Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#941 Post by rcrsn51 »

Hi Fred: Can you explain this?

I updated my mklive script to the "-5" kernel and generated a new ISO. That worked fine.

I then tried to update a machine that has nvidia graphics. I wanted to keep the current "changes" folder and drop in the new "live" folder.

I had previously installed the Debian nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver so I knew this was going to be a problem - it would be a mismatch with the new kernel.

When I rebooted, X refused to start. I tried to manually blacklist nvidia and un-blacklist nouveau, but that failed.

So I apt-got the new linux-headers-$(uname -r), ran nvidia-detect, removed the current driver and installed it again.

I expected the installation to take the usual several minutes, but it was done immediately.

But when I rebooted, it worked!

What happened here? Was this the correct way to update nvidia with a new kernel?

Bill

fredx181

#942 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Bill, sorry, I have very little experience with nvidia, I guess you did as you described here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 796#969796
and wonder why the driver install went so fast, right?

Maybe someone else can shine a light on this ?

EDIT: @ALL, It may come in handy to quickly load the DEVX in case compiling.
Here's DEVX containing most important build tools and latest linux-headers (4.9.0-5)
https://github.com/fredx181/StretchDog/ ... s/tag/v2.1
For i386 (pae) or amd64: 61-DEVX-Stretch-20180113-k4.9.0-5-....

Fred

rcrsn51

#943 Post by rcrsn51 »

I tried this on another nvidia machine and it worked the same way. Apparently only a small part of the nvidia install package is actually kernel-related.

If you remove the driver and re-install it, it's smart enough to just build the new kernel module.

Is there a better way in apt-get to remove-install in one step?

BTW, I have used the same procedure when I forgot to install the kernel headers at the beginning of the install and the operation failed.

---------------------

Regarding UUID in the frugal-installer. I started using this when working with "split installs". If you just use "from=/", Porteus triggers a search. Under certain conditions, it can find the wrong "live" folder.

By using UUID, you can specify the unique path to your install.

Bill
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#944 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Regarding UUID in the frugal-installer. I started using this when working with "split installs". If you just use "from=/", Porteus triggers a search. Under certain conditions, it can find the wrong "live" folder.
Yes, the UUID option is nice, for info, another way to prevent finding the wrong "live" folder you can place "live" in folder "unique_name" and use "from=/unique_name"
EDIT: I see now that your installer does that already, so you are right that the chance is zero when using UUID that it finds the wrong "live"

Fred

rcrsn51

#945 Post by rcrsn51 »

I would love to try this on one of those problematic machines where Puppy cannot find its main SFS file on a flash drive.

puppytahruser

re

#946 Post by puppytahruser »

Hi fredx181, is there any patch for "Spectre" and "Meltdown" in debian 9 (stretch) dog. And using "user" instead of "root" can give more protection from this two thread?

fredx181

#947 Post by fredx181 »

Hi puppytahruser,
Hi fredx181, is there any patch for "Spectre" and "Meltdown" in debian 9 (stretch) dog. And using "user" instead of "root" can give more protection from this two thread?
You can upgrade the kernel to latest security release by running "upgrade-kernel", see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 018#980018
But the patching is a work in progress, I guess, there's only a patch for "Meltdown" at this time, as far as I know.
And you can login as normal user "puppy" or create a new user and login with that.
(if that's going to give more protection, to be honest, I don't know)

Fred

anikin

#948 Post by anikin »

rcrsn51 wrote:I tried this on another nvidia machine and it worked the same way. Apparently only a small part of the nvidia install package is actually kernel-related.

If you remove the old version and install the new one, it's smart enough to just build the new kernel module.

Is there a better way in apt-get to remove-install in one step?

BTW, I have used the same procedure when I forgot to install the kernel headers at the beginning of the install and the operation failed.
---------------------
Bill

From my reading, nvidia cards will sometimes pick the open source, low quality "nouveau" driver. To make sure that never happens, imho, it's important to create a xorg.conf for your card. Debian says it's not needed, but I personally would rather be safe, than sorry and create it. Either manually: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
Identifier "My GPU"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection
or

apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
and run

nvidia-xconfig
command that will do it for you. Again, Debian says, xorg is configured automatically and this tool is deprecated, which doesn't mean it's useless. You can always do

apt-get remove nvidia-xconfig
. And also you can blacklist the nouveau driver: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
alias nouveau off
alias lbm-nouveau off
And also, before doing any nvidia installs, it's recommended to do some clean up first:

apt-get remove nvidia*

edit

A matter of semantics: a full-blown xorg.conf, of course isn't needed. It has been deprecated a long time ago. The correct way to describe that configuration is 20-nvidia.conf.

puppytahruser

re

#949 Post by puppytahruser »

Thank you Fredx181, I have done the upgrade-kernel as you say.

fredx181

#950 Post by fredx181 »

Updated mklive-stretch script
Added "xserver-xorg-video-intel" to the standard installed packages (without it, X won't start in some cases)

Also added xserver-xorg-video-intel to all custom configs (for preconfigured Desktop Environment choices).

Fred

rcrsn51

#951 Post by rcrsn51 »

The stretch-live-frugal-install script is updated here.

[Edit] Updated again 2018-01-18.
[Edit] Updated again 2018-01-19. This should be the final version for now.

------------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 12:40, edited 3 times in total.

rcrsn51

#952 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is ms-sys from here. It restores the MBR of a hard drive to its original DOS/Win state. Use it to remove the Grub4Dos bootloader.

For example:

ms-sys -m -w /dev/sda        #write an XP boot record
ms-sys -7 -w /dev/sda         #write a Win7 boot record
Use with care.

Remove the fake .gz extension.
Attachments
ms-sys_2.2.1_i386.deb.gz
(15.68 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
ms-sys_2.2.1_amd64.deb.gz
(14.42 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

rcrsn51

#953 Post by rcrsn51 »

Speaking of useful packages to include in mklive builds, I just acquired an old desktop box with AMD graphics. Before X will start, it needs firmware-amd-graphics.

This package may be too big to include in minimal builds, but you can install it from the console prompt:

dmesg | grep radeon | grep firmware
apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-amd-graphics
rmmod radeon
modprobe radeon
startx
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#954 Post by jrb »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is a simple file-sharing system for your home LAN. It uses Python to run a basic HTTP server.
I just tried your simple-python-http-server_1.1.deb in BionicDog and Tahrpup-6.5. It is absolutely BRILLIANT! Simple, straightforward and effective and way less overhead compared to Samba and a network browser. I used Palemoon to copy files from one machine to another and get the URL of directories. I then used PMirrorget to copy directories from one machine to the other. No worrying about passwords, sharenames or .conf files. Definitely "Keep It Simple" software. :D

You've outdone yourself Bill. I'll never use samba again.

Cheers, J

rcrsn51

#955 Post by rcrsn51 »

jrb wrote:... and get the URL of directories. I then used PMirrorget to copy directories from one machine to the other.
What a great idea! I had been wondering how to download a whole directory of files in one step.

PMirrorget is here.

And here is a version for Stretch. Remove the fake .gz extension.

1. Open the server in your web browser.
2. Right-click on a link to a directory and select Copy Link.
3. Run Pmirrorget and paste in the URL.
4. Select a destination folder on your computer.
5. Click Grab It.

---------------------
Attachments
pmirrorget_0.1.deb.gz
Updated 2018-01-20
(5.54 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 22 May 2018, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#956 Post by rcrsn51 »

Touchpad v1.5 posted here. It has a button to restart X after you change settings.

Max Headroom

#957 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day is this Stretch 64-bit? Please

:)K
PC is Not Political Correctness :P , it's a Personal Computer! Boycott the Evil M$ & Google!

rcrsn51

#958 Post by rcrsn51 »

Max Headroom wrote:G'day is this Stretch 64-bit?
It's either 32bit or 64bit.

rcrsn51

#959 Post by rcrsn51 »

Gnost is a partition backup/restore system. It creates image files of NTFS/ext/FAT partitions. It is a front-end for the packages ntfs-3g, partclone and lzop.

Extract the attachment below. It is NOT a fake .gz file! It contains the clickable script "gnost" and a help file.

Do NOT run the script yet. Read the help first.

[Edit] Project removed due to lack of interest. If anyone else wants this, they can send me a request.

---------------------------
Attachments
snappie.png
(14.18 KiB) Downloaded 618 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#960 Post by fredx181 »

Added to repos: "Usenet Poster", see info here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112597
Depends on python, yad and par2.
Install "posterpy" from Synaptic or with apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install posterpy
@Biill, Thanks, added link to your previous post to the "Useful info links" section at first post and added new v1.5 Touchpad package to repos.

Fred