Kodi in quickpet dosen't work

Booting, installing, newbie
soniabu

Kodi in quickpet dosen't work

#1 Post by soniabu »

Hello everyone, I would like to install Kodi 17.6 on my puppyxenial64 7.5, but when I try to download it (two days I try) with quickpet to each URL I try to connect the answer is always that there is "failed to change directory" or "the file is already fully retrived. Nothing to do".
Would you have any suggestions or is it better to wait for URLs to be restored to quickpet?
thx Sonia

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Have you done the Xenialpup updates?
Quickpet>Info>xenialpup updates

I just tried it and it downloaded the kodi sfs from the ibiblio.org repository OK.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

"the file is already fully retrived. Nothing to do".
Sure it did not install?
Is kodi listed in the menu>Multimedia>
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

soniabu

#4 Post by soniabu »

bigpup wrote:Have you done the Xenialpup updates?
Quickpet>Info>xenialpup updates

I just tried it and it downloaded the kodi sfs from the ibiblio.org repository OK.
sure I first run xenial update and then try to install it. I'm afraid I've made some trouble; but I do not understand where. Maybe I'll have to re-install on the USB again. What a pity.

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi soniabu,

Before you 'start from scratch', especially as you've been told Kodi was already retrieved, let's find out what's going on. Open Menu>Filesystem>pfind file finder. Select "All files" and let xenialpup64 search for anything named kodi.

I'm not on xenialpup64 right now. But my recollection is that kodi is packaged as an SFS. If you did a Frugal Install, after downloading it to where ever you would have to right-click it and from the popup menu select SFS-Load. If the SFS is not already at /mnt/home --the drive/partition on which your Xenialpup64's required files were placed-- you'll be asked if you want to move it there. Say "Yes".

If you did a Full install, it still is possible to use Kodi. But I would suggest that you do 'start from scratch' and do a Frugal Install. Puppies are designed to run as Frugal Installs. The ability to run them as Full Installs was developed years ago to provide some slight advantage on computers having only 256 Mbs of RAM, or less. Your computer has to have more RAM than that or you could run Xenialpup64. Many of Puppies advantages are lost in a Full Install, among them the ability to use SFSes as they are designed. An SFS is something like a Window's portable application. You load and unload it.

mikesLr

soniabu

#6 Post by soniabu »

mikeslr wrote:Hi soniabu,

Before you 'start from scratch', especially as you've been told Kodi was already retrieved, let's find out what's going on. Open Menu>Filesystem>pfind file finder. Select "All files" and let xenialpup64 search for anything named kodi.

I'm not on xenialpup64 right now. But my recollection is that kodi is packaged as an SFS. If you did a Frugal Install, after downloading it to where ever you would have to right-click it and from the popup menu select SFS-Load. If the SFS is not already at /mnt/home --the drive/partition on which your Xenialpup64's required files were placed-- you'll be asked if you want to move it there. Say "Yes".

If you did a Full install, it still is possible to use Kodi. But I would suggest that you do 'start from scratch' and do a Frugal Install. Puppies are designed to run as Frugal Installs. The ability to run them as Full Installs was developed years ago to provide some slight advantage on computers having only 256 Mbs of RAM, or less. Your computer has to have more RAM than that or you could run Xenialpup64. Many of Puppies advantages are lost in a Full Install, among them the ability to use SFSes as they are designed. An SFS is something like a Window's portable application. You load and unload it.
mikesLr
saw the suggestions and executed to the letter.
I found it in
initrd / mnt / dev_save / kodi-17.6-x86_64.sfs
with a click I installed it and found in the Multimedia section.
Many thanks for helping me, explained and shown the way. Plus I also learned.
Now I try to launch it and if it works I will fill it with addons.
thanks to both, sonia