Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rufwoof

#2701 Post by rufwoof »

Yep, all fine after another recent install.

I've switched over to using grub2 as my bootloader as that supports kopenbsd /bsd.rd i.e. I can use Linux to download the latest OBSD snapshot bsd.rd file to the / folder of Linux, and then boot that in order to (re)install (or update) OBSD.

I edited /etc/grub.d/40_custom to contain ...

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
#
# Confusing ... drives are numbered from 0, partitions are numbered from 1
# if you get invalid signature errors you've misnumbered things
# run update-grub after changing
# or may have to rebuild using grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

menuentry 'OpenBSD' {
set root=(hd0,4)
chainloader +1
}

menuentry 'OpenBSD bsd.rd' {
kopenbsd /bsd.rd
}
where my OBSD partition is sda4, and the bootloader menu now includes those two additional boot options.

Makes reinstalling or updating to the latest snapshot easier (one less reboot involved). I have a script that I store on a linux partition that I mount and run after installation that does all my configuring of OBSD, so literally takes just minute to install and configure.

EDIT:

Reinstalling grub4dos again and adding a menu.lst entry of

Code: Select all

title chain grub2
find --set-root /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
boot
chains from the grub4dos menu to the grub2 menu.
Last edited by rufwoof on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2702 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Ubuntu 17.10.1 to the hard drive of my Acer desktop:

System: Host: bill-Aspire-M5620 Kernel: 4.13.0-30-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
Distro: Ubuntu 17.10
Machine: Device: desktop System: ACER product: Aspire M5620 v: R01-A4 serial: N/A
Mobo: ACER model: G33T-AM v: 1.0 serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: R01-A4 date: 12/19/2007
Battery hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
hidpp__1: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1603/2403 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 ) drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111
Network: Card-1: Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.7% used)
Info: Processes: 245 Uptime: 1:07 Memory: 1805.3/7976.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.37

I read the instructions on how to get the Spectre Mitigation Updates
Available for Testing in Ubuntu Proposed and enabled it.

I added applications etc, and it's working okay so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(92.26 KiB) Downloaded 1487 times

belham2

MX-17-Jan-15-2018-64bit-snapshot

#2703 Post by belham2 »

Updated my frugal-install persist-choice-on-shutdown MX-17 64-bit. Having both the ease of updates (and notifications), which are hassle free, along with being a 'frugal' install with choice on persistence at shutdown (whether to save session, root and/or home), has made this the go to OS in the 'frugal' Linux world. It runs super and quick, and I am even using an old 10MB-write-speed/4MB read-speed USB 2.0 stick on an 10 yr old motherboard with an Athlon X2 chip. How is that possible? Because among the many things MX-Linux provides, it is super easy to check the "boot-options" box that you want the complete "linuxfs' (which holds everything) loaded into RAM at boot. Bingo, you've got lickety-split speeds just like any pup.

It's not fiction to say that all puppies (and possibly ddogs) have been usurped by MX_linux/AntiX with the GUI ease of use for updates, boot settings, and everything else (like the power of "Firejail" and "Firetools" integrated into the OS, where it's available for any program with one-click ease). Give MX-Linux/AntiX a try, you will not be disappointed. Your world will be opened with the power of always knowing you're updated to the very latest fixes, yet you're running "frugally" and totally in RAM, with a choice to save either home and/or root at shutdown. It is beautiful. :wink:
Attachments
MX-17-frugal-install-tray-updates-one-click-ease.png
(119.78 KiB) Downloaded 1350 times
Firejail-and-FireTools-gui.jpg
(154.88 KiB) Downloaded 1329 times
MX-17-Jan-15-2018-frugal64bit-persist-choice-at-shutdown.png
(144.73 KiB) Downloaded 1318 times

wiak

Re: MX-17-Jan-15-2018-64bit-snapshot

#2704 Post by wiak »

