How to install pulseaudio-11.0.tar.gz or tar.xz in GP Live

#1 Post by kuman11 »

which is based on Debian?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What is GP Live?

What specific Puppy version?
Frugal or full install?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

He's talking about the 'Parted Magic' LiveCD, bigpup. We had this out with him once before, a few weeks ago..... :roll:

Seems to be under the impression you can run it like a regular operating system... (*shrug*)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 396#978396

(*shakes head in amazement...*)

------------------------------

@kuman11:-

In all fairness to yourself and everybody else, you would do better to set up your USB stick so that you have a Puppy booting from the first partition, with gParted Live set up on the second partition, and called by Puppy's Grub4DOS bootloader, installed from within sda1's Pup...

You cannot have gParted as the primary OS, calling (or chain-loading) everything else. You're going about things backwards; Puppy is the OS, gParted Live is essentially a giant utility, which has been set up to boot using a minimal Linux install to get it up-and-running.

We can't help unless you at least take some notice of what we're suggesting (and trust me, there's some extremely experienced boys & girls on this forum). You ask for advice.....then proceed to completely ignore it!!

And anyway; why would you want a sound system utilty installed into a disk partitioning utility? Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.....

Mike. :?

kuman11

#4 Post by kuman11 »

'why would you want a sound system utilty installed into a disk partitioning utility? Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense..... '

Mike, the problem is, I don't have any other OS running, other than GP Live, since last Sept so I'd been trying to get info on how to install Puppy through GP Live. Since the majority of suggestions offer it'd be almost impossible, I'm trying to find some small solutions in using GP Live. I can only use a browser to surf the net so I need to find some improvements within that limitation.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm-hm. 'Kay-y-y.....

If I get this correctly, you don't have an available optical drive; no? So whatever you do, needs to be done via a USB drive.

You say you do have a browser; yes? Will it download a Puppy ISO?

--------------------------------------

Dependent on answers to the above two questions, as I see it, you have 3 options:-

Download the Puppy ISO of your choice. Then.....

1 ) You download & use UNetbootin, and create a 'Puppy on a stick' that way. (Install locally - from your ISO image you've downloaded, not from the 'downloads' list).

2 ) You try Etcher (by resin.io), which is an AppImage. These are like self-contained, standalone 'Portable Apps' for Linux, and will run under any Linux OS. If Parted Magic is powered by Debian, you should have no problem with this. Or:-

3 ) You try the 'quick & dirty' method.....and install your bootloader manually. If this 'GPartedLive' is Debian-based, I'm betting it's GRUB2 (a horrible, complicated abortion of a thing, whose single biggest problem is that it just doesn't see the SFS packages that comprise Puppy!). If needs be, we can advise on the clauses required to be added to GRUB2 in order to boot Puppy; I believe there's several examples floating around the Forum in various locations.

(In fact, if you do it this last way, you can install Grub4DOS locally (to the USB drive), then just boot through BIOS. Or if you have the luxury of a 'one-time boot menu', use that instead.)

That's the best I can think of, that actually stand an ice-cube's chance in hell of working on your somewhat odd setup...

Mike. :wink:

kuman11

#6 Post by kuman11 »

Mike,

it seems Etcher would work best for me. How can I unzip & run it?
I have a few a few ISO's d/lowded, X-Slacko 4.3 is one of them.

Thanks

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

You don't unzip AppImages. You simply click on them to run as they are. The app will take a little while to start, as it's 'unpacking' itself into /tmp, from where it runs.

Make sure you set the mode to executable, as they don't come like this by default. I can't guarantee this will work for you; it runs in some of my Pups, but not in others.....it seems a bit 'choosy' as to it's working environment.

UNetbootin, on the other hand, I can guarantee will work, anywhere.

--------------------------------

EDIT:- My mistake, it comes as a .zip file. In that case, go into the directory where you've downloaded it, open a terminal in that directory, then run

Code: Select all

unzip etcher-1.3.1-linux-i386.zip
.....which should unpack it for you. Then follow the above instructions.

