Think about the privacy & security ramifications of BBFC

For discussions about security.
belham2

Think about the privacy & security ramifications of BBFC

#1 Post by belham2 »

What are they thinking in the U.K.??

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/0 ... _concerns/

Doesn't the U.K. already have Orwellian-like "National ID" cards? To think where (the above article) this sort of logic/reasoning could lead is a touch uncomfortable.

I guess Ray Kurzweil's original thought ~40 years about the possible birth of a worldwide communication/data Net and that it would forever begin & end with the shagging, sex-craving savages that we humans are...was more than spot on.

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

No we do NOT have ID cards.
The classifications they are talking about are the same as those for films at the cinema and are only indications of what the content is likely to be.
The only time those classifications are really taken any notice of is on free to air TV where any film that is x rated has to be shown after 9PM.
Cinemas tend to be more lenient, though I doubt that any sensible one would allow unaccompanied kids into an X rated film since they could theoretically be prosecuted.

I think it is a brilliant idea as it gives a visual indication on the "package" of what the content is likely to be and gives parents the opportunity to do their own censorship - not that they are likely to nowadays.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rockedge

#3 Post by rockedge »

@Burn_IT

I like the way you said that. Does make sense looking at it like that.

belham2

#4 Post by belham2 »

Burn_IT wrote:No we do NOT have ID cards.
Ah, good, for some reason I thought the U.K. had went to those chipped (like a credit card) "National ID Identity Citizen Card" systems. So, that changes everything, now I don't feel what the article (in the 1st msg) is writing about is bad.

I guess it's a race on among the world's superpowers now who's going to be the first to actually go the complete chipped National ID Identity Citizen route. I know some smaller countries are/have done it, but I think more thought (read: way more encryption, and also mandating the use of blockchain for any transaction & info exchange those cards need/allow) should be considered.

Anyone on here (murga) have/own a chipped "National ID Identity Citizen" card, that you're required to have at all times, plus use for sensitive data exchanges and dealings with the gov't?

As examples of smaller countries, I know the Belgians have this:

"The card is first issued at age 12, compulsory by 15. Since the beginning of 2005 the eID (electronic IDentity card) has been issued to Belgian citizens who apply for a new identity card. Apart from being a form of identification, the card also is used for authentication purposes. Future usages include using the eID as a library card, keycard for restricted areas or chatrooms and the digital signing of documents. They have to be carried at all times."

Luxembourg has them:

"First issued at age 15 and only issued to Luxembourg citizens, who are required by law to carry it at all times."

Spain, given the wild things going on there currently, has this:

"Compulsory for anyone 14 and older and must be carried at all times. Minors younger than 14 can obtain a DNI, for example, to travel to other European countries. It is routinely used for identification and is often necessary to conduct public and private business. Many companies and government offices photocopy a bearer's DNI. Beginning in 2006, the DNI was replaced by the DNI electrónico (electronic DNI).[32]"

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

In the UK, most cards issued by government departments, eg. passport,driving license have photographs, but only payment cards are chipped. Company security cards have both.
Personally I think it would be a superb idea if everyone was chipped at birth with an RFID tag. Then there would be no need for all other forms of ID and less chance of forgery. We already have a unique National Insurance number and that can be used in written cases.

souleau

#6 Post by souleau »

There was a government initiative under Cameron to force ISP's in the UK to place a filter that would block any subscriber by default from viewing adult content, and this filter could only be removed if said subscriber would express an explicit desire for it to be removed to the ISP.

Has that idea been implemented yet?

Because that did raise some privacy issues.

Burn_IT

#7 Post by Burn_IT »

I believe it was, but I don't know whether the idea was dropped since there was a huge fuss and it was not controlled very well and easily bypassed.
Not all ISPs implemented it.

Fossil

#8 Post by Fossil »

In the UK, most cards issued by government departments, eg. passport,driving license have photographs, but only payment cards are chipped. Company security cards have both.
Not forgetting us BOF's (boring old farts! :oops: ) who have reached that 'certain age' and now qualify for a free bus pass! :roll:

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

belham2 wrote:...I thought the U.K. had went to those chipped (like a credit card) "National ID Identity Citizen Card"...
I have a "CITIZENCARD", got in 2006, because my wife and self were told this was essential if travelling by aeroplane internally within the UK.
Not sure if it has a "chip"..
It has a photo [verified as a true likeness by my dentist], and a metalic rectangle with "CITIZENCARD" on it.
It has my "card number", "name", "date of birth", "signature", Date of issue, and it says "National proof of age".
See www.citizencard.net.

I have always found it to be of no practical use, since it has never been accepted by anyone as proof of identity. :(

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

Yes bus passes have photos.
It always amazed me that my ID card from Rolls Royce that had full chip ID, a Photograph and Signature, was not acceptable as a valid ID, but my old green paper drivers licence with only an OLD signature was acceptable.