Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 15 Oct 2018, 07:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 35 of 49 [726 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2018, 21:22    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.7.2 available  

Pale Moon version 27.7.2 is available. This is a security and stability update to the browser. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530
6502coder

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb 2018, 20:01    Post subject:  

I just updated to 27.7.2SSE per the instructions: delete the old "palemoon" directory, then unpack the new 27.7.2 tarball. This worked fine except that the "new" browser still identifies itself in Help->About as 27.7.1SSE. Is this just a typo? EDIT: Sorry, false alarm. After a reboot, the browser identifies as 27.7.2SSE.
Last edited by 6502coder on Thu 08 Feb 2018, 20:59; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb 2018, 20:51    Post subject:  

OpenBSD have pulled Palemoon due to licensing issues https://www.reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/7w8r0u/pale_moon_removed_from_openbsd_ports_due_to/

Moon Child does seem to be a apt choice of name
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2018, 16:16    Post subject:  

6502coder wrote:
I just updated to 27.7.2SSE per the instructions: delete the old "palemoon" directory, then unpack the new 27.7.2 tarball. This worked fine except that the "new" browser still identifies itself in Help->About as 27.7.1SSE. Is this just a typo? EDIT: Sorry, false alarm. After a reboot, the browser identifies as 27.7.2SSE.

A reboot should not be necessary. Linux does not really delete a file if a program is still accessing it. "ls -al" may not show it, but it's still there, taking up space. If you had a minimized window running during the update, that might explain things. To be sure you've shut down all instances and windows of Pale Moon, issue the command...

Code:
killall palemoon

from a terminal (roxterm/xterm/whatever) before deleting the old directory. It's a bit heavy-handed, but it guarantees Pale Moon is not running.
sindi

PostPosted: Thu 15 Feb 2018, 15:10    Post subject: New Moon 27.8 (for XP) also needs MSE adjusted
Subject description: Only 360p unless you change MSE settings.

New Moon is the XP fork of Pale Moon. On a 2004 DELL Inspiron 600M (1.6GHz), with the usual dead USB ports and wifi slot, New Moon in XP, like Pale Moon in Wary or Lucid Puppy (or later Puppies on older laptops) only provides 360p resolution unless you change MSE settings (uncheck top of three listings under content, check bottom one).

The latest non-SSE Pale Moon does not work in Wary - something missing. Which is one reason Walter continues to compile the SSE version to support older libraries. Many thanks.

New Moon uses less CPU in XP than does Seamonkey 2.49 (which will be the last version to work in XP).,

In XP, with New Moon, at 1.6GHz, with Radeon 9000, 360p works well. 480p (auto in Seamonkey) works badly - goes over 100% CPU usage often. Slower CPU and/or GPU would need 240p. The 1.5GHz 600M was a bit jerky at 360p.
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Fri 23 Feb 2018, 10:37    Post subject: palemoon language, hungarian Puppies  

palemoon language, hungarian Puppies are delivered wit palemoon hungarian version, for people understanding English just change preferences by clicking as below.
Hungarian Artfulpup and artful-stretch HU : ok
addon language switcher

omni.ja : nothing to do with Japan, it's a .jar file (JRE Java)
omnija.jpg
 Description   Omni Ja Palemoon
 Filesize   44.36 KB
 Viewed   363 Time(s)

omnija.jpg

english.jpg
 Description   facile, si on parle des bribes d'anglais
 Filesize   21.68 KB
 Viewed   789 Time(s)

english.jpg

Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 02:35; edited 2 times in total
sindi

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2018, 11:25    Post subject: dttenergy outage map not working with latest Palemoon
Subject description: no map

http://dteenergy.com/map/outage.html

Map of SE Detroit power outages (21,000 customers) appears with Firefox 45 ESR (in Lupu kernel 2.6) but not with Palemoon - just says 'loading'.

Also when I entered a description of the problem it would not accept more than one line of text and I could not even backspace, though I could submit.

I checked and there was plenty of free memory.

Our very wet snow has been pulling power lines off poles.

Palemoon freezes up when using Dpup Stretch kernel 3.16 on a laptop with 1GB RAM and no swap file. No such problem with Wary 5.5. (Lupu cannot handle the video or something on here). The drive is too full to make a swap file. I have to kill Palemoon.

