Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 May 2018, 08:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
I deleted all thumbnails, How to get them back?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 7 [97 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
lolo69

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2018, 23:16    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
lolo69 wrote:
Quote:
Interesting. And what should it generate?

That's what i ask, what were you hoping for? when you drag anything onto the desktop it creates a shortcut.
You told me that it generates a triangle and I asked you what (icon) it should generate. I know that it creates a shortcut...

Your globicons file looks normal and as you can see the expected icon is /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/console48.png.
Now go to /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps and click on console48.png. Verify that this icon indeed shows a console and not a triangle.

If the icon is OK, rightclick the urxvt triangle icon on your desktop and go to File 'console' (name may be different) => Set Icon.
The field "Drop an icon file here" should show /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/console48.png. Does it? If not, what does it show? And what happens when you drag the file console48.png into the field?

Have you even seen the past replies before you entered into the talk?
I CANT see a single image. If i click console48.png it will show a error sign you can see above in the second page:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112546&start=15
lolo69

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2018, 23:32    Post subject:  

Well, i'm sleepy. It's 23:34pm here so i'm gonna sleep. see you later. Razz
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2018, 23:46    Post subject:  

lolo69 wrote:
Have you even seen the past replies before you entered into the talk?
I CANT see a single image. If i click console48.png it will show a error sign you can see above in the second page:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112546&start=15

Good bye!

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Sat 27 Jan 2018, 20:57; edited 2 times in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 01:33    Post subject:  

I think you just need to do a clean fresh new install.

If you do a frugal install.
Anything that is added or changed is only stored in the save file or folder.

If the frugal install is on a Linux (ext 3, or 4) formatted location it can be a save folder.
This is the easiest save to use.

If you get everything setup and added to Tahrpup the way you want it.
Make a copy of the save.
Add bak. to the beginning of the name.
This keeps it from being used.
(To make it a working save remove the bak. from the name).

To recover from a bad nonworking condition.
All you have to do is replace the bad save with the good copy you made.

You can make a new copy of the save anytime you want to or you add something you want to always have.

menu>Utility>Pupsave Backup
That program will make a backup of the save anytime you run it.

You can have all the save backups you want or replace with a new one anytime you want.

TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 02:19    Post subject:  

I will respond with something entirely non-relevant:

This exchange began a little more than a day ago and has generated six pages of responses??? Wow... You would think that lolo had released BeaverPup 8.5, although "BeaverKit" might be more appropriate.

He also placed a message in the "Derivatives" section. Witness my entertaining retort there.
musher0

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 05:59    Post subject:  

TyroBGinner wrote:
(...)
This exchange began a little more than a day ago and has generated six pages of responses??? Wow...
(...)

The factors for interest are there:

-- It's a major problem
-- caused by a popular multi-platform cleaning application
-- experienced by an unsuspecting forum member (could be any of us)

-- this community has keen minds
-- and they like to help.

IMO, the fast growth of this thread is no mystery.

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
lolo69

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 07:28    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
I think you just need to do a clean fresh new install.

If you do a frugal install.
Anything that is added or changed is only stored in the save file or folder.

If the frugal install is on a Linux (ext 3, or 4) formatted location it can be a save folder.
This is the easiest save to use.

If you get everything setup and added to Tahrpup the way you want it.
Make a copy of the save.
Add bak. to the beginning of the name.
This keeps it from being used.
(To make it a working save remove the bak. from the name).

To recover from a bad nonworking condition.
All you have to do is replace the bad save with the good copy you made.

You can make a new copy of the save anytime you want to or you add something you want to always have.

menu>Utility>Pupsave Backup
That program will make a backup of the save anytime you run it.

You can have all the save backups you want or replace with a new one anytime you want.

I have two partitions with puppy, both use ext2, it still works?
theru

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 16:20    Post subject:  

ext2 partitions are not recommended as they don't do journaling and are thus sensitive to file corruption. The only times where ext2 would make sense is on media with a limited number of writes like thumb drives but over the years this has become less of an issue.

I would recommend to boot from a live medium and do a filesystem check on the partition. This has helped me in the past with ghost files or non-deletable files.

I haven't tested it myself but this should convert an unmounted partition from ext2 to ext3 without data loss:

Code:
tune2fs -j /dev/sda1

Change sda1 to the correct partition if needed.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 17:05    Post subject:  

For the above reasons. Grub4dos config, when it makes a boot menu, it puts pfix=fsck option in the menu entry.
Example:
title Puppy xenialpup64 7.5 (sdc7/xenialpup6475uefi)
uuid 1cd0f861-5576-42aa-af41-d09a6d260bc9
kernel /xenialpup6475uefi/vmlinuz psubdir=xenialpup6475uefi pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /xenialpup6475uefi/initrd.gz

The pfix=fsck does a check of the file system and finds and corrects any errors as part of a normal Puppy boot up.
This is really needed with ext 2 formats, but also can help with other Linux formats.

