Ratpoison Window Manager

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Colonel Panic

#21 Post by Colonel Panic »

musher0 wrote:What can I say?

Make yourself a cheat sheet for wmii. Learn it by heart, and then you will NOT have to load it in wmii. ;)

Joke aside, I do not know wmii. Is it possible in wmii to have an icon on the
desktop to access its cheat sheet ? Or maybe a menu entry at the top or bottom
of its menu? (Somewhere you can't miss!)

In any case, IMO, this is a convenience that all developers of window managers
should provide to their users. A new user should NOT have to write a cheat sheet
for the WM and find an easy way to display it. The logic of this should be obvious
to all devs: a NEW user does not know how to use the WM yet.

IHTH.
"Make yourself a cheat sheet for wmii. Learn it by heart, and then you will NOT have
to load it in wmii. ;) "

Sure, but if I've switched to wmii from, say, blackbox after loading a browser such as Firefox then the browser is loaded anyway (since changing the window manager doesn't close the application) so even when I'm in wmii for the first time it's easy to go to to the wmii home page and look up the key bindings.

When you have blackbox installed on your computer and then install a new window manager, the new one normally shows up on blackbox's menu; if it doesn't, the menu can easily be edited.

We may have to agree to differ here, but I still maintain my method's better when you're trying a window manager for the first time. Having a cheat sheet seems to me something you would do if you've found a window manager you like and intend to stick with.

I agree with the rest of your post. Developers should do what you say, but they rarely do; herbstluftwm seems to be the exception, at least if you use it from AntiX.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.