have to be installed through package managers and PPAs, etc. Anyroad, I just thought I'd let you guys know.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2018, 20:32    Post subject: A Motherload  

Just a note that in his conscientious search of the web for things which may be of interest to the Puppy Community, labbe5 may have struck a motherload: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=988405#988405.

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr 2018, 05:55    Post subject:  

Hiya, Mike.

Thanks for the link to that.

I'm quite surprised at this. Last time I looked at this page (around 5 months ago) there were maybe 65-70 entries on it. A lot of these seem to be 'developer tools'.....but at least it shows devs are starting to take the format seriously.

I see there's even a 'converter' app for turning .deb packages into AppImages.....

Nice one!

Mike. Wink

don570

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 16:29    Post subject:  

GIMP 2.10 appimage found here...
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases

I have solution for gmic plugins if you have trouble with these.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990962#990962
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 05:22    Post subject:  

don570 wrote:
GIMP 2.10 appimage found here...
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases

I have solution for gmic plugins if you have trouble with these.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990962#990962

Cheers, Don. Thanks for that; keep 'em coming.....

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2018, 12:03    Post subject:  

Afternoon, all.

Following a nose around on OMG!Ubuntu earlier on (I really am spending too much time on that site, but it's a good source of news, apps & inspiration! Laughing), I've found another candidate for the collection.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/tusk-evernote-client-snap-app

I've had an Evernote a/c for some time, using the webapp mainly for notes and just general 'jottings'. I've been wanting to get the Tusk Evernote desktop client working in Puppy for a while, but it only used to be available as an Ubuntu PPA.

Seems the developer behind Tusk has really been 'beavering away' recently. It's now available from his Github a/c in a whole raft of different formats, including the new Ubuntu 'Snaps'.....and, more importantly for us, both 32- and 64-bit AppImages.

https://github.com/klauscfhq/tusk/releases/tag/v0.11.0

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in Slacko 570 again today. I thought I'd give this a go, bearing in mind that the Slackos are often that wee bit more awkward to get things running in (for various reasons). So; I d/l'ed the 32-bit AppImage; made it executable (Rt-clk->Properties; tick all three 'execute' checkboxes, and 'Refresh', then 'OK'), and went for it....

It fired straight up, as good as gold. Nice one!

As expected (following modern practice), the client is pretty much identical to the webapp.....just on the desktop, instead. But it does mean you can use it without needing to have the browser open. It's got a few nice additions, including the ability to change themes (I prefer the 'Dark' theme myself).

I've put this into my remote data partition, sym-linked it into 570's /mnt/home (thus keeping it outside of 'Puppyspace' altogether), and run up a MenuEntry to start it from Menu->Personal. Works nicely. I shall probably end up 'installing' it throughout the kennels, since you can more or less guarantee it'll work with the 'buntu-based Pups, too.....and by 'running' a single instance, it should keep the personal settings from Pup to Pup.

I've included the MenuEntry below, if anybody wishes to avail themselves of it. It's written for the 32-bit AppImage, but if you run the 64-bit one, after putting (or sym-linking) the appropriate AppImage into your Pup's /mnt/home, install the MenuEntry, and go into /usr/share/applications and find the Tusk.desktop entry.

Open 'er up with Geany, and just change the 'Exec' line from

Code:
Exec=/mnt/home/tusk-0.11.0-i386.AppImage

...to

Code:
Exec=/mnt/home/tusk-0.11.0-x86_64.AppImage

It should now run.

Enjoy.

-----------------------------------

(EDIT:- I put together the NixNote package for Puppy a while back. NixNote is the other main Evernote 'client' available out there. While NixNote would quite happily run, it had one glaring flaw; it refused point-blank to sign-in, much less 'sync' with my account. Which rendered it effectively useless.

Tusk doesn't have this problem. As the webapp signs-in & syncs without issue, so does Tusk. I know which one I shall be using, AND recommending.)

Mike. Wink
Tusk_Evernote_client-0.11.0-i386-MenuEntry.pet
Description  Menu Entry for Tusk Evernote desktop client...
pet

Download 
Filename  Tusk_Evernote_client-0.11.0-i386-MenuEntry.pet 
Filesize  11.13 KB 
Downloaded  71 Time(s) 

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 19:08    Post subject:  

Couple more links here for y'all.