(If you want to set exec permissions for the AppImage, again, in the same directory, open a terminal, and run this:-

Code: Select all

chmod 755 etcher-1.3.1-i386.AppImage
.....which will set the 'mode' as executable. Which should work; or, you may need to set the full 'path' for the file.)

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

If you have no way of making a Live Puppy USB install.
https://www.osdisc.com/products/puppy

Sorry flash for having to post this!
I am not trying to post an add for this service.
Only trying to help this person.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

kuman11

#9 Post by kuman11 »

I unzipped it, made it exec then upon clicking it didn't show any signs it's running in /tmp ...

Thanks

kuman11

#10 Post by kuman11 »

With unetbootin got this:

user@debian:~$ chmod +657 ./unetbootin-linux-657.bin
user@debian:~$ sudo ./unetbootin-linux-657.bin
sudo ./unetbootin-linux-657.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Last edited by kuman11 on Fri 09 Feb 2018, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.

kuman11

#11 Post by kuman11 »

without the + sign got this:

bash: ./unetbootin-linux-657.bin: Permission denied

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

D/l and install this:-

http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 2_i386.deb

That will install the libpng12 libraries. It's a .deb package, from the 'Wheezy' stable branch.

kuman11

#13 Post by kuman11 »

Mike,

when unetbootin appeared I also got this
'7z not found. This is required for either install mode.
Install the "p7zip-full" package or your distribution's equivalent.'

what's the best link for me?

meanwhile I had only this iso handy 'slacko64-6.3.2-uefi.iso' so I proceeded to install it. Got to completed, though I didn't restart the ACER. 1st, I have an old 2008 BIOS.
2nd GParted Live is altogether in RAM so I risk losing e/t done so far upon booting.
I put all this on the sda2 partition which I kept for Puppy.

When I browsed GP Live, it has grub 1 & 2 with all the .deb versions on it, to let u know.

kuman11

#14 Post by kuman11 »

Mike,

I installed p7zip-full. There's any way to backup the current configuration so it's not lost upon rebooting?

Thanks

kuman11

can u flag the 2 partitions on the same usb stick as boot

#15 Post by kuman11 »

Mike, can u flag the 2 partitions on the same usb stick as boot?

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, kuman.

I wouldn't do that; it's not necessary.

You only need one boot-loader on any given stick/drive/whatever. Invariably, this is always the first partition (actually, immediately in front of it - that's where the Master Boot Record lies).....and it's this partition, with the boot-loader, that needs to have its boot 'flag' set.

For any other partitions, on the same, physical device, there's no need.....unless you plan on 'chain-loading' a second or third boot-loader from the first. Multiple boot-loaders simply make things very confusing, for everyone/thing concerned (especially your hardware).

Why would you want a boot-loader for each partition?

Mike. :?

kuman11

#17 Post by kuman11 »

Mike,

got u. I managed to install a Puppy.

TY

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

kuman11 wrote:Mike,

TY
Ah-hah! Well done, mate. Nice one.

Sorry I've not been much help, recently; been rather busy, I'm afraid.

How did you do it (just out of curiosity, like)? Care to share?

kuman11

Mike

#19 Post by kuman11 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
kuman11 wrote:Mike,

TY
Ah-hah! Well done, mate. Nice one.

Sorry I've not been much help, recently; been rather busy, I'm afraid.

How did you do it (just out of curiosity, like)? Care to share?

Mike, I installed it on another usb stick with Unetbootin as u suggested. It's X-Slacko Slim 4.4r9. It's light.
When I installed it on the 2nd partion of the GPL usb it'd put the 'boot' flag on it so I hesitated to reboot it.
I'll try it some of this days. Now I have one running fine so far.
U offered me the best advice regarding GP Live.

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

I thought UNetbootin ought to work. If you use it in Puppy itself, you often need to tweak it on the command-line to find your USB.....but I didn't think you'd have that problem.

Anyways, you've done it. And once you have one Puppy up-and-running, it's a piece of cake to get a second one running, if you so wish. (Or a third.....or a fourth.....)

They're quite addictive, y'know...!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: