Puppy Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
smokey01

#261 Post by smokey01 »

@Minnesota I take it you're new to Fatdog.

First go back and read my post where you downloaded the files.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 277#966277 You only need this one: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &id=110935 You do not need the PET one. All older and most newer Puppy distributions use pet files. To install them, simply left mouse click on them and follow the prompts. Not so in Fatdog.

After you download the file you need to remove the .gz extansion on the package. You can do this with Rox by right clicking on spd-1.0-noarch-1.txz.gz and select Rename, then just delete the .gz on the end and click rename. The forum doesn't allow uploads with txz extensions.

With Fatdog you right mouse click on the spd-1.0-noarch-1.txz file then select install package.

You can't see an icon because you had not installed the application, instead you extracted it.

Minnesota

installing

#262 Post by Minnesota »

"With Fatdog you right mouse click on the spd-1.0-noarch-1.txz file then select install package."

Sorry this was not obvious to Me. I left clicked and received the extract dialog.

Just was informed a program I wrote in 2001 is still being used. Linux is a foreign language to me.

Thank your for your assistance. Menu item now shows. I will play with the program.

smokey01

#263 Post by smokey01 »

Updated spd to 1.1

Made a few changes:
Now it will work with much larger files. Tested it with a 100,000 record database. It should work with a much larger database file.
I think the output looks a little better.
Added an advanced search so up to three terms can be entered for each record. Look under File menu Item.
Added some more help at /usr/share/doc/spd/spd.md
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 277#966277

Pelo

Sorting 100.000 records.. It's huge.

#264 Post by Pelo »

database and database management are not the same..
CSV files are data. Dmcsv or CSVfix are usefull and very tiny. But sorting 100.000 records.. It's huge. How long will that take with your system ?

smokey01

Re: Sorting 100.000 records.. It's huge.

#265 Post by smokey01 »

Pelo wrote:database and database management are not the same..
CSV files are data. Dmcsv or CSVfix are usefull and very tiny. But sorting 100.000 records.. It's huge. How long will that take with your system ?
@Pelo, The datafile is 12451926bytes (12M) in size. There are 100,003 records consisting of five fields each.

If I enter an advanced search of a record that I know is unique and at the end of the datafile, it takes less than a second to display it. If I click on search without any filtering, in other words, load the entire datafile, it takes about three seconds to start displaying records. I takes about 25 seconds to load the entire datafile.

I'm happy with the performance.

The advanced search uses grep and the default single search uses awk. Grep is a little quicker than awk.

greengeek

#266 Post by greengeek »

Hi Smokey, on a slacko 5.6 derivative I get "failed to install" when attempting to install the puppy database. Is a Slacko 5.6 version possible do you think? cheers!

smokey01

#267 Post by smokey01 »

greengeek wrote:Hi Smokey, on a slacko 5.6 derivative I get "failed to install" when attempting to install the puppy database. Is a Slacko 5.6 version possible do you think? cheers!
The PET package is compressed with xz. If you can convert it to gz it should work or install xz to slacko-5.6 might also work.

greengeek

#268 Post by greengeek »

smokey01 wrote:The PET package is compressed with xz. If you can convert it to gz it should work or install xz to slacko-5.6 might also work.
Hi Smokey, I do appear to have xz in my Slacko but i just can't get the pet to install nor can I get it to extract the pet either (normally I rename a pet as .pet.tgz to extract it but it sees no contents)

Code: Select all

# which xz
/bin/xz
#
Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone succeeded in installing this on Slacko 5.6?

EDIT :Never mind - got it sorted. All I needed to do to extract the pet was to rename it with a txz suffix (not tgz as i normally do). Then I realised I should just use the other txz package you offered anyway. Installed no worries. Only took me 6 months. Got there in the end :oops:

cheers!

greengeek

#269 Post by greengeek »

First question - if I am adding field names and make a mistake (eg I added "contact1", then "contact2", then tried to delete "contact2" so that I could add "address1" instead) I can't seem to delete the erroneous field I just added. Do I need to start all over?
cheers

smokey01

#270 Post by smokey01 »

greengeek wrote:First question - if I am adding field names and make a mistake (eg I added "contact1", then "contact2", then tried to delete "contact2" so that I could add "address1" instead) I can't seem to delete the erroneous field I just added. Do I need to start all over?
cheers
@greengeek, the first line of the database file defines the fields. Simply open it in a text editor and make the required changes.

greengeek

#271 Post by greengeek »

smokey01 wrote:the first line of the database file defines the fields. Simply open it in a text editor and make the required changes.
Thanks Smokey - that fact will help me understand better how to set up what I need. But - I still have a question about useability of your simple puppy database - when I tried to use it I realised I had to be a bit better organised when defining fields (especially after a glass of vino) and I thought "is it possible for Smokey to build an "undo" button into the gui? I didn't express that very well in my post but I think that one level of "undo" is all that is needed to make the gui much improved.

It is too easy to set a field in stone then think "dammit, I named that field wrong".

One step of "undo" would be fantastic. Multiple steps of undo would be perfection.

What do you think? Is that difficult to achieve?
cheers!

hamoudoudou

The difficulty is management, mainly creating reports.

#272 Post by hamoudoudou »

a database is very easy to build, remember data in your basic programs..
The difficulty is management, mainly creating reports.