(SOLVED) Slacko64 6.9.9.9 ./configure: No such file ...

discuss compiling applications for Puppy
Gordie

(SOLVED) Slacko64 6.9.9.9 ./configure: No such file ...

#1 Post by Gordie »

Slacko64 6.9.9.9
Frugal install to hdd

I am trying to get familiar with compiling my own software in Puppy Linux. For years I have been doing this with Slackware and so am not entirely inept. I have the devx sfs loaded. The sfs manager got it and loaded it.
Here is what I get:
./configure --prefix=/usr No such file or directory

./configure: No such file or directory

./configure --help No such file or directory

Seems something is missing but what?
Last edited by Gordie on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
--
Cheers
Gordie
Slackware64-Current, Thinkpad W510, Intel i7, 8G/500G, Lilo / Legacy.
Fatdog64 + 6 Puppies on USB flash drives.
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.

mikeslr

64-bit kernel 4.14.15 with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Gordie,

While having my first cup of coffee, I was scanning for "Today" in the right-most column to see what's new so chanced upon your post and opened it because 'Meltdown and Spectre' being in the news --the 'fix' requiring that kernels be patched-- I've became curious about what compiling is about and what puppy fans are doing about them. I opened your post within a few minutes of reading this one by accident-- it was on the top of the page which opened*: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 122#981122 Note the second line, emphasis added; 64-bit kernel 4.14.15 with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y.

I had already thought "that's curious". Why would anyone do that?

Wondered are they related? And being something new, is this an approach by Slackware in response to 'Meltdown & Spectre'.

Of course, as this is an area in which I'm deep in the weeds, feel free to ignore this post.

mikesLr

* I said this was while having my first cup of coffee. The process 'scroll to post you're looking for' hadn't as yet reflexively kicked in. :oops:

Gordie

Re: 64-bit kernel 4.14.15 with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y

#3 Post by Gordie »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Gordie,

While having my first cup of coffee ,..it was on the top of the page which opened*: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 122#981122 Note the second line, emphasis added; 64-bit kernel 4.14.15 with CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y ...
Wondered are they related? And being something new, is this an approach by Slackware in response to 'Meltdown & Spectre'
mikesLr
:
Great try. Thanks but that relates to Slackware Current development branch and Slacko64 6.9.9.9 is related to Slackware 14.2 stable release.

Really is a great rry though and for that I thank you
--
Cheers
Gordie
Windows 10 / Slackware64-Current, HP desktop, Intel Core2 Duo, 4G/500G/250G, Lilo / Legacy.

Keef

#4 Post by Keef »

What are you trying to compile? Is there actually a configure script in the current directory. I have sometimes assumed there is one without checking first.

matchpoint

#5 Post by matchpoint »

Hi Gordie,

Along with Keefs`post, clicking the ` (or back quote) key in any directory opens a terminal in that directory.

Gordie

#6 Post by Gordie »

Keef wrote:What are you trying to compile? Is there actually a configure script in the current directory. I have sometimes assumed there is one without checking first.
Midnight commander.
BINGO. You hit the nail on the head. Tried in Slackware just now to see and same result because is only configure.ac there. Now I only need something else to compile for practice
--
Cheers
Gordie

Gordie

#7 Post by Gordie »

I was able to compile, test run and make packages for a couple of programs.
Seems that years of using SlackBuilds has made me rusty and my 65 year old brain is like swiss cheese. The biggest problem I had when I posted this thread is that I was dog tired and the hour was later than late. I really should not do anything when I am tired.

When I saw what was wrong I was embarrassed to say the least
--
Cheers
Gordie