belham2 wrote: It's not fiction to say that all puppies (and possibly ddogs) have been usurped by MX_linux/AntiX with the GUI ease of use for updates, boot settings, and everything else (like the power of "Firejail" and "Firetools" integrated into the OS, where it's available for any program with one-click ease). Give MX-Linux/AntiX a try, you will not be disappointed. Your world will be opened with the power of always knowing you're updated to the very latest fixes, yet you're running "frugally" and totally in RAM, with a choice to save either home and/or root at shutdown. It is beautiful. :wink:
No doubt distributions from that stable will be excellent. I thought of trying both Anti-X and MX-Linux some time ago but haven't bothered for one main reason - I want a Ubuntu-based distribution (they are Debian-based) because some apps my family use are packaged specifically for Ubuntu - and also, unlike many here, I want systemd because sysVinit was long needing replaced (I also want pulseaudio - oh well...). However, any comparison to Pup/Dog offerings is also apples versus oranges in terms of intial download size: MX-Linux is a 1.2GB download (do correct me if I'm wrong) and AntiX almost 800GB (more than twice the size of the Dogs or Pups) - that's not a big deal but still a factor in any reasonable comparison. The Dogs have full apt/Synaptics capabilities anyway - so I can easily add any program I want without that extra stuff I don't need or want. I certainly don't want XFCE (not hugely resource heavy, but too heavy for my own wishes (though easy enough to apt-get to a Dog if I ever wanted it) - simple Openbox with Roxpinboard/tint2 is what I really prefer - love the simple combination). To run any reasonably well-featured desktop-based system in RAM will always need lots of RAM - my laptop only has 2GB - no way it could run any such system fully from RAM.

However, just to test the look and feel I'll give MX-linux a try sometime.

But XenialDog64 fits my own personal Dog needs almost perfectly (hard to fault at all actually) and for pups I generally use Slacko64, but XenialPup not too bad either - all can be tailored/fine-tuned/dressed-up easily enough, so can't see the point of going for a bigger distribution like MX-linux really anyway (though I'd be more interested if they were Ubuntu-based), but fine, I will try it to see if I truly find anything there facility-wise I'd like to also see in my XenialDog - easy enough to borrow/copy any nice facilities I'm sure.

I suppose I could try AntiX core since that's about Pup/Dog-size but MXLinux functionality probably more interesting. I'm wondering if systemd is an option provided (I guess not). EDIT: Oops... AntiX core doesn't include X - em, ok, has to be full versions to try I'm afraid.

wiak
Last edited by wiak on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:18, edited 2 times in total.

belham2

#2705 Post by belham2 »

....MX-17 followup (from above)

Almost forgot, wanted to say MX-17 comes with "Featherpad" as its default text-editor. Having used Featherpad for a bit now,. I actually think it is better than Gedit and/or Leafpad. Lightweight and qt5, being independent of any desktop, is nice, and the features are great:

-Drag-and-drop support, including tab detachment and attachment;
-X11 virtual desktop awareness (using tabs on current desktop but opening a new window on another);
-An optionally permanent search-bar with a different search entry for each tab;
-Instant highlighting of found matches when searching;
-A docked window for text replacement;
-Support for showing line numbers and jumping to a specific line;
-Automatic detection of text encoding as far as possible and optional saving with encoding;
-Syntax highlighting for common programming languages;
-Session management;
-Side-pane mode;
-Printing;
-Text zooming;
-Appropriate but non-interrupting prompts; and
-Other features that can be found in its settings, on its menus or when it is actually used.

I may give compiling Featherpad a go in a pup, probably in radky's excellent dpup. I'll post the 'compile result' in Utilities if anyone wants to try it. For reference, here's the Featherpad homepage on Github:

https://github.com/tsujan/FeatherPad

backi

#2706 Post by backi »

Hi !
What i miss somehow in MX-Linux/Antix is the possibility to use a SAVE-FOLDER instead of a SAVE-FILE .
SAVE-FOLDER (like in the "Dogs" ) is quite handy to edit/copy over,remove or manipulate the SAVE-FOLDER outside the running System .SAVE-FOLDER is also flexible for changing its size automatically .Save-Folder Option is what i do miss in MX-Linux/Antix .
Did try it for a while ,its an excellent Distro ...those who are working on it are sophisticated,clever guys ......lots of cool Gimmicks ......don`t know why -but somehow went back using my beloved " Dogs " on a daily Basis........Maybe a bad case of "old Habits never die " .
There are some cool Concepts/Features to explore and to contemplate about in Mx-Linux/Antix to adapt maybe in the"Dogs " .
But Mx-Linux/Antix are fat Beasts compared to the "Dogs" .
I do like their Slimness and Minimalism .Hard to compete with .So sweet and cute but full of Power .They transformed my old Toshiba 3000 Satellite with 1 Gigs Ram into Starship-Enterprise .With full and easy access to the Center of the Ubuntu or Debian Repo Galaxy .How cool is that .
I have to admit .....I am a fanatic Debian/Xenial Dog Fan-boy .But maybe someone more skilled than me is able to extract/adapt some of those clever Apps/Gimmicks/Tools/Features out of this excellent Distro and implement them into the "Dogs" .There is always something to learn and to optimize .

Cheers !

