Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
april

Getting CUP setup running

#641 Post by april »

When I tried to add a printer a while back setup-cups didn't work got a funny page with bookmarks that didn't work.

Turns out from the cups script it expects the default browser /html viewer to be set . As Xenialpup64 7.5 comes out of the box with the viewer set to "auto" it did not get there .

So change default html viewer to palemoon and the cups setup comes up normally

trlkly

#642 Post by trlkly »

The boot-up help file is inaccurate, as it seems the puppy alias hasn't been included in the boot list. (All of the existing menu options use .linux instead.)

It also would be nice if the pfix=nocopy option was in the boot menu. I would think it would be commonly used for fast boots at the cost of slower running.

(It's also useful for testing purposes, since it gives you a larger save file by default.)

shelezyaka

#643 Post by shelezyaka »

Hello .
I'm using Xenialpup 64 7.5. Need to display the layout of the languages in the tray. After installing the fbxkb package, the languages are switched and there are no icons in the tray. What should I install?

GeraSats

#644 Post by GeraSats »

shelezyaka wrote:Hello .
I'm using Xenialpup 64 7.5. Need to display the layout of the languages in the tray. After installing the fbxkb package, the languages are switched and there are no icons in the tray. What should I install?
Update the package database. Install gxneur

shelezyaka

#645 Post by shelezyaka »

GeraSats

#646 Post by GeraSats »

bigpup

#647 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.5
Frugal with save folder.

Cpu-frequency scaling tool
set to use the intel_pstate scaling driver.

This driver only has powersave or performance governors.
That is by design, so normal.

It defaults to performance.
If changed to powersave.
The change is shown as being made.
However it does not actually change.

The change is suppose to be recorded in /etc/init.d/wcpufreq

wcpufreq file has only this in it

Code: Select all

#!/bin/busybox ash
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ledster

#648 Post by Ledster »

HP 15bs162sa laptop, Intel i5-8250U quad core with Intel UHD graphics 620 chip built in, 4 Gb ddr4 memory, 1Tb hard disk, UEFI, Intel radio chip 3168NGW (AC3168).

Still sorting out my new laptop (running xenialpup64 7.5, frugal with save folder, usbstick).
Wireless and printing sorted, now it's the graphics turn.
The screen is rather dim and the keyboard keys for controlling brightness do not work. Windows 10 has complete control using the "Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel". Intel say the chip is supported on linux but they do not themselves supply a driver and I lost my way trying to follow there links for someone that does.
I did find files called "brightness" , "max_brightness" and "actual_brightness" in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/. The brightness" file has the number 300 in it (and nothing else) and the file called "max_brightness" has 1500 in it. So tried changing the 300 to 500. Instant success! BUT it is not persistent and reverts to 300 on next restart.
So now I know it's possible to change the brightness, can anyone tell me how I should be doing it. I'm guessing there must be a program somewhere that can, but where?

Another minor problem I have is that the cpu temperature icon always says 27 degrees and only shows cpu frequencies when clicked. Haven't got anywhere with that yet.

All help/advice gratefully received!

Ledster

greengeek

#649 Post by greengeek »

If you try the following syntax does it brighten the screen?

echo 500 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

If so, you could put that command into a /root/Startup script and it should set the brightness each time you boot or restart the X server.

bigpup

#650 Post by bigpup »

Go to menu->setup->Screen/Graphics wizard->monitor gamma calibration
In each color entry adjust equally
Negative number - to lower brightness
Positive number - to increase brightness.
Apply
exit
After closing program:
Select Yes to save current configuration.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Ledster

#651 Post by Ledster »

@Greengeek: It works.
I have made several files that write different numbers to "brightness" (300,500, 600, 700, 800). Just click on the files to vary the brightness - and putting the best one in startup works. Many thanks!

@bigpup: Also works - but colours look a little washed out. Sticking to Greengeek's idea.

Thanks for the help folks - best forum I've come across.

ally

#652 Post by ally »

it took me a lot of trawling to resolve the brightness control on my lenovo x230, I also found how to get cpu frequency control

see the last 2 arguments on the end of my grub

kernel /xenial64_7.5/vmlinuz   psubdir=xenial64_7.5 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck intel_pstate=disable acpi_osi="!Windows 2012"
:)

yuan

Wine64 installation problems

#653 Post by yuan »

The installation of wine64-3.1_v4.1.pet, the following problems。

sh-4.3# winecfg
Wine cannot find the ncurses library (libncurses.so.5).
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
0009:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winex11.drv": libXext.so.6: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
0009:err:user:load_desktop_driver failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winex11.drv"
0009:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"l3codeca.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sh-4.3# 

headfound

#654 Post by headfound »

Greengeek and Ledster
I had the same problem with adjusting the brightness on my laptop and using your advice I now have three files to adjust my brightness at a click. Thanks!
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

greengeek

#655 Post by greengeek »

headfound wrote:I had the same problem with adjusting the brightness on my laptop and using your advice I now have three files to adjust my brightness at a click. Thanks!
Great, glad to hear that worked.

Some other users will find that their machines do not use "intel" backlight and will need a different script - the following one might work for some users:

echo 5 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
However - the actual number which represents max brightness will be different for different hardware. On many machines it is possible to discover what value your machine sees as the max brightness level by running the following code:

cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/max_brightness
On my machine I also used a different method - I used "xbacklight" and put a couple of icons in the system tray to increase or decrease backlight intensity as required (see pic below). The good thing about xbacklight is that it allows you to increment and decrement the brightness rather than setting an absolute value. This means you can bind an "increment" script and a "decrement" script to the keyboard keys that should normally have these functions.

Hopefully xbacklight will be available in the xenial repos.
Attachments
xbacklight_controls.jpg
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 1008 times

witekjeden

#656 Post by witekjeden »

After installation XFCE cant replace Jwm. Wmswitcher not working.

root# wmswitcher
woops, unsupported
root# 
How to switch on Xfce or other window manager?

bigpup

#657 Post by bigpup »

Where did you get a 64bit version of XFCE?

Well, I got it to work for me by doing this:
In Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Searched for xfce.
Downloaded and installed xfce4_4.12.2 meta-package
It also downloaded and installed a bunch of xfce support and added files/packages.
So, it seems to have gotten the xfce needed files/packages.

Need to load the 32bit compatibility libs_xenial.sfs to probably run this version of wmswitcher. I think it is 32bit.

Installed this pet of wmswitcher and ran it from the menu>Desktop> WMswitcher

Note:
May have to restart graphical server to get wmswitcher to work.
Also, PPM still lists other added programs, specific to xfce, you can download.
Attachments
wmswitcher-0.18.pet
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#658 Post by mikeslr »

Hi bigpup,

Thanks for finding the pet. I've unsuccessfully looked for one several times. And thanks for the information regarding how to obtain the xfce window manager.

bigpup: "Need to load the 32bit compatibility libs_xenial.sfs to probably run this version of wmswitcher. I think it is 32bit. "

I'm not sure that's necessary. Other than some icons and a /usr/share/applications/ desktop file, the pet consists of a bash script: /usr/sbin/wmswitcher. I didn't see any call to a binary or a library, 32-bit or 64-bit. anywhere in the script.

The section relating to changing to xfce reads:

#xfce4 changer #ditto icewm comment
XFCE(){
if [ -f $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 ];then mv -f $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0.bak
fi
restartwm startxfce4
[ "$CURRENTWM" = "openbox" ]&& killall fbpanel
[[ "$CURRENTWM" = "startxfce4" || "$CURRENTWM" = "startfluxbox" || "$CURRENTWM" = "startkde" ]]&& killall X
}

As I always run wine, among the first things I do is install the 32-bit libraries. So I have no current way of checking. I'll try to remember to do so the next time I set up a 64-bit Puppy.

mikesLr

p.s. If you add the Whisker Menu plugin, you may find this information of value to "Puppifying" its structure. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 426#961426

witekjeden

#659 Post by witekjeden »

Thanks for reply. Yes, it was Xfce from PPM. The Xenialpup64 including wmswitcher 19 version. But now i guess a problem was my pendrive crashes because on the next one the wmswitcher starts works ok. Some of my poor pendrives crashes after format 2 partitions: fat32 for system and ext2 (or f2fs) for pupsave.

bigpup

#660 Post by bigpup »

bigpup: "Need to load the 32bit compatibility libs_xenial.sfs to probably run this version of wmswitcher. I think it is 32bit. "

I'm not sure that's necessary. Other than some icons and a /usr/share/applications/ desktop file, the pet consists of a bash script: /usr/sbin/wmswitcher. I didn't see any call to a binary or a library, 32-bit or 64-bit. anywhere in the script.
OK!
first things I do is install the 32-bit libraries
I do also. Just seems to eliminate problems with installing some of the pets I like to install.

I am still unclear on what makes a program 32bit or 64 bit with Puppy.
YaPI(any iso installer)