Important info for any UK 'Puppians' who use TalkTalk...

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike Walsh

Important info for any UK 'Puppians' who use TalkTalk...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

I feel a bit of a fool... :roll:

For several weeks now, I've been totally unable to use TeamViewer. Every time I fire it up, I keep getting the red 'light' (instead of the green one), and a message saying 'Not ready. Please check your connection...'

I haven't even been able to access the TeamViewer website, in order to download the new, 'native' version (which no longer uses WINE), so I could get on with building the new package.

It appears our ISP has been at the bottom of all this.

We're UK TalkTalk customers. Nearly a year ago, TalkTalk introduced a new feature, called 'HomeSafe', to block and/or control access to multiple websites, etc. It included a feature called 'KidSafe', which is for controlling what your children can access when online. This was 'on' by default.....and automatically blocked many perfectly innocent websites.....because the TalkTalk management considered them 'naughty'.

I had several months of having to reset this every month, until the system finally recognised that this was indeed what I wished it to do. We don't even have any children in the house.....

-----------------------------------------------

It now appears that TalkTalk introduced another new 'feature', called the 'Scammer Filter', sometime around the beginning of December. The main website was apparently the subject of a massive 'scammer' campaign over a year ago, the thrust of which was fraudsters from the Indian sub-continent attempting to persuade customers that they were having 'difficulties' with their accounts, and to get them to install TeamViewer in order that they could 'help' them with those 'problems'.....

We can all read between the lines as to what they were really up to!

The point being, however, that TalkTalk implemented this without informing anyone of the change.

I've had weeks of trying to chase up this issue on various forums. TalkTalk's 'LiveChat' feature is constantly 'unavailable', so I couldn't get any answers there. I finally joined TT's own user forum, to discover no end of complaints about the same thing.....including one from a chap who's a TalkTalk business customer, and provides a remote help service.....using TeamViewer. And this was despite TT being fully aware of his situation..!

-------------------------------------------------

For anyone else who's in the same situation as us, here's how you can get TeamViewer functioning again:-

1 ) Log into your TalkTalk account.

2 ) Click on the 'tab' row above the main page, where it says 'My Services'.

3 ) On the 'My Services' page, you'll see, below the 'HomeSafe' and 'KidSafe' controls, a new section; the 'Scammer Filter'. This is 'on' by default.

4 ) Click on the 'Off' radio button. A pop-up window will appear, warning of all sorts of dire consequences (you can ignore this!) After a few seconds of the Mozilla-like 'throbber' whizzing round in the centre of the temporarily greyed-out page, it will refresh itself.

5 ) Now you can try TeamViewer again, All things being equal, it will now be functioning as it should. Job done!

The TeamViewer website should also be accessible again.

Hope that's of some small use to some of you.

Mike. :wink: