Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 May 2018, 23:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Which Puppy can run my toaster?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Author Message
lolo69


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 73
Location: Your heart <3

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2018, 19:49    Post subject:  Which Puppy can run my toaster?  

Motherboard: 915P-ICH6
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Ram Memory: 512mb

It has ran slacko 6.x, puppy arcade 11, Lucid, and Tahrpup 6.0.5 very well.

Could someone list every puppy this toaster can run?
Im needing a new one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
s243a

Joined: 02 Sep 2014
Posts: 952

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 01:43    Post subject:  

You could try classic pup:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy214X
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
TyroBGinner

Joined: 30 Mar 2016
Posts: 218

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 02:25    Post subject:  

Run your toaster? The better question is how can I install Linux on my toothbrush? Now that would be the ultimate in embedded device hacking.

By the way, long live Puppy Arcade 11.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
phat7

Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 03:13    Post subject:  

This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 12192
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 05:45    Post subject:  

Hi lolo69.

Your choice, really.

There is literally a thousand Pups to choose from, but here are a few that I have run
on an equipment similar to yours -- and liked:

Dejan's DPup-4.87 -- another great classic

Slim 6 -- a slimmer Slacko 5.99

Iguleder's librePup -- based on the Trisquel distro, has no proprietary apps at all.

Moat's ChloePup R27 -- a "de luxe Pup", with many fonts and backgrounds.

They are all available at ally's Puppy section / repository on archive.net.
(And we should have no end of thanks to ally for his patience and organization skills!) Smile

Have fun!

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"Logical entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity." | |
« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mistfire

Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 814
Location: PH

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 06:19    Post subject:  

Try X-Slacko Slim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
lolo69


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 73
Location: Your heart <3

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 07:22    Post subject:  

phat7 wrote:
This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112546
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
lolo69


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 73
Location: Your heart <3

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 07:39    Post subject:  

s243a wrote:
You could try classic pup:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy214X
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553


Really im looking for something with better features than "It can now play mp4 videos".

Im not saying it's bad but i want something... a little heavier than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2351
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 07:47    Post subject:  

lolo69 wrote:
phat7 wrote:
This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112546


You don't need any new puppys as they ALL mostly operate the same way. What you need to do , is to change your way of operating puppy to avoid the mess you got yourself into previously. For a new user the recommended, easiest, safe way to operate any puppy is to do a frugal install and use a savefile or savefolder to save all your settings, etc. This savefile/folder needs to be backed up so you can have a fall back if something goes wrong that you can't fix. A frugal install has the added advantage that the base sfs (the original operating system) is read-only and always stays the same so you can't mess it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
lolo69


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 73
Location: Your heart <3

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 08:12    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hi lolo69.

Your choice, really.

There is literally a thousand Pups to choose from, but here are a few that I have run
on an equipment similar to yours -- and liked:

Dejan's DPup-4.87 -- another great classic

Slim 6 -- a slimmer Slacko 5.99

Iguleder's librePup -- based on the Trisquel distro, has no proprietary apps at all.

Moat's ChloePup R27 -- a "de luxe Pup", with many fonts and backgrounds.

They are all available at ally's Puppy section / repository on archive.net.
(And we should have no end of thanks to ally for his patience and organization skills!) Smile

Have fun!

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Dpup
Here is a list of the Dpup's version, Does anyone which has better compatibility with Debian packages?

Quote:
Slim 6 -- a slimmer Slacko 5.99

I used slacko and i don't want to use something "slimmer" than that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
lolo69


Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 73
Location: Your heart <3

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 08:15    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
lolo69 wrote:
phat7 wrote:
This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112546


You don't need any new puppys as they ALL mostly operate the same way. What you need to do , is to change your way of operating puppy to avoid the mess you got yourself into previously. For a new user the recommended, easiest, safe way to operate any puppy is to do a frugal install and use a savefile or savefolder to save all your settings, etc. This savefile/folder needs to be backed up so you can have a fall back if something goes wrong that you can't fix. A frugal install has the added advantage that the base sfs (the original operating system) is read-only and always stays the same so you can't mess it up.


Thanks for answer.But the real reason of searching new puppies id that the ones i have used i have had problems with wine, python, x, and many others. So im looking for something with more... compatibility? i think so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 2351
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 09:40    Post subject:  

lolo69 wrote:
nic007 wrote:
lolo69 wrote:
phat7 wrote:
This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112546


You don't need any new puppys as they ALL mostly operate the same way. What you need to do , is to change your way of operating puppy to avoid the mess you got yourself into previously. For a new user the recommended, easiest, safe way to operate any puppy is to do a frugal install and use a savefile or savefolder to save all your settings, etc. This savefile/folder needs to be backed up so you can have a fall back if something goes wrong that you can't fix. A frugal install has the added advantage that the base sfs (the original operating system) is read-only and always stays the same so you can't mess it up.


Thanks for answer.But the real reason of searching new puppies id that the ones i have used i have had problems with wine, python, x, and many others. So im looking for something with more... compatibility? i think so.


I'll be surprised if you find another Puppy with "better compatibility features" than Tahr 6.0.5. Been running Wine for years so that shouldn't be a problem (not all windows programs run in Wine though).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
6502coder


Joined: 23 Mar 2009
Posts: 455
Location: Western United States

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 16:40    Post subject:  

You might not ever be happy with Puppy. You want "compatibility" but the fact is that Puppy does some things differently from mainstream distros and you either accept that and deal with it, or you don't.

As someone who wants compatibility and a lot of stuff built-in as standard equipment, you'd be much better off with a mainstream distro. The problem -- as I'm sure you're aware -- is that there's no mainstream distro that will give you the speed of a Puppy in that measly 512 MB of RAM. You're asking for the impossible.

If you had at least 1 GB of RAM I could happily recommend you try LXLE, a Lubuntu derivative that runs very nicely for me on a old P4 system and has full Ubuntu compatibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0490s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0034s) ][ GZIP on ]