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2707 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Ubuntu 17.10 to the hard drive of my HP desktop:

System: Host: bill-HPE-410f Kernel: 4.13.0-31-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2
Distro: Ubuntu 17.10
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HPE-410f serial: N/A
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 serial: N/A BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.02 date: 07/21/2010
CPU: Hexa core AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5550/5570/5630/6510/6610/7570]
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 ) driver: radeon Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD REDWOOD (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-31-generic, LLVM 5.0.0) version: 3.3 Mesa 17.2.4
Network: Card-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (1.0% used)
Weather: Conditions: 25 F (-4 C) - Overcast Time: January 23, 11:42 PM EST
Info: Processes: 236 Uptime: 2:40 Memory: 1027.0/7977.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.37

Computer is connected to a 32" TV by hdmi cable.
Works well so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(124.47 KiB) Downloaded 1198 times

belham2

#2708 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Hi !
What i miss somehow in MX-Linux/Antix is the possibility to use a SAVE-FOLDER instead of a SAVE-FILE .
SAVE-FOLDER (like in the "Dogs" ) is quite handy to edit/copy over,remove or manipulate the SAVE-FOLDER outside the running System .SAVE-FOLDER is also flexible for changing its size automatically .Save-Folder Option is what i do miss in MX-Linux/Antix

Cheers !

Hi Backi,

Not too sure what you mean by what you wrote above? MX_linux/AntiX uses two save files, one for home (homefs) and one for root (rootfs), which both can be placed in a Savefolder if you want and modified whenever (running "live, frugal" or not).

And you can, if desired, set up your "frugal" MX/AntiX-install to do the following things:

1) save during and/or at shutdown, choice given, of both homefs and rootfs (puppy does not have this yet---when you hit save in any puppy, it saves the whole damn thing going on in a frugal install. With MX, you get fine, granular control

2) both homefs and rootfs can be edited "live", "on-the-fly" and/or from another distro if you want.

Are you sure you really, honestly, actually tried either distro?

Yes, my Ddogs are wonderful, but the AntiX/MX developers are doing things many of us have asked about for years on Murga here (for both DDogs, Pups and/or otherwise). For example: like separating the saving function into either just "home" changes or just "root" changes, whether live and/or not, is one of them. Think about how 'powerful' that is, compared to what pups and ddogs do.

Really, really think you need to look again at what you did when installed & tried MX and/or AntiX, because based on what you wrote, you missed the whole point of AntiX/ MX_linux 'frugal" installs. :cry:

Also, MX-Linux a "fat" distro? Tell me, when the choice (at boot) is presented----which you can either save and/or not this "choice" for subsequent boots,----to load every single thing into RAM, how does it matter if our Ddogs are 500-700MB (which most all DDogs are when you add basic stuff) vs AntiX (850MB) and/or MX-Linux (1.1GB)? Answer: it matters in no way. RAM is ram, and it does not care if you are running 200MB or 2GB. Humans cannot tell the difference when they have sufficient RAM (the whole point of the zram conversation), unless they are pissing around on 2GB of RAM or less & using, say, an ATOM and/or old P4 processor. This size issue, thus, becomes a moot point (translation: it is all in "our" heads), and this all is even more clearer when you realize the wealth of programs put into MX-Linux, that no pup and/or Ddog could equally do WITHOUT themselves becoming more than 1GB in ISO size.

Anyhow, hope you are well and are in good health & spirits. Spring is still ~3 months away......yuck.....though thankfully winter is mild this year in the Prüm - Saarbrücken corridor. Hope much it stays that way :wink:

backi

#2709 Post by backi »

Hi Belham !

Thanks for your kind Words .
Every single Argument you said is really true.Mx-Linux is a fantastic Distro with an abundance of Choices/Tools--- no Question .Kind of Swiss Knife .
I must have overlooked somehow the Choice to save to Savefile or Savefolder .(Due to so many Choices ).
My mistake .
But even if it were so , this would be just minor and no Argument against such a great Distro .

You wrote :
" Really, really think you need to look again at what you did when installed & tried MX and/or AntiX, because based on what you wrote, you missed the whole point of AntiX/ MX_linux 'frugal" installs "

This is correct .I just did an superficial Test and did not went further deep into Mx/Antix . There is a lot to explore (which i maybe did not intensive enough ----due a lack of Time) .
I am just a bloody Amateur .
But my main Objective , from my Intuition , was to animate/provoke People from the Dog/Puppy Crews to realize/discover this Gem .
Think this was your Intention too ....right?

Lost in my Ode to the"Dogs" i somehow missed the Target .

There are a lot of Functions/Apps/ intelligent Features and a lot Inspirations to gain from , which maybe could be implemented into Puppies or Dogs and could help to raise them again to another Level of Choice and Functionality ....(so i feel ) . But i will leave this to the Experts .

