PepperFlash .PETs

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#61 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, boys & girls.

For anyone who may have made use of these in the past, you've probably noticed there's been something of a hiatus in production. This is mainly my fault, I'm afraid; what with my own heart problems this year, Mum having a pacemaker fitted, and one family 'emergency' after another, I really haven't had the time to keep up with these. And Adobe going nuts a couple of months ago and updating every few days didn't help, either.....on top of which, very few people have been downloading these in recent months anyway, so.....

I'm attempting to come up with a way to automatically download and install Pepper according to where the browser expects to find it. The problem is that, unlike the Mozilla-based browsers, which always look in the same place, every Chromium-based browser expects to find them in a different location. Which is why I've had to make so many different versions.

I intend to make use of our Russian colleague SFS's PepperFlash auto-update script, which he posted here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 515#936515

It's based on Geoffrey's FlashPlayer Auto-updater.....and, indeed, makes use of some of the same code that Geoff developed. I think I know how I'm going to do this; I'll produce a one-off series of .pets for each of the Chromium 'clones' (Chrome, SlimJet, Iron, etc); I just need to find the time to work out the details of the mechanism. Once installed, the 'update mechanism' should be self-maintaining.

(For some reason, the URL for Pepper doesn't seem to keep changing in the same way that FlashPlayer's does...)

I'll publish them here when I get the chance. Watch this space.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I don't like Flash, in its varying formats, any more than anybody else does. But despite HTML5 steadily gaining traction, I'm afraid Flash will still be hanging around like a bad smell for quite a while yet.....so I feel it's worthwhile to make the process as painless as possible for the remainder of its projected lifespan.)

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

A link to the PepperFlash Auto-updaters can be found here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 126#976126

Mike. :wink: :)

WiZard

pepperFlash & Firefox

#63 Post by WiZard »

Hello Mike Walsh,

And thank you for all you do to help other Puppy users like myself. Since the meltdown/spectre CPU security flaws were found I'm working on using one of the patched web browsers. Both Firefox (57.0.04 & 52.6.0 ESR) & Chrome (64.0.3282) have released versions.

Slacko 6.3.0 is the newest version of Puppy that I use and I know that FF57 and Chrome64 will not run. However, FF52 does run nicely. My only problem is that my banking site has a Flash element that Flash 11.2 cannot resolve.

The problem: get FF52 to use pepper flash

Here's what I've tried:
installed FF 52.6.0 ESR (just unpacked it into a directory in /home, tried it with Flash 11.2 & it's OK)
installed PeeBee's chromium_52.0.2743.116+pepper_22.0.0.209_lx.sfs
removed Flash 11.2
installed freshplayerplugin-0.2.3.pet

FF did not find pepper flash.

I'm hoping that you or someone else on the forums has some experience with getting this to work.

Thanks again

Gary

Mike Walsh

#64 Post by Mike Walsh »

@WiZard:-

Have you actually tried using the newest, current version of Adobe Flash.....which is now in line with Chrome's PepperFlash? Were you aware that it's now being updated again, in line with all the other versions? I'm in FF52esr at the moment, in Slacko 560; 28.0.0.137 is working fine here.

Just go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ while you're in FF52 (you'll get the right version that way), and download the tarball. Extract it, and move libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Restart FF, and it should pick up the new version.

Sorted. No need to mess about with the PepperFlash 'fresh-player-plugin' thingy; I've never been able to get it to work myself, so you're in good company... Part of the trouble with the 'fresh-player-plugin' is that you need to know exactly where it's looking to find PepperFlash. Adobe Flash always lives in one, fixed location; Pepper, on the other hand, is in a different location for every one of the Chromium-based browsers.
There is no such thing as a standard location in Linux for PepperFlash, I'm afraid.....with the possible exception of Chrome's version, which used to always be at 'opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash'. Nowadays.....auugh, don't go there. It updates itself in the current version, but it's hidden away in a weird location inside the default profile. It's a nightmare, mate.

You don't actually need Chrome or Chromium for this to work, in theory. Just create /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash, and stick the current Pepper in there. If you try 'fresh-player-plugin', it ought to find it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can always use this page to check whether your installed Flash is up to date. There's a link to the downloads page part way down. Flash and Pepper both use this page; Adobe's website detects which version you're using, and offers the correct version & architecture accordingly.

Mike. :wink:

WiZard

Pepper Flash not needed

#65 Post by WiZard »

Hi Mike,

Whoa, that was so easy I almost fell out of my chair. I had no idea Linux was getting equal treatment on Flash again. I'd been wrestling with pepper for several days. Thanks for the solution.

Gary