Get an ethernet network connection any place in your home

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
bigpup

Get an ethernet network connection any place in your home

#1 Post by bigpup »

I saw this on TV show about technology and decided to give it a try.

It is called Power Line Networking.

What it is:
A device that lets you use the wiring in your home to act as Ethernet cabling.
Able to connect a computer, in any room, to your network router, located any place in the home.

It uses 2 adapters.

Plug one adapter into a power wall plug and connect it to your router, using a Ethernet cable.

Go to where your computer is.
Plug another adapter into a power wall plug and connect it to the computer using a Ethernet cable.

1st. adapter provides the Internet connection, feeding it to the electrical wiring in the home.

2nd. adapter picks up the network signal from the home electrical wiring and feeds it to the computer.

The two adapters are linked together in a network.

So, why do this?

It Blows Away Wifi. :!: :!: :!: :!:
My Internet connection speed is 2 or 3 times faster than Wifi was able to give me.

All of the wiring is already in each room of the home.

You can use up to 16 adapters.
all working together in one big network.

The adapter still has an electric outlet on it, so you do not loose an outlet.

I am very happy with this!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

Just curious... what happens if you were to turn on an AM Radio (meaning the 500-1600 khz band) in the house? is it the same when this "network" is D/C?

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

I've been using [Devolo] Powerline Adapters for years now, with never a hitch or a complaint.
I use it for connecting:
...[in the past] to my router+modem [and now] my hub, then out onto the web...
a. My Sony Smart TV.
And/or...
b. Raspberry Pi.

infromthepound

#4 Post by infromthepound »

I have been using it for some time (Ever since the mice ate my wired network).
I have 4 different brands of power adapters and all work happily together, I use them on computers, printers, TV's etc.
The only problem I have found is that every few months it locks up and I have to unplug for a few moments to reset.
JB

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

I use one to feed between floors i.e. upstairs from the router downstairs. Generally great, except for when there's a power cut it might need resetting and syncing the two can have me running up and downstairs a few times to press the sync buttons as it never seems to sync first time. On a 100Mbs feed, not sure what the throughput is on the upstairs segment as I don't use that myself (my main system is hard wired near the router).

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I have 4 different brands of power adapters and all work happily together, I use them on computers, printers, TV's etc.
The only problem I have found is that every few months it locks up and I have to unplug for a few moments to reset.
I was wondering how different brands of adapters would work together.
Must be one computer device, that everyone has agreed to support, one specific way of doing things. :shock: :o :shock: :o :lol: :lol:

The ones I got are newest design.
They seem to have a lot of auto features.
After no network activity (for a certain time period) they power down and go to sleep.
Suppose to have auto reset.

Just tested it.
The adapter was asleep. (Only indicator light, was power on. Indicates wall plug has power).
Turned computer on.
Adapter auto powered up. (got indicator light)
Network connection powered up. (got indicator light)
Everything working normal.
So sleep feature works.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

I read you can use these to actually put your wifi router/transmitter in a different location in the home.
It does not have to be connected to the place the internet service comes into home.
Plug one adapter to internet service source.
Put other adapter any place in home.
Hook wifi router to it.
That is the new location of your wifi router/transmitter.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

rufwoof wrote:...syncing the two can have me running up and downstairs a few times to press the sync buttons as it never seems to sync first time.
I sync them close by each other [unit-2 in the nearest power socket to unit-1], and once syncing is complete move the 2nd adapter to its final location.

Mine always syncs 1st time. :D
rufwoof wrote:...my main system is hard wired near the router
Same here.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

That is no fun. :roll: :lol:

Running up and down stairs is a way to get a little exercise!!

Sylvander,
Good info to know!
Thanks!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

rufwoof

#10 Post by rufwoof »

My internet feed is to a cable modem/hub box, coaxial cable input so I can't really move it (at least not easily). From that one of the four ethernet cables is plugged into the powerline box ... which is pretty old now (and was relatively cheap at the time). Another of the ethernet ports is plugged into a netgen router that was a left over from the prior installation prior to the cable hub with the wireless on that turned off, so that the downstairs direct connected feeds from that are all on a different non-wireless segment, whilst upstairs is fed by the other power line plug or via wireless from the main cable modem hub. I guess really I should move the netgear to upstairs and switch from using the cable modems wireless to that providing wireless, but IIRC the cable modem wireless is more recent (better/faster i.e. has 2.4GHz and 5GHz dual and the 5GHz wireless speed can get up to something like 75Mbs whereas the old netgear wireless speeds are way below that IIRC).

I think with mine that once sync'd if the power goes off the syncing resets, so, at least I think is the case, I can't just sync the two side by side and then unplug one and move it without having to resync again. Quite possibly however its me not having RTFM properly. I've only had to sync them perhaps 3 times in total including after the first initial purchase setup, in the same number of years or more i.e. have just tended to work well/reliably.

Sylvander

#11 Post by Sylvander »

I can unplug my 2nd Powerline Adapter, then...
When I want to use it, I just plug it back in and it works; no need to re-sync. :D

Geoffrey

#12 Post by Geoffrey »

I use 500 MBPS power line adaptors, one at the far end of the house feeds another wireless access point, one connected to my TV box for streaming movies and pay TV and a spare, haven't had a problem with them, their on 24/7.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

vektor_alian

#13 Post by vektor_alian »

Vic here ...

Does it cover any neighbors on the same 220V transformer?

That would be cool!

Vic

bigpup

#14 Post by bigpup »

I do not think so.

However, maybe.
If you own your own house and pay your own electrical bill, know that your neighbors can’t use your connection even if they buy a compatible device. This is because the signal from powerline adapters is scrambled by transformers, and there is almost certainly one between your house and the outside world.

If you live in an apartment, however, there’s a chance your neighbors could pick up a signal, so make sure your adapter supports encryption — and that you turn that functionality on.
YaPI(any iso installer)

vektor_alian

#15 Post by vektor_alian »

My next door neighbor and I share a transformer. 6 wires on 3 terminals.