Canon Printer Drivers - Updated 2016

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
rcrsn51

#221 Post by rcrsn51 »

The .deb driver file is in a subfolder of the directory cnijfilter2-5.20-1-deb.

If you ran candi-pet-maker back in August, you would have a ready-to-go installer PET to use here in Xenial.
5. Copy it to a safe location for the next time you need to install the printer.
----------------

SoftSupp

#222 Post by SoftSupp »

The .deb driver file is in a subfolder of the directory cnijfilter2-5.20-1-deb.
Aha... :oops: Sorry :oops:
Couldn't see the wood for the trees
If you ran candi-pet-maker back in August, you would have a ready-to-go installer PET to use here in Xenial.
Not sure if I did use candi-pet-maker, or the manual method, but I'm going to try again later

Thanks for your prompt support and patience

Pete...

SoftSupp

#223 Post by SoftSupp »

After the embarrassing disaster of not pointing candi to the .deb file in /packages, :roll: I've managed to create the .pet file and install it correctly. However...

No matter what I did, cups would not see the printer - but did give me a lovely error -:

"Directory "/usr/lib/cups/filter" has insecure permissions (040777/uid=0/gid=0)"

A bit of googling later, resulted in a working printer !! :D

I achived this by :-

* changing the permissions

Code: Select all

chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/*
* Turning off the firewall
* Restarting cups
* Removing all printers
* Restarting cups
* Adding a new printer in cups

Only then did cups show the printer

Hope this helps others

Pete...

rcrsn51

#224 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's good news.

But I checked Xenial and the permissions are correct out-of-the-box (755).

I don't know how they would have accidentally been changed to 4777.

roadkill13

Where is the Candi tool?

#225 Post by roadkill13 »

I found it necessary to reinstall Xenialpup 7.5 64 bit on my aging desktop today. I downloaded the printer drivers for my Canon TS-3122 pixma printer from Cannons website as I had done for the previous installation. Unfortunately I did not save a copy of the Candi tool. I need it to get a working install on my Canon printer.

I did extract the debian package from the compressed file system and install it. CUPs does find the printer and offer up the correct printer driver during the setup process however the print jobs fail with message for error "filter failure".

That candi tool would be real handy to have right now.

Found it! It resides on archive.org in a collection of a forum posted *.pet packages. :D

Printer works fine now.
Attachments
candi-1.4.pet
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

perdido

Re: Where is the Candi tool?

#226 Post by perdido »

roadkill13 wrote:I found it necessary to reinstall Xenialpup 7.5 64 bit on my aging desktop today. I downloaded the printer drivers for my Canon TS-3122 pixma printer from Cannons website as I had done for the previous installation. Unfortunately I did not save a copy of the Candi tool. I need it to get a working install on my Canon printer.

I did extract the debian package from the compressed file system and install it. CUPs does find the printer and offer up the correct printer driver during the setup process however the print jobs fail with message for error "filter failure".

That candi tool would be real handy to have right now.

Found it! It resides on archive.org in a collection of a forum posted *.pet packages. :D

Printer works fine now.
The following link is the original post in this thread (that was deleted by OP)
https://web.archive.org/web/20150905062 ... hp?t=80051
Posted as a reference for the people that still have a need for that information.