How to get Zoom Teleconferencing software working?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ndujoe1

How to get Zoom Teleconferencing software working?

#1 Post by ndujoe1 »

https://www.zoom.us

I am attempting to follow the dependency yellow brick road to see if I can get this software to work on my puppex tahr6.0.5 64 bit puppy.

so far I have installed these two dependencies that were indicate in my terminal notices while attempting to run it.

I installed zoom_amd64.deb

dependency:
libxcb-image0_0.3.9-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
libxcb-xtest0_1.10-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb

the reports his long list of dependencies, but these first got me close I think.
libglib2.0-0
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
libxcb-shape0
libxcb-shm0
libxcb-xfixes0
libxcb-randr0
libxcb-image0
libfontconfig1
libgl1-mesa-glx
libxi6
libsm6
libxrender1
libpulse0
libxcomposite1
libxslt1.1
libsqlite3-0
libxcb-keysyms1
libxcb-xtest0

here is the error screen that is displayed at this stage:

ZoomLauncher started.
Zoom not exist at current directory - /root
Zoom path is: /opt/zoom
cmd line:
$HOME = /root
zoom started.
[CZPClientLogMgr::LogClientEnvironment] [MacAddr: 00:1C:C0:4E:04:79][client: Linux][OS: tahrpup64 6.0.5][Hardware: CPU Core:2 Frenquency:2.4 G Memory size:3870MB CPU Brand:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz][Req ID: ]
Linux Client Version is 2.0.91373.0502
QSG_RENDER_LOOP is
Graphics Card Info:: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Zoom package arch is 64bit, runing OS arch is x86_64
AppIconMgr::systemDesktopName log Desktop Name:
qt.scenegraph.general: QSG: basic render loop
sh: line 1: 24565 Segmentation fault /opt/zoom/zoom ""
success to create child process,status is 35584.
zoom exited normally.
Something went wrong while running zoom,exit code is 139.
ZoomLauncher exit.

any advise, direction welcome. Thanks.

ac2011

#2 Post by ac2011 »

Did you get anywhere with this? I have a very similar error running the 32-bit version in Tahr 6.0.5. No obvious clues as to what's wrong.

ndujoe1

#3 Post by ndujoe1 »

Nope, it is a dependency nightmare imo. I made some efforts and borked a savefile in PUppy and had to reinstall from scratch. So i decided to let the sleeping dog remain so.

ac2011

#4 Post by ac2011 »

OK. I'll persevere. I only needed the two libxcb-* .debs, as ZoomLauncher sorts out the path to the other missing dependencies. So I don't think it's a dep problem. Could be a hardware issue or something else. I'm going to try it in the latest Slacko 7 (32-bit still). Will report back if I get it working.

ndujoe1

#5 Post by ndujoe1 »

thanks for diving in on the issue. I have used the Android version in our computer club it is a nice teleconferencing interface. Good Luck.

ac2011

#6 Post by ac2011 »

Well, I need it for work so it'd be good to get it running. Exactly the same issue in Slacko 6.9.9.6 (32-bit), after installing xcb-utils-image (or similar name, I forget exactly) from the PPM.

At this stage I'm wondering if it's a 'not liking running as root' issue (I tried as Spot but ZoomLauncher complained that it couldn't access the display) or a problem with out-of-date graphics hardware (we're both using Intel cards and mine's antique). The Zoom page for Linux says it needs an OpenGL 2.0-capable card, which I'd have thought these are, but maybe not.

I'll try later with a Radeon-based machine, out of interest... and frustration.

Any tips or ideas, please jump in.

ndujoe1

#7 Post by ndujoe1 »

too bad it was not built as a contained unit like Teamviewer, that operates from a subset of wine built into it. Teamviewer works right out of the box with the 32 bit compatibility interface in tahr 6.05 for example.

ac2011

#8 Post by ac2011 »

I was thinking about trying the Windows client under Wine, but haven't yet spoofed the browser ID so the Zoom site will let me download it, as it detects Linux and only offers me that. Maybe I can get it elsewhere.

ac2011

#9 Post by ac2011 »

Well, I found ZoomLauncher.exe and attempted to run that under Wine but didn't get too far because xdg-open on my system doesn't have a handler for https (I tried to get around that with gconf but failed). If Wine supports your webcam and you get over that hurdle, I think it might work.

I also had this response to a support request:
Our engineering team looked into this issue and came up with the following:
The stack shows it crashed in libqxcb-glx-integration.so when it showing its first window.
The Qt Quick has compatibility issue with Puppy Linux, if the "QQuickWindow::**setDefaultAlphaBuffer(true)**"

We are currently not supporting Puppy Linux with Zoom. We have a list of supported Linux OS here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... -and-Linux
If I have the time I may look into this some more, but if any devs out there understand how to take this further, feel free to jump in...

Edit to add: maybe a different window manager / DE might work? Perhaps if someone could try it on an XFCE Puppy.

ndujoe1

#10 Post by ndujoe1 »

Thanks for your efforts thus far. I simply don't wish to install a Wine in full on my Puppylinux box. The Teamviewer contained implementation of Wine is far as I will go.

I did read your tech response from Zoom. Am puzzled how Teamviewer is able to implement the Wine subset but not them. It works fine in Puppylinux.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ndujoe, ac 2011:-

Interesting to follow your efforts on this one. I'm just considering, now; if it is the 'running-as-root' thing, I can't help wondering whether the 'bbe' script that Phil B. put together (and which Oscar and myself have been putting to good use in various of the Chromium-based browsers) would work for you, too.

Have a look here (it's in the latter part of iguleder's thread titled 'Google Chrome as root - The revenge', where he originally put together a brand-new lib module that fooled Chrome into thinking you were running as a 'normal' user.)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 856#943856

Just copy the text into Leafpad, save as 'whatever', and make it executable. Then drag & drop any binaries, etc., you want to change ownership of onto the script, and let go.

Works a treat for the browsers.....and there's no reason it won't do the same job for other applications.
And, er.....Tahrpup, of course, is based on Trusty 14.04, as we all know by now (which is 'higher' than 12.04 - their 'minimum'). So what are Zoom going on about? Must be the 'running-as-root' single-user thing again; all Ubuntu packages are built assuming a multi-user environment, and nobody going anywhere near /root apart from the admins.....and permissions are set accordingly.

Mike. :wink:

PawPrint

Problems with Zoom teleconfenceing

#12 Post by PawPrint »

I have been running puppy tahr 6.0.5.CE, 32 bit, no PAE. I have tried installing Zoom for Linux, and aside from needing to install the two libxcb packages, which I did, I have not been able to get around the segfault problem. (I get essentially the same error messages) It works fine in another micro distro, so the problem has to be an incompatibility with puppy's internals. Any ideas?

ndujoe1

#13 Post by ndujoe1 »

Needs a newer version of Python imo, I may be wrong. But that's my view