Firefox users: Patch these 30 horrid bugs now......

For discussions about security.
belham2

Firefox users: Patch these 30 horrid bugs now......

#1 Post by belham2 »

Security Article Reminder
It's 2018 and… wow, you're still using Firefox? All right then, patch these horrid bugs
By Shaun Nichols in San Francisco 24 Jan 2018 at 00:48

"Mozilla's Firefox has been patched to address more than 30 CVE-listed security vulnerabilities.

The open-source browser has been updated in both its regular (Firefox 58 ) and extended support (ESR 52.6) flavors. You should install these as soon as possible.

The Firefox 58 update includes fixes for critical memory corruption bugs (under the blanket CVE-2018-5089 and CVE-2018-5090 labels) that could be exploited by dodgy webpages to execute malicious code within the browser – in other words, hijack the application and potentially the whole computer.

Ten of the 32 CVE-listed bugs fixed in the update patch up use-after-free cockups, which can be exploited by bad websites to either crash the software or be used as a stepping stone to malicious code execution and malware installation.

Among the most serious of the patched flaws was CVE-2018-5091, a use-after-free bug present in the DTMF timers used for WebRTC connections. Next, the fixes for.
...."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/2 ... y_updates/

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Firefox users: Patch these 30 horrid bugs now......

#2 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Shaun Nichols wrote:It's 2018 and… wow, you're still using Firefox?
What is this supposed to mean? I'm actually using Palemoon right now Shaun Nichols. Too bad (or thankfully) IE/Edge is only on Windows. Chrome has always been a joke to me but SlimJet sort of makes it better. Well I guess this sums it up below...
Attachments
ad_revenue_clickbait.png
(9.68 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Well its clear that the Poster and many responses are sheeple that do not touch about:config. Thus the clickbait headline and whine that follows.

I've seen the difference between a configured FF45.9esr and FF27. Trying aliexpress for example with FF45.9esr is painful to watch with many redraws/reloads. FF27 just cuts through the red-tape.

Youtube on 45.9esr is near laughable with gui-box that JS stalled 2 or 3 times and of course its google related. The lag on creating the right hand column of related vids is snail-mailish, no, really. After the blue no-thanks button, FF27 gets-er-done.

This has been/is a night/day experience on an Atom n270. I can only imagine a newer CPU runs FF27 even faster.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

belham2

#4 Post by belham2 »

LOL, Sailor E and 8Geee,

...will you both please quit giving us Americans a "bad" name? We've got the Donald for that, no need to pile more on with showing obvious ignorance of magazines and language from different cultures. In case you both don't know anything about "theregister", it is highly regarded by nearly all of tech industry people here in Europe (you both do remember where that is, right?, Europe, that land mass on the other side of the Atlantic?). All employees at theregister are coders/programmers/etc that have a flair for calling a "pig" a "pig", and a "duck" a "duck". Try not to slam culture and something you don't understand just because it isn't reported like how you're used to in the U.S.. Also, did you know theregister are one of the backers of the Open Source Movement and/...drum roll, please...also the Mozilla foundation? The article was a self-deprecating look at not only us all but equally themselves....the kind of spot-on reporting, poking-fun-at-themselves like they always tongue-in-cheek do. And they have a fierce hate of all things Google (Chrome, OS, etc) but still, despite that, they give the Californication Surfers a fair hearing.

Sailor Enceladus

#5 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Hi belham2,

That actually sounds pretty good. I'll have to check out more articles from theregister then. :) Are there any other tech news sites you recommend? I've been reading Wired for a while and sometimes popsci and started to read TheVerge... they're ok, at least some of their articles, I guess. I need to expand into more places though I think, some scientific chronological order tech feed...

edit: eh looking through TheRegister's main page, the articles seem too political with bad headlines in general