seamonkey email errors when "Mail" directory is symlinked

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mercedes350se

seamonkey email errors when "Mail" directory is symlinked

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

I have upgraded to seamonkey 2.26.1. As is my usual practice I moved the Mail directory to /mnt/home/Mail and "link absolute" it to the original location.

However when I try to do something with an email I get a message of the kind "The Sent folder is full delete ... "

The messages vary depending on what i am attempting to do.

If I delete the symlink and move the Mail directory back to its original location everything works as expected.

What to do?
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 01:18, edited 2 times in total.

matchpoint

#2 Post by matchpoint »

Hi Mercedes350se,

Why link absolute? Are you sure there's enough space on the device?

Since I need to configure my desktop mail later today, I'll share a little trick with you.

Mercedes350se

#3 Post by Mercedes350se »

Sorry everyone. i should have stated that it is a frugal install hence the need to take Mail out of the savefile.

davids45

Mail directory location - SM-2.46

#4 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mercedes350se,

Is your 'new' Seamonkey-2.26.1 (a bit old) or did you mean to type 2.46.1 (almost current)?

I use seamonkey (2.46) for all Pups, Full & Frugal.

In root/.mozilla/seamonkey, the one profile (ending .default) is shared by all Pups/Seamonkeys as a symlink to the profile on my mounted-at-boot data partition (sda5).

I have my Mail location set in the "Mail and newsgroups account settings" to a directory on my data partition (see screenshot).

Not a symlink as such, but can you just enter your Mail directory location directly in this dialog box to keep your Mail directory outside your Frugal Pup's save-file, and avoid the possible problem with using your symlink?

I don't know how you're using a symlink for this, by the way :oops: .

Good luck.

David S.
Attachments
SM246-MailDirectory.jpg
dialog box to set Mail folder location
(79.04 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

Mercedes350se

#5 Post by Mercedes350se »

davids45, Thank you for an illuminating post.

I am an "old-stick-in-the-mud" not a power user person so my 3.01 with kernel from 4.1.2 does most things I need to do so 2.26.1 was not a typo.

All these years I have been using Puppy and never once thought to change the default Mail directory!

How do I set it up? I just want the Mail directory in /mnt/home.

EDIT: I moved the profile directory to /mnt/home and symlinked it back to the original location.

There must be an issue with seamonkey 2.26.1 because it still throws up the error messages. I have never had this problem with earlier versions.

davids45

Try another Seamonkey?

#6 Post by davids45 »

G'day fellow mired-twig,

I wonder if your Seamonkey download was not quite right hence the unexpected error with Mail?

Try a slightly newer Seamonkey :shock: or revert to the old working one :) ?

Did you have a reason to update Seamonkey - mostly I update anything on computer with more trepidation than optimism.

I don't know if you've tried the Repair tool in Seamonkey which fixes apparently-missing mail folders, but it may be worth a try if you haven't already. It's in the Folder Properties of the Edit menu when you're viewing your Mail window (screenshot).

How I Did/Do It.
Long ago now, I set up my Mail on my data partition (sda5) by copying the Mail folder from my then main Seamonkey to a new 'Mail' directory on sda5, then setting this in Seamonkey as the location for my 'Local folders' mail (see earlier post).

I then created my own seamonkey222.default profile to use with every Pup, so whichever Pup I happened to boot up, I would still see my one and only Mail folder.

So, also long ago, I copied my .default seamonkey profile in /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/ of my then-main Pup to another directory on sda5, and renamed it to seamonkey222.default from the gobbledy-gook.default you get with the first run. I then deleted the original and replaced it with a link from the sda5 profile.

This shared-to-all-Pups profile means my browser settings as well as Mail are the same for every Pup on my computer whenever I open Seamonkey, .... after I have set the profile in /root/.mozilla/seamonkey/ as a symlink to my seamonkey profile on sda5. I delete the gobbledgook.default folder and edit profile.ini to use my seamonkey.default (link).

I'm not quite sure how you've done yours as a one-Pup user.

David S.
Attachments
SM-repair-Mail.jpg
(47.87 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
seamonkey-in-mozilla-directory.jpg
(19.99 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
edit-profile-ini-text.jpg
(64.55 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

Mercedes350se

#7 Post by Mercedes350se »

Thank you. Another very informative post.

2.26.1 appears to be the latest that will work on this install. As an experiment I went back to 2.22 something - I had the savefile - and as you will probably guess it too does not now work using the symlink method outlined in my OP.

The machine has crashed a couple of times - a combination of overclocking the CPU and very high ambient temps - now running stock speed until the weather cools down!

I did an e2fsck on the partition but apart from a couple of "superblocks in the future" nothing.

The reason for updating was that I was getting an error on some sites that research of the 'net could not resolve and other sites that simply would not render correctly.

I will try your method later. Women's curling on TV soon so must get prepared.

EDIT: Almost a day later. In my 4.3.1 frugal install I simply changed both Local Directory to point to my /mnt/home/Mail/xxx and it worked a treat. No Mail directory in the gobblegook.default directory.

Conclusion: There is an issue with my 3.01 frugal install ...