Wacky function keys in Midnight Commander

Booting, installing, newbie
richlv

Wacky function keys in Midnight Commander

#1 Post by richlv »

as i am very used to mc, i installed it in puppy, too.
the problem is, some very important function keys do not work - for example, f10 minimizes mc windows, f9 also does something not expected).
how can i make sure all function keys work in mc ? is this related to windowmanager (default, fvwm95, it think) shortcut keys ?

#2 Post by Guest »

If you start rxvt and then start mc from the term all the function keys work nicely...I think it may have something to do with the commandline that starts mc from my-roxapps

richlv

#3 Post by richlv »

hmm. that's exactly how i am starting it - from rxvt.

mc does not allow me to use ctrl+o (complains about terminal type), so maybe that might have something to do with this problem ?

do you have some customized commandline for function keys to work ?

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Midnight Commander's function keys work very well for me under at least the following conditions:

1) Not running X

2) If X, using icewm and running mc in mrxvt, (not to be confused with rxvt)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

what is mc?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#6 Post by Guest »

Might be the way mc was compiled.....I dunno

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

mc - is Midnight Commander

mc - not being installed (and too hard to install) in the earlier versions is the reason I left Puppy for a while. It is still not installed on current releases, but it is an easy dotpup install.

mc - is modeled after the Norton Commander

mc - is a curses based dual paned file manager, ftp client and much more

big screenshot

http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/images/mc-panels.png

I personally recommend mc-plus dotpup by AlienX

richlv

#8 Post by richlv »

bruce b, yep, in console function keys work ok.
what is mrxvt and is it installed by default ? maybe i could check it in combination with fvwm95.

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

richv, I'd failed to figure out how ot get fvwm95 to send F1, F2, F3 and F4 to any console. F9, F10, F11 are defined in .fvwm95rc and can be fixed.

if you challenge yourself to fix F1 thru F4 and suceed. Please write and tell me how ya done it.

If you want F1 thru F4 for console use in X, I suggest icwm.

I suppose you can get mrxvt at the pup download pages. I got it in this forum in the additional software section. At least two releases over there. I think you will have to play around some.

I also recommend mrxvtset because little ole me complied it and distributed it - also it is a cool util.

I run bash exclusively.

If you install mrxvt - as an additional bonus I'll give you a genuine byte for byte of my .mrxvtrc file.