Pet Get packages don't show in menu - SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
Scoticus

Pet Get packages don't show in menu - SOLVED

#1 Post by Scoticus »

Somehow or other I have managed to use the Pet Get Package Manager and set Opera as my default browser. Similarly by accepting a link I have downloaded Realplayer10. Lastly when experimenting I loaded freecell 1.2 and in each instance all are displayed on the right hand side of the package manager display.

When I go to the menu none of these items are displayed within their respective sections. How do I get them there and to function. Opera and the Realplayer both work OK but I can not yet play freecell.

Your assistance will be most appreciated.

Ian

Edit : downloaded version 2.14 and found Realplayer now in multimedia. Still now show on Opera or Freecell
Last edited by Scoticus on Tue 20 Feb 2007, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

gary101

#2 Post by gary101 »

In your menu go to Dotpups section they should all be listed in there.

Hope this helps

Scoticus

Pet Get Package manager

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks for your reply.

I have been messing about attempting to set up a multisession DVD (but thats another story) and when using 2.13 there was a Dotpup at the top of the menu however since switching to 2.14 the pup has gone into hiding. Realplayer shows up OK in Multimedia but there are no signs of the other two on the menu in either games or internet where I would have expected them to appear.

Would doggie chocs help ?

Ian

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

I'm confused as to what it is you are installing. If you installed the Opera PET package, using PETget package manager, it should be in the menu. If not, something could be wrong with the /usr/share/applications/opera.desktop file -- which is possible as this is the first Puppy using the XDG menu system.

If you installed a DotPup Opera package, Puppy no longer supports the "DotPups" entry in the menu. All pkgs must now have a .desktop file.

PETget will run the 'fixmenus' application after installing a PET package, which updates the menu. If you install a DotPup with a .desktop file, you will have to run 'fixmenus' manually.

Scoticus

Pet Get Package manager

#5 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks Barry

I uninstalled the packages which would not display. Rebooted and re-installed items. Worked a treat as I can now find the items on the menu.

Ian