Walter, thank you for making my older laptops usable with Puppy Linux for browsing. Firefox uses too much memory on most of them (512MB total).
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2018, 17:59    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.8.0 available  

Version 27.8.0 is available for downloading. Pale Moon has been updated to v27.8.0, a major development update with new and improved functionality and some bugfixes. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

Instructions for getting the mainstream release are at http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE-only build for Pentium3-class machines is available at URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/ Since the SSE build is not the mainline build it has to be installed manually as per instructions in the first post of thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530
sindi

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2018, 21:27    Post subject: new palemoon works with electrical outage map  

DTE Energy outage map works with the latest Pale Moon.
I think I was allowing all javascript before but maybe not.
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2018, 16:47    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.8.1 available  

Version 27.8.1 is available for downloading. This is a small update to address some breaking issues introduced in the previous release. The release notes are at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml

greengeek

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar 2018, 01:07    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.8.1 available  

Walter Dnes wrote:
Hi Walter, I am keen to produce a PalemoonSSEonly puppy .pet for Slacko 5.6 users but I need to be sure that the results of this are "generic" and not carrying components that are specific to my machine. When I go through the manual process that you describe in your linked post there is quite a delay at the end where the terminal shows "palemoon/libfreeblpriv3.chk".

Is this doing some kind of check that is specific to my machine? Do you think it is safe for me to package the resultant palemoon directoey for distribution to others?

EDIT : Also you say "The first time Pale Moon is installed, you need to create a symlink to the executable" - which is the executable? palemoon or palemoon.bin? Clicking either one seems to start the browser directly.

cheers!
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar 2018, 02:54    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon 27.8.1 available  

greengeek wrote:
Hi Walter, I am keen to produce a PalemoonSSEonly puppy .pet for Slacko 5.6 users but I need to be sure that the results of this are "generic" and not carrying components that are specific to my machine. When I go through the manual process that you describe in your linked post there is quite a delay at the end where the terminal shows "palemoon/libfreeblpriv3.chk".

Is this doing some kind of check that is specific to my machine? Do you think it is safe for me to package the resultant palemoon directoey for distribution to others?

No checking going on. The machine may be a bit slow swapping stuff back in after extracting the tarball. There really is a file called "palemoon/libfreeblpriv3.chk".

greengeek wrote:
EDIT : Also you say "The first time Pale Moon is installed, you need to create a symlink to the executable" - which is the executable? palemoon or palemoon.bin? Clicking either one seems to start the browser directly.

The 2 files are identical. I think that many years ago, some linux distros needed the "-bin" extension to tell them it was executable, so a copy with the "-bin" name was made. Pale Moon seems to have inherited that feature from Firefox. Stick with "palemoon" for the executable name.

A few notes:

1) The extracted directory is self-contained. There is no need to splatter files all over /usr You can do stuff like...

Code:
rm -rf /opt/palemoon
tar -C /opt -xvjf palemoon-27.8.1SSE.linux-i686.tar.bz2
cd /usr/bin
ln -sf /opt/palemoon/palemoon palemoon

Or you can go with /usr/local instead of /opt. Assuming that /usr/bin is in the PATH, it's ready to go. There is nothing deposited outside /opt/palemoon. It creates directory "$HOME/.moonchild productions" when first launched.

2) I'm a volunteer who does a recognized "3rd party build". I don't speak officially for the organization. The redistribution licence is at http://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml You are allowed re-packaging only so far as necessary for the target OS (e.g. rpm, deb, pet). No add-ons, plugins, extra files, deletions, changes, etc. If you have any questions about the licence, click on "contact me" on that web page to get in touch with Moonchild. Since you're doing a "binary re-pack" I don't expect any problems.
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 02:39    Post subject: Why do we find omni.ja twice in OPT ?  

Why do we find omni.ja twice in OPT ?
omnija.jpg
 Description   Strange...
 Filesize   44.36 KB
 Viewed   364 Time(s)

omnija.jpg

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 02:45    Post subject: french refused ! ???  

french refused ! ???
Most of Puppy Linux users can use English. Others will hardly succeed how to do, and leave soon or later
palemoon fr.jpg
 Description   Isn'it a pity ! Magyar without trouble..
 Filesize   48.9 KB
 Viewed   365 Time(s)

palemoon fr.jpg

matchpoint

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 07:02    Post subject:  

Update, then "Preference" method. There's NO reason to run an outdated build of PaleMoon.
Quote:
These language packs are for the latest version of the browser (v27). They will not work on older versions. If you are using an older version of the browser, please update to the current version first. If you for whatever reason....
read-on_3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   22.31 KB
 Viewed   349 Time(s)

read-on_3.jpg

Page 35 of 49 [726 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, ..., 47, 48, 49 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: