Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Aug 2018, 02:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
AppFinder
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb 2018, 20:50    Post subject:  AppFinder  

Hi All,

This came as somewhat of a surprise. It is xfce-appfinder. I suspected that it wasn't necessary to install the xfce window manager or even just xfce-panel. But I had thought some window manager more xdg-compliant than jwm was necessary. What surprised me is that it ran well under a bare jwm without any embellishments and could be added to the Taskbar, and provides a useful addition to it.

If you know the name of the application you want to open but don't recall into which category it was assigned, just start AppFinder, type a couple of letters and there it is. Click and the desired application opens.

Maybe better even if you know the Category. No scrolling thru menus while squinting. The text is a good size, easily read.

I had intended to attach a pet. But even at 295 bytes (compressed) it exceeded the Forum's limits. But, may be just as well. AppFinder is easy to build using your Puppies Package Manager and PaDS.

Regarding PaDS, read and obtain here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=658359#658359 and read here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=960945#960945. Open PPM and search for “Xfce”. Scroll to and select Xfce4-Appfinder. Do not install. Download (all packages and dependencies), Move the resulting files into a folder named “AppFinder” plus whatever identifying characteristics you may want to add to its name. Right-click the folder and select “Combine to SFS” from the popup menu.

Either include xfce-applications.menu [available here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=961426#961426] in your build* or add it to your OS later. AppFinder will function without it. But, without it, AppFinder doesn't understand Puppy menu structure and will place most applications in “Other”.

To include it in your build requires either re-building the SFS or creating a pet. Because of AppFinder's small size, the latter is recommended. See the 2nd link above regarding PaDS for instructions on creating a pet or rebuilding an SFS. Hint: It involves creating a folder, mounting the original SFS, copying its files, then using the dir2pet or dir2sfs command.

mikesLr

p.s. AppFinder for 32-bit Tahrpup is included in the archive mentioned here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=982927#982927
AppFinder Display.png
 Description   What it looks like
 Filesize   64.57 KB
 Viewed   139 Time(s)

AppFinder Display.png

Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 13 Feb 2018, 00:55; edited 1 time in total
matchpoint

PostPosted: Mon 12 Feb 2018, 22:20    Post subject:  

Hmm, looks a bit like this Mike, don't you think?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb 2018, 00:50    Post subject:  

Hi Matchpoint,

Sure do. It's an alternative. Check the Repository Thread where I've just provided a link to an archive containing both, noted their similarity and credited SFR with Find 'n Runs' creation. [Should have mentioned Step's subsequent work but forgot to make a note of that while examining apps as discussed in the post on the Repository Thread]

But with the xfce-applications.menu used I think AppFinder is prettier. Smile.

I first became aware of xfce-app-finder in a discussion about Xfce's Whisker-Menu. What would really be great is to figure out some way to have AppFinder when started from an launcher on the Taskbar open immediately above that launcher. It would then constitute a functional substitue for Whisker-Menu that could be used with most Window-Managers. That puzzle appears to be beyond both my searching and building abilities. Sad At least for now. Wink

mikesLr
matchpoint

PostPosted: Tue 13 Feb 2018, 07:41    Post subject:    

You're right Mike. I'm sure a coding genius like SFR must occasionally ring out, "Doh! Where's that whatchamacallit?"
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to: