Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 12 Dec 2018, 22:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Github and SmartGit
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
01micko

PostPosted: Mon 02 May 2016, 03:16    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
I presume that the same principles apply to woof-CE. Fork it first, to your own account. Then clone it.

Yep. Pretty much how git (not just GitHub) works in general. Although if not using a third party 'service' (such as GitHub or Bit-Bucket) it can get complex.

step

PostPosted: Mon 02 May 2016, 04:48    Post subject:  

With due respect, after the initial learning curve, I find using git commands from the shell easier than a GUI. Reasons:

1) If I want to undo an unwanted change the GUI is likely to make undoing the change harder rather than easier.
2) If I want to know how to do something a little bit more complex than the basic git operations, I need to look up the Internet - where advice and tutorials describe command-line git commands

If you're going to use github, their how-to's are pretty good too, especially when you need to know how to sync your local repo with the remote Github repo in unusual ways.

Specifically for browsing commit history and performing diff comparisons, I think a GUI-git-diff tool can be very useful. The standard git package provides gitk, and that's pretty good. I haven't searched for a better one, because I use vim with the vim-fugitive git plugin, which covers my needs.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 05 May 2016, 07:17    Post subject:  

Quote:
The standard git package provides gitk, and that's pretty good

Agreed. And I just found out about "git-gui", which is also part of the standard git package too. It also uses Tcl/Tk, and while gitk is mainly for repository browing; "git gui" is meant for actually doing things like commit, branching out, merging, etc. It is surprisingly functional Very Happy

Like step, I prefer to use command line too, but to each his own, I suppose.

Karl Godt

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 06:50    Post subject:  

I dislike " new " things .

GITHUB is smart enough .

It needs some lion to push through some enhancements against a hyena as mavrothal .

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 07:59    Post subject:  

I am still enjoying using SmartGit. As I never used the commandline, beyond a simple "clone", I don't appreciate how better or worse it would be using just the CLI.

SmartGit really is clever, but I discovered a bug yesterday. When I edit a file, SmartGit automatically detects that and highlights it as "modified", or if I add a file, it gets highlighted and marked as "untracked". Then I can choose to commit them.

Anyway, the bug. I edited a file, in SmartGit there are two windows, one showing the earlier committed version, the other showing the actual file, with coloured areas to show the differences. Little arrows enable copying these different bits between the files, or deleting. Except that it doesn't work properly. I found that I really have to commit the whole file.

Then today, I got my nickers in a twist. There was a bug in recent commits that I had pulled from the remote repo, so I chose to "revert" them. It did, but oh dear, no way could I un-revert them.

Eventually, I did a checkout from an earlier revision, to a new local branch, that I named "master-2". Then I pulled later commits from the remote repo.

My lack of knowledge about git is partly to blame. But I wonder if I would have fared any better if I had been trying to do all of this from the CLI?

At least with the GUI, I was able to look around and discover how to fix my problem, didn't even need to go away and read up on arcane CLI operations Wink

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 17:08    Post subject:  

I have to agree with Barry for 2 reasons: New users ease of understanding in a visual screen with helps AND the comfort of visually seeing the intent of what you are doing.

CLI has never given this, visually. (And I do recognize the ability of "all" uses of CLI, overall.) I do admit, EVERYTHING has shortcomings; whether screened uses or CLI.

This type of approach, Barry is showing, is very useful delivering a useful level of clarity.

+1

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun 2017, 07:12    Post subject:  

The return of SmartGit! Very Happy

http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00576

I wanted to make my work with OpenEmbedded available to everyone, and decided that github is the way to go.

Due to prior reasonably positive experiences with SmartGit, I have installed it on my PC. So far, working well.

I create a new 'oe-qky-src' repo on github, then in SmartGit cloned it, then copied in my local files, committed and pushed them. That all went well, intuitively.

april

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan 2018, 17:01    Post subject:  

Couple of primers on Git

https://product.hubspot.com/blog/git-and-github-tutorial-for-beginners

https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Programming
Jump to: