How to use Git and Github

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
april

How to use Git and Github

#1 Post by april »

Somebody asked 12 months ago or so how this was used and I came across this explanation so I'll put a link here and if I find the members question I'll post it there too. Searching is still a confusing muddle on this site unfortunately

https://product.hubspot.com/blog/git-an ... -beginners

Don't rain but it pours. Heres another one

https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

While you're at it, how about a short explanation of Git and Github? Sell them. What are they? Why would I want to find out about them? What can they do for me?

foxpup

#3 Post by foxpup »

Flash wrote:While you're at it, how about a short explanation of Git and Github? Sell them. What are they? Why would I want to find out about them? What can they do for me?
Yes! Pleeeeeaaaaase!

april

#4 Post by april »

Flash wrote:While you're at it, how about a short explanation of Git and Github? Sell them. What are they? Why would I want to find out about them? What can they do for me?
Thats what the links are for ! I posted because I think ...you asked . I know Barry did.

I aint no Salesgirl !

That said I use Github to store stuff ,my files and programs , as it provides continuity to my backup agenda.

foxpup

#5 Post by foxpup »

Just to store stuff? Not for programming?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

This ain't much of a How-to.

april

#7 Post by april »

OK
Place online to put anything you want
You use the program "git" ,.....type "git --help" in a terminal, and you can create a structure of Directories and files that will update whatever changes to those files you make on your home computer automatically.

If you read and follow the first link it will all become clear . Open a terminal and run it alongside the page.

If your repository is made PUBLIC it will be FREE for you .
You have to pay to keep it PRIVATE.

Send all donations to April Cairns Marina -they know me -flowers and chocolates are good. Cash is better. Sometimes even wind is acceptable.

6502coder

#8 Post by 6502coder »

I found the links to be very informative. Thanks.