Booting UEFI/EFI Computers - What Works, What Doesn't

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Limbomusic

oh

#41 Post by Limbomusic »

Lassar - In case u wanna have a background-image in the LICK-menu.
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/LICK ... _lick.html

8Geee

#42 Post by 8Geee »

Just some simple questions...

Presuming the Windows environment, is Fat16/Fat32/NTFS the allowed formats? Is a linux partition ext3 or 4 allowed?

If a separate partition is made with different Drive Letter, will Lick install the iso to such "new" drive?

Thanks
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gyro

#43 Post by gyro »

@BarryK

My desktop has a UEFI "bios", I have "compatability mode" enabled.
But when I use the "bios" "Boot Menu", I can choose a UEFI boot on a device that has UEFI support.
I was able to successfully UEFI boot your image.

gyro

gyro

#44 Post by gyro »

8Geee wrote:Presuming the Windows environment, is Fat16/Fat32/NTFS the allowed formats? Is a linux partition ext3 or 4 allowed?
My experience is that Windows usually ignores partitions containing Linux file systems. Both drives in my desktop have a combination of NTFS and ext4 partitions.
You can still see their presence in Windows "Disk Management".

gyro

Burn_IT

#45 Post by Burn_IT »

It will see them and use them IF you load the drivers!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

marcus.bdg

New Puppy 7.5 in UEFI Liva XE pc

#46 Post by marcus.bdg »

Thank you all who made the Puppy 7.5 . Just succeeded booting it in a ECS Liva XE (Intel 3060 , 2G/64G emmc , UEFI , no installed OS) . How :
a) Downloaded XenialPup64 7.5 iso file ,
b) With Ubuntu 15.4 , dd the iso into a 8G usb flash (SanDisk) , but it didn't boot ;
c) With Windws XP , downloaded Unetbootin and made a bootable usb flash (the same 8G) , it didn't boot either ,
d) Downloaded Rufus 2.18 and made a bootable Puppy in iso mode , using the same usb flash above , it started booting but stoped asking for a partition path ,
e) With Ubuntu , opened the iso file and the usb flash bootable file , to compare ,
f) Added to the bootable usb flash file : Isolinux.bin , Islinux.cfg , Initrd.gz and Boot catalog , it finally booted well .
I am browsing using a usb modem 3g , but wifi may need additional driver which ECS does provide in its website (for Ubuntu 14.04 , don't know if works for this Puppy) .

In Liva's UEFI : disabled "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot" , changed boot order to boot from usb flash first .

mikeslr

Re: New Puppy 7.5 in UEFI Liva XE pc

#47 Post by mikeslr »

marcus.bdg wrote:
I am browsing using a usb modem 3g , but wifi may need additional driver which ECS does provide in its website (for Ubuntu 14.04 , don't know if works for this Puppy)
Probably won't. Wifi drivers are "Kernel Specific", and the kernel used in Xenial 7.5 --based on Ubuntu 16.04-- is different than that used in Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty Tahr).

If it doesn't work, ask for help on the "User's Section" or the Xenial 7.5 thread.

If nothing works under Xenial, you might want to try a Tahrpup 6.0.6 you'll find here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/. The Tahrpups are 'binary compatible' with Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. The ISO versions with 64 in their names indicate they are 64-bit OSes. Uefi in the name indicates they contain the signature required by UEFI constructed computers. [It's ignored when booting a 'bios' computer]. I'd also suggest trying this tahrpup: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 810#982810, but it is only 32-bit and, to be honest, I don't have a uefi computer so I have no way of testing that the uefi files I added, as discussed in that post, actually work. And using a later kernel may not have the same drivers included in Ubuntu Trusty Tahr and the original Tahrpup based on Trusty Tahr's binaries. Might -- Puppy Devs set out to include all drivers that are likely to be needed; but can't be expected to think of everything.

mikesLr