Look and see if you already have this in the boot menu entries.
If no. Add it.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 17:56    Post subject:  

The other thread began by including a variant of the plea "God, Why me?" http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=980502#980502

So I am reminded of the fable I know of as "Frank and the Flood". Frank was caught in a flood but managed to climb onto a small tree. The rain continued, the water kept rising, and Frank prayed to God, "Help me." An Imam rowed by and beckoned to him. But Frank waved him off saying "God will save me". The Iman was followed in turn by a Rabbi, a Catholic Priest, and a Protestant Minister, but on each occasion even though the water kept rising Frank waved them off repeating "God will help me". Finally, the Rescue Squad rowed by. But again Frank waved them off.

Appearing before the Pearly Gates, Frank angrily demanded "Why me?". Saint Peter responded, "We sent you an Imam, a Rabbi, a Catholic Priest, a Protestant Minister and the Rescue Squad. All you had to do was get into a boat."

Among the ways to do things are The Right Way, The Wrong Way, The Army Way and Frank Sinatra does it his way. With Puppy Linux, there are two ways to effect an installation: Full and Frugal. Unfortunately, those terms have specialized meanings which only those already familiar with Puppy Linux recognize. Newbies familiar with Windows, Macs and almost every other Linux distribution are lead by the juxtaposition of "Full" and "Frugal" to the assumption that "Frugal" is a "cut-down, incomplete" version. It is not.

Puppy Linux is one of perhaps four out of the hundreds of Linux distributions which was created to function as a Frugal install. All that means "It does not require an entire partition (can be run from a folder) and consequently allows you to frugally/economically use the storage medium on which Puppy is installed". It will co-exist on a drive-partition with one "Full Install" and as many other Frugal installs as the space of that partition permits.

Because they can be run from a folder, frugal installs make it easy to try several different ones, and to update or upgrade any without fear of loosing your old. You just put them in a different folder and re-run or edit your boot menu.

Puppy Linux was initially created to run from a CD by reading the files on the CD into Random Access Memory. [The technique of writing files back to the CD came later]. That is the basic mechanism by which Frugal Installs to hard-drives or USB-Keys still operate: the files which otherwise would be located on a CD are placed on a hard-drive or USB-Key. By so managing 'an installation' Puppy Linux is able to maintain the distinction between Random Access Memory and the storage media. It is only a slight exaggeration to say that a frugally installed Puppy "runs in RAM". A Full install --of Puppy or any other operating system-- is constructed to constantly read from and write to storage. A Frugally installed Puppy only reads from Storage when some file, not already in RAM, is needed. And it only writes to Storage when a "Save" is executed. The default periodic Save can be turned off. Applications "installed" are only initially in RAM. They can be tested in that condition to discover if they work, if they conflict with other applications, if they pose a problem. They only become part of a Frugal Puppy operating system if and when a Save is preformed.

Had lolo69 been running a Frugal install, he could have 'installed' bleachbit --it would only have been in RAM-- he could have run it after restarting-x, discovered the problem and shut-down/rebooted without Saving. The problem would have only existed in RAM: links in RAM to the actual files in Storage would have been "whited-out" --the links in RAM to them broken-- but the files, themselves, would still have been in Storage. By not Saving that condition, the 'white-outs' --which only then existed in RAM-- would have, themselves, been cleared. On shut-down/reboot whatever is in RAM is cleared. The files in Storage, unmodified by a Save, would have been in the same condition they had been before lolo69 experimented with bleachbit.

The files in a Frugal install of Tahrpup initially consist of initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_tahr_xxx.sfs and zdrv_tahr_xxx.sfs [xxx representing whichever version lolo69 has]. These are all compressed-Read-Only files. That condition serves two purposes, one intentional, one incidental but IMHO of more importance. It was intended that they take up little storage space -- 1/3 to 1/2 of that required by uncompressed versions-- and that they could not be modified/written to. But Puppies --whether Full or Frugal-- run as "root"; that is with the administrative privilege to access any file and modify any file. Compression, however, serves the incidental purpose of requiring decompression for any modification to be made. So while it is possible to modify these files, lolo69 would find it difficult and a hacker almost impossible.

A Full install decompresses these files providing a 'soft-target' to hackers to mess with your system. [Other Linuxes don't have that problem. They don't run 'as root'].

The first time you boot into a Frugal Puppy and shut down, you are offered the opportunity to create a SaveFile [and in newer Puppies a SaveFolder] in which the changes you've made and will make in the future can be preserved. A SaveFile is compressed and READ-WRITE. A SaveFolder is uncompressed Read-Write. Either can be backuped or copied, and the copy placed where it can be protected and substituted if a problem arises with the other SaveFile/Folder. Full installs don't use SaveFiles/Folders.

Full installs don't preserve the distinction between RAM and Storage. Installations and changes are immediately written to storage: it is a unitary system. In Frugal Installs the files in storage are copied into RAM and "merged" -- sort of like the use of layering in graphic programs. That ability to merge compressed files in RAM has been extended beyond the original files provided by a Puppy's Dev and the SaveFile/Folder created by the user. Entire applications, even several applications, can be offered as SFSes --squashed file systems-- which Frugal Puppies merge (load) into RAM forming your system 'on this occasion'. Because that system only exists in RAM it is easy to test/upgrade a new version of that application [unload the old, load the new, decide which is better since both still exist] and use applications which conflict with each other (unload one when needing the other). Full installs can't use the 'merge-file' mechanism. SFSes have to be 'installed' as if they were pets.