Yeah.... here in Koblenz/Andernach/Rhein/Eifel is a touch of Spring in the Air too .

Hope your fine Belham......Greetings ! :)

Colonel Panic

#2710 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've been feeling recently that I've had enough of Linux Lite's mostly grey themes but I didn't want to delete it from my hard drive, so I've been experimenting with tiling window managers. i3, which I'm using now, is worth a look;

https://i3wm.org/screenshots/
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Billtoo

Other Distros

#2711 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Ubuntu 16.04.3 to the hard drive of my Macmini, in Software
& Updates I enabled the Developer Options repository which adds
Pre-released updates (xenial proposed)

System: Host: bill-Macmini Kernel: 4.13.0-31-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Unity 7.4.5
Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: System: Apple product: Macmini6 1 v: 1.0
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-031AEE4D24BFF0B1 v: Macmini6 1
Bios: Apple v: MM61.88Z.0106.B03.1211161202 date: 11/16/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 2494/3100 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.4
Network: Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57766 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.2% used)
Info: Processes: 209 Uptime: 2:45 Memory: 1051.1/15948.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

It's working well so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(69.14 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times

Colonel Panic

#2712 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just performed a distro upgrade in Siduction (a "rolling release" distro based on Debian Testing) and, after a couple of initial hiccups involving Thunderbird, all is working well so far.

I've also installed the new beta of OpenSUSE 15 and it's also working well except that I can't play on-page videos in Firefox (though YouTube is fine).
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#2713 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest beta of Neptune, a KDE distro based on Debian Stretch.

The devs claim it isn't yet ready for primetime so not to expect too much. Most of the applications installed work fine in it but I have noticed a worrying tendency for the desktop to fail to refresh when dragging a window around it; you get a plethora of closely overlapping copies of the application window forming a trail in the window and eventually filling the desktop space so that you can't do anything else in it.

This doesn't seem to happen in Enlightenment though, which is installed by default, so I'm sticking with that. (Neptune uses Enlightenment 16, so themes for later versions won't install in it.)

Colonel Panic

#2714 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of Crunchbang Plus Plus (CBPP) and it's looking good to go although I'll probably change the background and conky display colours as the conky text on the top right doesn't show up very well.

IMO it's one of the best choices out there for an old computer except that it doesn't have a low-resource browser installed as standard. You can easily install one yourself though (I've installed Netsurf), and it does give you the choice between Chromium and Firefox if you're happy with a more demanding one.

I've also been trying the latest beta of Devuan 2, and it's OK except for the same video driver problem I noticed with Neptune 2 (screen refresh can be tardy) although not as severe; maybe it's my computer and I could do with a new video card?

belham2

Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation Edition

#2715 Post by belham2 »

Hi all,

Well I think it's been a decade or more since I used anything from the storm-troopers that are Microsoft. Last was Win XP Pro, SP 3. I didn't go with Vista, Windows 7, or 8. Finally, a few weeks ago, I decided to give Darth Vader & Windows 10 another try, and see what's up with the Death Star.

Hardware installed on: first, I tried Win 10 Enterprise Edition in Virtualbox inside Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS. It ran pretty good, so I decided to install the Windows 10 Enterprise Edition 90-day Free Trial to an 120GB SSD. Did this on an Core i3, 8GB laptop. All went smoothly---I can tell Microsoft has worked on their installer & installing process over the years. Much clearer, more concise, and got rid a lot of the stupid crap they used to ask users.

So, I've been using this Windows 10 Enterprise 90-day Free Trial Edition on & off now for the past 24 days, and here's my take so far:

1) Well, as much as I hate to say it, I cannot believe how fast "Startup" boot time is with Win10. I am surprised how it rivals and even beats a lot of my many different frugal-installed pups. Even once booted into the DE, response times for launching programs and apps is surprisingly quick. And never once I have yet seen the old-days BSOD. That's a big improvement right there, lol. :lol:

2) Desktop is clean, as is the home button & what it brings up. Graphics/GUIs for everything, which makes things easier to understand. Visual ease and cues are a necessity nowadays, especially with the young FB-TWTR-SNAP generation soon to be our masters.

3) The Windows Security Center has seen noticeable changes....it's actually easy and somewhat pleasant to use it now, though MSFT still can't get it through their head that a "Quick Security Scan", especially on pristine installs, should be "quick"----and not over 15 mins. Listen MSFT, only scan files that are new and/or have changed! How hard is that to understand??

4) The integration of Paint and picture manipulation functions into Win10 is/was an absolute joy. We in Linux have nothing over Windows in this regard anymore.

