R.I.P Net Neutrality

News, happenings
labbe5

R.I.P Net Neutrality

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://betanews.com/2018/01/19/net-neu ... ow-and-do/

On December 14, 2017 the United States Federal Communications voted to end Net Neutrality.

What to expect and what you can do.

US citizens are not well protected by their institutions. When money talks...

Smithy

#2 Post by Smithy »

Here's just one opinion on the end of net neutrality from the link you posted.

This is the great lie of the NN advocates:
" Expect bandwidth to become more expensive. Expect new alliances between major broadband players with media sites, social sites, ecommerce operations and software vendors. Expect what was once inexpensive and easy to become expensive and complex."

There is no reason to believe ANY one of these things will come to pass. Without NN in place, all of these things happened: bandwidth became cheaper. Bandwidth became faster. Data-caps increasingly increased (remember paying by the minute?) Things became easier and cheaper (remember modems and dial-up?).

The great fallacy of the NN advocates is based on the lie of thinking previous to the capricious reclassification of the Internet to a Title II Common Carrier, the internet worked only because we were lucky.

"Until now, businesses haven’t needed to carefully consider the bandwidth usage of specific applications or services."

This is 100% false on every level. Bandwidth has never been "free" Trust me, Google is paying substantially more for bandwidth than a site serving 100MB/month. The above is simply a falsehood and should never have gotten by fact-checkers. Oh wait. We don't fact check anything anymore.

It would be great if the media actually educated themselves on the technology and business of the internet so they could actually wrote objectively and not hogwash like what most of this article is. It is sad you actually are a CTO and believe anything you actually wrote.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

My apologies. I previously wrote something here intended for another thread.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rockedge

#4 Post by rockedge »

you sound like you will benefit from the changes. Some of us have been cyber strolling the Internet since it was ARPNET. Found the gaps then and will now. The God is profit so it is inevitable somebody will get screwed for the sake of the payoff. Thus, I have no problem continually seeking the path to a free Internet playing by whatever rule fits at the moment.

Smithy

#5 Post by Smithy »

Arpanet, had to look that up, all the way back in 1969.

Net Neutrality could be a prelude to artificial intelligence, which could be good and bad, but may lead to massive job losses I guess.

Don't know what you think of the Post Office networks of the world, they seemed to be a good mix of altruism and business over the years :)
Attachments
800px-Abudhabi30mar1964fdc.jpg
(113.35 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

In New Zealand it is illegal to run a network cable over the fence to a neighbour if one of the devices is connected to the local telephone or broadband network. Does that same restriction exist elsewhere?

Or is there hope that an internet alternative version of the internet (opennet?) might surface?

foxpup

#7 Post by foxpup »

greengeek wrote:In New Zealand it is illegal to run a network cable over the fence to a neighbour if one of the devices is connected to the local telephone or broadband network. Does that same restriction exist elsewhere?
You mean a tap or a drain? Same in Belgium. It was even stipulated how many televisions or computers in your house you may use on your connection. With the arrival of wireles, this has become less of an issue.

souleau

#8 Post by souleau »

No need for a line over the fence:

https://villagetelco.org/

Mesh networks are the future.

robert_m

#9 Post by robert_m »

souleau wrote:No need for a line over the fence:

https://villagetelco.org/

Mesh networks are the future.
What do you know about using Puppy Linux to implement a mesh network?
- Rob M.
Puppy in My Pocket

souleau

#10 Post by souleau »

robert_m wrote:What do you know about using Puppy Linux to implement a mesh network?
Very little I'm afraid. I suppose the place to start would be to compile and implement a version of the olsrd package for Puppy Liinux. This is the Link State Routing Protocol mostly used.

You can find more information about that here:

http://www.olsr.org/mediawiki/index.php/Olsrd2

There is a linux distribution which has been tailored for establishing and running mesh networks, called Project Byzantium.

http://project-byzantium.org/

It raised my interest when I stumbled across it on the website of Piratebox, with which you can create an offline wireless network using, for instance, a Raspberry Pi. But they still have to implement true mesh networking.

https://piratebox.cc/start

I suppose it would be a good entry point if you wanted to start learning about this kind of stuff though. If you happen to have a Raspberry Pi lying around.

8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

I dunno... supposedly NN weent into effect either last Thurs, or Fri. IMHO the real reason for this is the HUGE bandwidth/electrical consumption used for social sites AND CRYPTO-hashing as work (re: bitcoin mining). You might not believe the GIGA-bucks people getting involved in the latter. /MHO

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."