10 or more years ago computers typically sold with only 256 or less Mbs of RAM; often with only 128 Mbs. Both the size of operating systems and applications were getting larger. Decompressing files into RAM and holding many files in RAM as required by a Frugal Install presented a problem to the 'then old' and even some then new computers. The use of SFSes to provide applications did not exist. (I don't think that the security risk of running a Full install as root was even considered).The technique of a Full install was developed to overcome that problem. And the builtin Puppy Installer was modified and edited to provide a choice between Frugal and Full Install.

Today, even comparatively 'old' computers have over 512 Mbs of RAM. In the past decade nothing has been done to overcome the short-comings of a Full install. All development has centered on perfecting a Frugal Install and facilitating its potential. But no creator of a Puppy or derivative has changed the instructions provided to a newby when he or she runs Puppy Installer. And even if that wording were changed, myriads of old Puppy versions remain available for newbies to guess wrong about the meanings of Full and Frugal and later find themselves up a tree during a flood.

Hi, lolo69. I'm offering to take you on my boat. Here's all you have to do:

1. Boot into Puppy Arcade.
2. When you reach desktop, note which of the two desktop drive icons just above the taskbar has an "x" in its top-right corner. Left-Click it.
3. The window which opens will show you the contents of the folder on which (the Full install? of) Arcade is located. We're going to create a frugal install of Tahrpup on that partition. Later we can change things. But for now we just want to do something simple. Right-click an empty space and from the popup menu, select New Directory. Give it the name tahr2. [I'll explain why later]. Left-Click the tahr2 folder to open it, and leave it opened.
4. Find the tarhpup ISO you downloaded or download a new one from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/. Place it in the tahr2 folder.
5. Left-click the ISO. In the window which opens you'll see the files named initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_tahr_xxx.sfs and zdrv_tahr_xxx.sfs. LEFT-PRESS, hold then drag each of those files into the tahr2 folder. Left-click the ISO again to close it.
6. Run Menu>System>grub4dos. It will install itself to the first of your 2 partitions, and create a menu.lst of all the operating systems you have on your computer; puppy-arcade, the new frugal install of tahrpup identified as being from tahr2 folder and your old tahrpup Full install. [I used the name tahr2 to make it easy to identify this frugal install. IIRC, grub4dos's menu,lst will show it first as a Frugal install before displaying Full installs. But, I don't always trust my memory].
7. Boot into your frugal install of tahrpup and follow the instructions previously provided for creating a SaveFile. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=980460#980460

When it's up and running let us know and we'll provide instructions on deleting the old-broken tahrpup and its files.

mikesLr
lolo69

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 19:48    Post subject:  

mikeslr
That reply is actually gold.
Excuse me, i can't write a long
answer to give you the thanks.
but...

Really, Thank You I will take on your boat.

I will be occupied a couple of days so please don't wait
me to respond early. But i will try it.

See you in some days to communicate How this ends.

Bye.
lolo69

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jan 2018, 20:51    Post subject:  

Quote:
I will be occupied a couple of days

Two days, two weeks... but not two months.

Sorry, I got sick and i'm getting better so it's time to continue (If someone still wants to help me).

Just like mikeslr suggested i'm now using tahrpup frugally installed and everything is fine, so Which is the next step?
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 06:25    Post subject:  

lolo69 wrote:
Just like mikeslr suggested i'm now using tahrpup frugally installed and everything is fine, so Which is the next step?

Don't use BleachBit Smile (or use it and see if messes up your icons again)
lolo69

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 09:56    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
lolo69 wrote:

Don't use BleachBit Smile (or use it and see if messes up your icons again)

I tried anything but i couldn't mess it up again... idk y.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jan 2018, 11:24    Post subject: Getting rid of the broken tahrpup files etc.  

Hi All,

Just having a cup of coffee and clearing my head before a complicated morning routine. And have a busy day ahead of me. So if someone else can help before I get to it that would be great.

Here's the situation as I recall. lolo69 had a working Arcade on one partition and a broken Tahrpup Full Install on a second partition. The instructions were to create a Frugal install on the same partition as Arcade. The follow up I had in mind was to:

Each step may require instructions.

1, Reformat as Linux Ext 3 the now unused partition which now just holds the broken Full Tarhpup.

2. Create a Folder on the above partition named "Tahr3". Copy the "necessary" files from the Tahr2 Folder into it, using either Arcade or Tahr2 booted without the Save File, i.e. pfix=ram.

3. Re-run grub4dos, or just edit menu.lst to create entry for Tahr3.

4. Test Tahr 3 to make certain its working properly.

5. Optional: Delete Tahr2.

6. Optional: Set up Tahr3 to boot Pupmode 13 --Removing Automatic Save.

7. Optional: Move files out of /root, symlinking them back.

But before any of above, double check to make certain lolo69 has both Arcade, Tahr2 and grub4dos on one partition and only the broken Full Tahrpup on the other.

mikesLr
Page 6 of 7 [97 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: