How to revert to original Grub on laptop HD?

Using applications, configuring, problems
geraldocg

How to revert to original Grub on laptop HD?

#1 Post by geraldocg »

Hi,
I have Slacko 5.7.0 PAE in a pen-drive.
Have been using it with success to clone Hds, partitions and retrieve data from crippled Hds.
My laptop has a 750G Hd, dual booting Ubuntu MATE 10.04.3 LTS (first boot option) and W7.
Yesterday installed an 240G SSD in a 'case', booted Slacko from the pen-drive, created in SSD an ext4 partition and a Linux-Swap one and cloned Mate partition from main Hd (sda7) to the SSD (sdc1).
The SSD did not boots even main Hd unplugged. A year or more ago I have done the same in another lap and SSD with success. Do not remember what I have done that time (being 75 I have no more a MEMORY but a vague remembrance).
Plugged in the original Hd and the SSD together, and booting from the pen-drive used 'Legacy GRUB config 2013'. Certainly made some mistake and this GRUB was installed in the Hd, not in SSD. The Hd could no more boot in MATE or W7.
Used then 'Initialization configuration Grub4Dos' in Slacko and could now, at least, boot in MATE but not in W7.
In the Hd, MATE is in a extended partition but in the SSD it is not; also in the Hd, MATE partition shows / as mounting point and for the SSD does not even shows the mounting point column (in Geparted).
In MATE I ran 'Grub Customizer' and things were as before the mistake, saved, but Grub4Dos keeps appearing again.
Next try is booting from W7 install DVD and to fix things.

Is there a way to revert to my good old MATE Grub?
Thanks for any help,
Geraldo

foxpup

#2 Post by foxpup »

hello Geraldo

You do not seem to get support here. It looks like you could have a complicated problem.
How are you getting on with it?

You used 'Legacy GRUB config 2013' from slacko5.7? There are reports that version is broken, so it may not be a mistake you made.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=85018
I am not at all familiar with this way of booting (legacy grub) and the way you set this up. I am not around for long enough.
in the Hd, MATE partition shows / as mounting point and for the SSD does not even shows the mounting point column (in Geparted).
That is probably because you booted into ubuntu on the hd. You started gparted in that ubuntu?
In MATE I ran 'Grub Customizer' and things were as before the mistake, saved, but Grub4Dos keeps appearing again.
Next try is booting from W7 install DVD and to fix things.
What do you mean "as before the mistake"?
When does Grub4Dos appear?
Did it work with the install DVD from W7? Are you able to boot W7?
Does Grub Customizer not have an entry for windows?

geraldocg

#3 Post by geraldocg »

Hi,
Thanks for answering.
I solved the problem by running Ubuntu MATE from cd, installing 'boot-rescue' and following the instructions found on the web.
I have not responded earlier cause I have been traveling.
Regards,
Geraldo

foxpup

#4 Post by foxpup »

Thanks for giving the keys for the solution. Might be helpful for someone.
Well done!