FatDog64 720 & 721

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mzee1934

FatDog64 720 & 721

#1 Post by mzee1934 »

I downloaded both FatDog64 720 & 721 and copied them to a USB stick with Rufus in 'ISO' mode. Neither one will boot, both end up with a login message & a blinking cursor.
How should I install them, & should I use 'ISO' or 'DD' settings in Rufus?

belham2

Re: FatDog64 720 & 721

#2 Post by belham2 »

mzee1934 wrote:I downloaded both FatDog64 720 & 721 and copied them to a USB stick with Rufus in 'ISO' mode. Neither one will boot, both end up with a login message & a blinking cursor.
How should I install them, & should I use 'ISO' or 'DD' settings in Rufus?
Hey Mzee,

Any chance you can nix Rufus altogether, and read thru this link & try one of these?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/faq.html

I always have hit or miss luck with Rufus on everything. DD-ing anything is my preferred route. Also be aware, if you've an older machine, Fatdog (since its initrd is so huge) will take awhile to boot. Like in several minutes. Lol, mine took ~7 minutes once, cursor blinking & all, until I realized what was going on & doing wrong :lol: . You can get around this, like myself & others do, by making the initrd smaller (removing the Fatdog64.sfs main file). There's detailed information within Fatdog Documentation to do this, and/or also use (iirc) a downloadable smaller initrd version. Anyhow, here's the main link for Fatdog Documentation & everything for handling the ISO. It really pays to take time to read this ALL thru and know what's what. And its rewarding in the end, as Fatdog (and all Puppies & DDogs here) are unlike the big Linux distros that your use to just slamming & booting up):

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/#docs

Good luck!

mzee1934

Problems with FatDogs

#3 Post by mzee1934 »

The problem of the USB stick not booting FD64 720 was solved by selecting 'DD' in Rufus. There is another problem with FD64 720 in that when booting with 'LICK' it comes up with the same message as it did with the USB created with the 'ISO' setting:-

"Welcome to Bulldog Linux.
bulldog Login:
Password: "

No idea who or what is Bulldog, Login or Password.

There is also a problem with the savefile in FD64 710 when booted by 'LICK' on HPG3 eMMc notebook running W10 with EFI. FD runs fine, but for some reason it ignores the savefile, even when found. If I place the savefile on a USB stick it works fine.