Segmentation fault in ld-2.11.1.so

Using applications, configuring, problems
tallboy

Segmentation fault in ld-2.11.1.so

#1 Post by tallboy »

I have a problem with viewining mp4 videos in Palemoon in my Lucid 5.2.8.7.
That is, the problem is not constant, and depends on the source. Sometimes I can view the videos in a normal fashion in one site, sometimes I get the message that a mp4 codecs must be installed. I have been tailing /var/log/messages during both success and failure, and I get this message:

Code: Select all

Jan 22 16:55:13 puppypc user.info kernel: plugin-containe[20004]: segfault at e5e5e7e9 ip b77461dd sp bf932670 error 5 in ld-2.11.1.so[b7733000+1b000]
In this case I could view the video, but the message swithces between error 5 and 7.
Can someone confirm that the segfault is the reason for my troubles with mp4, or is the segfault maybe caused by a faulty plugin?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

ld-2.11.1.so is the dynamic linker. That means something it is trying to dynamically link isn't working. If the dynamic linker itself was bad you would see failures with any other tasks that use it.

It sounds more likely that it's trying to dynamically link a bad lib or something . It might be worthwhile to doublecheck permissions on libs.
Last edited by jafadmin on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Maybe try the version by Walter Dnes? I think it was compiled in Lupu but not sure:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 674#980674

He posts some instructions on how to make mp4 work better in a few posts up as well.

s243a

#4 Post by s243a »

I think it could be related to the plugins using a differn't version of glibc than the browser. Before christmass I was doing some experimentation with palemoon in lucid revitalized. I noticed that while the glib c wrapper scipt was called when the browser loads the wraper script for the plugins wasn't being called when I opened up youtube. Instead youtube just crashed the browser.

I also notied that the updated glibc libraries had their own linker. A segmentation fault would make a lot of sense if two differn't linkers were being used.

All that said, you could try the other version of palemoon that was mentioned above.

tallboy

#5 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, guys, I'll look into a newer puppy as well.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.