Can't mount usr_cram.fs at boot: too many IDE drives

Booting, installing, newbie

Can't mount usr_cram.fs at boot: too many IDE drives

#1 Post by newbie »

I downloaded the mozilla flavor of puppy (v1.0.4 and 1.0.3) while booting both gave the error message that it could not find the usr_cram.fs file. So I went ahead and booted to the command line to see if I could mount it manually. Well, it would not let me mount /dev/cdrom (no file or directory error), so I checked on that and its there. Then tried mount -a thinking maybe I was using the wrong /dev name. And it gave the same error for /dev/cdrom and for usr_cram.fs (no file or directory). Im still new to linux in general, and a complete newbie to puppy, and I dont know what to try next. Can anyone help?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I presume you are booting from the CD-ROM?

If not please explain.

How much RAM do you have?

#3 Post by newbie »

Yes, I am booting from CD-ROM, and I have 256MB of RAM

#4 Post by Guest »

It's not a scsi cdrom is it..

The other thing if may identify itself in a non-standard way

try
#mount /dev/hdb

or

#mount /dev/hdc

or

#mount /dev/hdd

Depending on which IDE channel it's on

What's the hardware specs

number of drives and such ?

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

It should work. I'm surprised you are having this problem with two different versions.

Without mounting usr_cram.fs you will be left with a very basic Linux system to do some troubleshooting with.

There should be a utility called probepart in /sbin

run probepart and see what it says is your cdrom. if it says /dev/hdd, then mount it as /dev/hdd. mount it as probepart sees it.

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom

it is strange to me that it won't mount usr_cram.fs in ram automatically with 256 MB. why?

if it were me I'd run memtest on the RAM just to be sure the RAM is in good condition.

----------

there is also a utility called probedisk, i don't know how much value it will be in this case, but I thought to mention it to you as most Linux distros I've seen don't have these utilities.

#6 Post by Guest »

i think it maybe that the cdrom identifys itself in a way puppy doesn't recoginse..the reason I say this is that the /dev/cdrom link isn't being created.

Try copying usr_cram.fs to the root of the cdrive..ie where the pup001 file lives

#7 Post by newbie »

No, it is not a SCSI cdrom. I ran probepart and found that the cdrom was /dev/hdg and tried mounting that and still nothing. I took the cd to a different computer, and no problems, so there's nothing wrong with the cd. And the usr_cram.fs is on the root of the cd. Im not really sure what the problem is, but I know its the machine, which doesn't surprise me, since it has been plauged with problems since the first day I bought it, so I think im finally just gonna trash the machine, but thanks for all the help.

#8 Post by Guest »

by default puppy's device entries in /dev don't go further than hdd9..

So as it does't have an entry higher, where your cd is it can't mount it..

How many drives and controller cards are you using ?

Puppy basically only has device files for drives on the first two IDE channels

If you want I can do a custom iso for you to support more drives

#9 Post by Guest »

go here

http://www.edgarbrits.net/puppy/hda-hdh ... -puppy.iso

Bog standard Puppy except instead of support for drives hda - hdd ie:4 drives supports hda-hdh ie:8 drives. I found a pci ide card at home plugged it in cdrom was on hdg and it booted no probs.

99.999999999% certain it will work for you

Give it about 30 mins from the time of this reply b4 you download