5) The Edge browser lives up to its billing. Despite me taxing it with ~15 open tabs, speed-wise it blows Chrome, Firefox, Palemoon, Vivaldi & all out of the water. The downside? And it is significant---you can't customize Edge to the degree we can other browsers, and I don't mean just topical stuff, but "under-the-hood" stuff---which in seriousness means no stopping HTML5 media autoplay, which we all know there is no better way to kill one's browsing experience. WAKE UP, REDMOND! Otherwise Edge will deservedly end up in the dustbin browsers of the past.

6) The most eye-opening thing was the Virtual Reality Portal & Viewer. There is little in the consumer-end-user-oriented DE Linux world (and I am a user of 3D and virtual-live world programs) that can compare to what Microsoft has done here. It's ease of use, seamlessness into the DE, & other things is just top-notch, imho. Fascinating to see where we are headed as a "silicon-bio-computing" sentient species, and this provides a glimpse. So, MSFT-gearheads, you deserve kudos here and take a momentary bow. And know that if you are able to tie in Cortana (which isn't bad by itself at the moment), but if you can tie Cortana into the Virtual Reality Portal & Viewer worlds, suddenly the whole game changes.

7) And, the last thing, which is huge in my opinion: Microsoft finally saw fit to include a Nightshifting blue Redshift-like program into Windows 10. First time ever for a Windows operating system. Nightshift is nice and easy to setup, even if it doesn't quite approach the ease of use of how we've integrated redshiftgui into our pups & ddogs. Still, it is very close, and a much needed & welcome addition.

Below are some pics, hope you enjoy. After 10+ years away, I am actually thinking of once again shuttling a Benjamin Franklin ($100) towards Seattle to have Windows rejoin my stable as an operating-system option. Well, at the least to be able to run things like Garmin Express, which cannot run anywhere in Linux (Wine or otherwise) to update my GPS and bicycle and fitness-other devices. Garmin, shame on you for continually ignoring the Linux world.
Attachments
Windows 10 Nightlight Redshift-like app.jpg
(60.74 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation pic 1.jpg
(56.59 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
Windows Enterprise Evaluation pic 2.jpg
(90.84 KiB) Downloaded 602 times
Windows 10 Defender Security Center pic 3.jpg
(68.5 KiB) Downloaded 621 times
Windows 10 Mixed Reality 3D Viewer pic 4.jpg
(64.94 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
Windows 10 Mixed Reality Portal pic 5.jpg
(116.28 KiB) Downloaded 639 times

fredx181

#2716 Post by fredx181 »

Awheeeeh....Image Maybe Belham is leaving us and choosing MS... ? Image

cthisbear

#2717 Post by cthisbear »

" Maybe Belham is leaving us and choosing MS... ? "

Till Windows starts to burgle him.

Chris.

musher0

#2718 Post by musher0 »

Hey!

There are alternatives to Garmin on Linux:
https://alternativeto.net/software/garm ... form=linux

For the rest of what belham2 says, what can I say? If the man wants to
become an M$ slave again, there is no law against it, unfortunately.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

belham2

#2719 Post by belham2 »

Lol, guys, how did you divine from what I wrote (verbatim):

"...Below are some pics, hope you enjoy. After 10+ years away, I am actually thinking of once again shuttling a Benjamin Franklin ($100) towards Seattle to have Windows rejoin my stable as an operating-system option..."

---so how did you divine from those words that I am leaving the pups & ddogs? Notice the word "option" in the above sentence. Option implies many choices currently already there. Also notice how I wrote about Garmin, and contrary to what anyone thinks and/or tries to quickly Google about, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the Linux world anywhere that will allow you to update your Garmin maps, software, fitness and other Garmin-specific data on your Garmin devices that interacts with the Garmin mothership. Garmin created a closed world non-open source platform, unfortunately, and then made it available for only Windows and Apple. Besides, reading data off any device is one thing (and mostly child's play), but updating the software that generates that data---especially maps---is a whole another matter. Take note.

So, Microsoft 10 is now in the stable, once again beside all my other ponies, from Puppies to DDogs to MX-Linux/Anti-X to Debian to Mint to Ubuntu and finally to the totally neurotic Fedora/Antergos/Manjaro triumvirate. This stable requires continual TLC care, lol, and devoted nurturing in the case of the pups & dogs.

fredx181

#2720 Post by fredx181 »

Hi belham, yeah, I see... "option", just wanted to say with my post something like "Hate to see you go !" :)
(as you're less active on the forum compared to some time ago)
Disappointing that some software has support only for Windows or Apple.
Btw, I must confess I also have Windows 10 on one of my laptops. :wink:
At that time for free :) (doesn't work anymore)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 291#868291

Fred