RASPBERRY PI NOT AFFECTED BY SPECTRE OR MELTDOWN BUGS

For discussions about security.
slavvo67

RASPBERRY PI NOT AFFECTED BY SPECTRE OR MELTDOWN BUGS

#1 Post by slavvo67 »

According to an article at RaspberryPi.org, no versions of the Pi are affected by Spectre or Meltdown. Does that make the Pi the safest machine in my house? They seem to think so. Personally, something just doesn't feel right about doing personal banking through a Pi. Just a personal thought. Anyway, for those interested, the link is below.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... -meltdown/

slavvo67

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

I distinctly remember in my readings that the ARM Cortex-7 is not vunerable, but there are versions using Big/Little as in the 52 and 57 versions that partially are (IIRC Spectre). I will have a look at the ARM security page(s) again... right now running SSL Server test on Raspberrypi.org. My browser says too low a security setting, and won't open.

EDIT #1... ARM

A comparison of cores provided indicates that when alone the A5, A7 and A8 cortex models do not have Out of Order Execution (OOOE). All others above A8 (notably A9, A12, and A15) allow OOOE.
Therefore, Big/Little setups (A7 + A12 or A15) are indeed partially vunerable due to OOOE in Big.

Edit #2 raspberrypi.org

is using dhe rather than ecdhe. This is weak, and slow. Both iPv4 servers will handshake SSL2 but not support SSL2/3. TLS 1.0/1.1/1.2 allowed. Furthermore, google will pull support and declare unsafe as of Mar. 2018. MHO They better get it together security-wise./MHO

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

8Geee:

Here's further explanation if you're interested:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/why-ra ... -meltdown/