Labbe5 found the DigiKam KDE-based photo organiser as an AppImage a wee while back. Runs in pretty near all Pups, from 5-series upward.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=996480#996480

--------------------------------------------------

And one that I discovered earlier this evening...

Xeoma.

I've already let rockedge know about this one (out of courtesy, really, bearing in mind the amount of time he's spent getting ZoneMinder to work in Puppy.)

Xeoma is a self-contained video surveillance 'client', which is available as both 32- & 64-bit AppImages. Within seconds of clicking on it, it's initializing itself, auto-detecting your cameras, and beginning to record footage!

It's described as 'childishly simple'.....and was (apparently) inspired by Lego.

Rockedge says he's quite impressed with it. That's a good sign of the master's approval!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=998297&sid=ae12f7dc4cc79b890dbb0c0ef8ca6ea6#998297

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jul 2018, 08:16    Post subject: AppImage Updater & List of AppImages  

labbe5 discovered an app to update AppImages you already have. Follow the links from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1000455#1000455

labbe5 also provided this link to a list of AppImages on github.io: https://appimage.github.io/apps/

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 13 Aug 2018, 09:45    Post subject:  

And some more that work with Puppy.....

From the link from labbe5 that Mike gave above, I've downloaded the 'deb2appimage' app. I'm going to give this a try; I would love to see if I could turn my BitMeterOS (bandwidth meter) .deb packages into AppImages. It's summat fairly simple to start with, and it's summat that I know (from long experience) just 'works'.

Watch this space....

--------------------------------------------------

Now, then; another weather AppImage has turned up. Unlike Temps, Nimbus-Weather is 64-bit only.....but it provides far more detailed info (including hourly, daily, and weekly forecasts). Powered by DarkSky, the accuracy of the info is astonishing.

I've made this one up into .pet and SFS packages; located in /opt, and started from an icon in the notification area (or 'systray', for those of you used to Windoze terminology).

And the app itself looks like this:-

Colour themes can be changed, and a few bits'n'bobs related to the DarkSky API, and.....that's about it for the settings. But the data itself can be manipulated in every conceivable way possible from within the app itself, all controlled via DarkSky's API.....and the weather graphics are animated. (Whoo-hoo...! Laughing)

Packages can be found here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mlK_FBxC9CgoCFhC4vwnpjr2VpZ_OEv4?usp=sharing

...both .pet, and SFS. This is currently working well in Xenialpup64 7.5; I shall be trying it out in Tahr64 6.0.5 later today.

Enjoy.

(Edit:- Nope, that's a no-go in Tahr64. It wants newer versions of libnss3.so and libnssutil3.so. I tried sym-linking the newer versions from my Chrome package (courtesy of battleshooter), and also tried substituting with the versions from Xenial64. In both cases, it resulted in the following:-

Code:
root# /mnt/sda1/Weather/nimbus-weather64
desktop-file-install is missing. Skipping /tmp/.mount_nimbustyg24u/AppRun.
[25788:0813/193625.222872:FATAL:nss_util.cc(160)] nss_error=-5925, os_error=0
Aborted

And nothing I can do will fix that, I'm afraid...)

(*shrug*)

-------------------------------------------

For those of you that are radio buffs (and I'm talking 'proper' radio here, not pre-streamed internet radio), I've found a couple of AppImages that both appear to deal with either DAB radio or manually-tuned, PLL (phase-locked-loop). They both work fine; they fire up, and everything appears to be functional (as far as it goes), but, of course, they need a 'tuner'.

Smokey01 was talking in the Newsletter a couple of months back about being able to watch digital TV through VLC in Fatdog64. He mentioned a particular type of USB 'tuner stick', complete with miniature aerial and remote control. Amazon & eBay both appear to be inundated with these devices, most of which hail from China (where else?!), and all appear to be around the GBP £10 mark.

I think I'm going to invest in one of these; it won't break the bank, and it will allow me to try these AppImages out, since the sticks also allow access to DAB, FM, AM, etc., in addition to the TV tuner stuff. I shall report back with my findings.

So.....stay 'tuned'..! (*sorry; couldn't resist that... Laughing)

Mike. Wink

Page 5 of 6 [79 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: