Google Chrome 64-bit packages - [CLOSED]

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

#201 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Now we're back in the swing of things..!

Currently testing the 'beta' of Chrome 63.0.3239.30. NetFlix fine; Pepper working A-OK. At present, everything looking very smooth. No issues to report.

Mike. :wink:

jake29

#202 Post by jake29 »

Thanks Mike, your continued support is appreciated. 62.0.3202.75 working well in FatDog64 out-of-the-box.

Mike Walsh

#203 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Jake.
jake29 wrote:Thanks Mike, your continued support is appreciated. 62.0.3202.75 working well in FatDog64 out-of-the-box.
Ah, I'm pleased to hear that. Does FatDog make use of 'spot'? Never having used it, it's not something I was aware of.....

jake29

#204 Post by jake29 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Ah, I'm pleased to hear that. Does FatDog make use of 'spot'? Never having used it, it's not something I was aware of.....
Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but /root/spot/ exists and appears to be used in FatDog. My understanding of this is limited.

step

#205 Post by step »

jake29 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:Ah, I'm pleased to hear that. Does FatDog make use of 'spot'? Never having used it, it's not something I was aware of.....
Maybe someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but /root/spot/ exists and appears to be used in FatDog. My understanding of this is limited.
Fatdog is true multi-user without sudo. The release system has one full user, root, and a "limited" user, spot, which is used to run Seamonkey by default. But you can run pretty much any process as spot by prefixing its command line with "run-as-spot". So I run Chromium-based browser Opera that way. It works well. For pepperflash support I have to specify the pepperflash.so path with --ppapi... and place the library file in spot's home folder with spot's ownership. Please note: don't hardwire /root/spot as spot's home. Instead read its location with ` ls -d ~spot` (bash) or `grep spot /etc/passwd|cut -d: -f6` (other shells).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Mike Walsh

#206 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

The current stable release of Chrome - 63.0.3239.84 - is now available from the usual location.

----------------------------------------------------

Belham2's wrapper-script and 'run-as-spot' modifications are still running sweetly, as are battleshooter's 'self-contained' NSS/GTK3 libs. No real problems to report, aside from the afore-mentioned possible reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing. I still maintain this could be confined to my own machine, since I haven't had any reports of problems in this area, Please remember, boys & girls.....feedback is important, and helps me to keep producing Chrome for all Puppians.

'Silent-launch' is now included as standard.

Changes for this release:-

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2 ... sktop.html

Quite a list this time. Those good ol' boys at Google keep on beavering away, unearthing and digging-up problems.....no doubt aided by the sizeable 'bug bounty' always on offer.

-------------------------------------------------------

Any problems, let me know, and I'll do what I can to help resolve 'em.

Have fun!

ally

#207 Post by ally »

hiya

I'm still running 57 on xenial64 7.5, I get a screen freeze when downloading from sourceforge or google drive but only when 2 or more download windows appear at the same time

this happens for example when bulk downloading from drive where the files are zipped and arrive simultaneously, if I'm quick enough to hit enter all well and good otherwise screen freeze, I then have to wait for the download(s) to finish then close the browser and restart

I've just downloaded 63, when I get a chance (bulk upload in progress) I'll give it spin

cheers

:)

Mike Walsh

#208 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, ally.

Mm. Well, I DID say this is what I need - feedback! - and 'twould seem it's not confined to my machine.

I've got a feeling I know what the cure for this is; it's something known as the 'glib-schemas'. Peebee's got it incorporated into the current Chromiums, but I still haven't figured out quite how to build it into Chrome yet. When I do get it sussed, it'll be incorporated into the Slimmie & Iron packages, too.

I'll get there eventually. I suspect you'll have the same trouble with 63 (for now), but, er.....let me know what happens, please.

ally

#209 Post by ally »

running 63 since yesterday, no issues so far but also no drive or sourceforge shenanigans

I do not like spot, very restrictive for me if I'm batching without being able to use wget

also dislike the inability to select file location shortcuts (the '+' to add sda3 etc.) when uploading files although it makes sense if you are expecting files to be in spot

how to set spot outside of pupsave?

appreciate all the effort

ally

#210 Post by ally »

chrome is not storing in-browser selections

for example, if I add my location to the weather page on bbc.co.uk/weather it is not remembered when visiting agsin

same for gumtree and a streaming site

Mike Walsh

#211 Post by Mike Walsh »

ally wrote:I do not like spot, very restrictive for me if I'm batching without being able to use wget.
I'll let you into a few secrets, mate. I may have only been a Puppian for about 3 1/2 years, but I've been a Chrome user from day one. I downloaded that very first beta, pre-release evaluation spin of Chrome, in Autumn 2008.....and I've never looked back since.

Chrome has always had what's known as the 'developer mode'. Essentially, it frees the developers from having to run like 'normal' Linux distros do (as a 'user'), and allows them free rein to do what they want with the browser.

For a long time - till quite recently, in fact - that mechanism has been achieved in Linux by allowing the browser to run as root. Because of the unique way in which Pup runs, we've always taken full advantage of that 'loophole'.

Well.....no more, unfortunately.

During the last year, the WebExtensionsAPI (the same one that FireFox is now building the extensions eco-system around) has finally reached maturity. Google have been making no secret of the fact that they fully intended to implement it in Chrome so that the need to allow running as root could finally be done away with.

And that's what's happened at long last.

For the very first time in Pup's 'relationship' with Chrome, we no longer have a choice. We're not running Chrome (or the other Chromium-based browsers) as 'spot' because we want to.....or because we think it's better. (Which it isn't...)

Since Chrome 62, running as 'spot' in Puppy is, (quite literally), the only way to make Chrome run at all now. Big Brother (aka Google) has decided, in his wisdom, that Daddy knows what's best.....and naughty Puppians must finally 'toe the line'. Or else....

If things carry on like this, we shall eventually end up re-writing Puppy, via 'patch' after 'patch' after 'patch', into a carbon copy of every other distro out there.....and Pup will lose it's unique identity.

I'm not looking forward to that day, I tell you..! :shock:

ally

#212 Post by ally »

I fully understand it is a chrome's making apologies if it came across otherwise

Mike Walsh

#213 Post by Mike Walsh »

ally wrote:I fully understand it is a chrome's making apologies if it came across otherwise

Nah, you're all right, mate. I thought it was as good a time as any to clarify the situation as of this moment in time.....seems like Google have been making major changes with every other release these last few months.

Just be patient with us; that's all I ask. Those of us who package the various incarnations of these browsers.....Oscar, peebee, myself, to name but three.....if we didn't share tricks & tips around between us I don't know where we'd be. Even PhilB (with his 'bbe' script for changing ownership permissions), and Iguleder (with 'libpuppygc.so') have indirectly helped out. Not forgetting the 'head honcho' himself, Micko, for pointing me toward the latter last year.

And, last (but by no means least) battleshooter, for his assistance on the self-contained NSS libs'n'stuff, and belham2 with his modifications to the wrapper scripts, and the 'new' method for running as 'spot'. Everybody's pulled together, and helped out.

Anyroad, I'm not gonna find fault with our archivist, now.....am I?? :roll: :lol:

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#214 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, boys'n'girls.

The current stable release of Chrome - 64.0.3282.119 - is now available from the usual location in post #1. Sorry for the slight delay; this has been out for a week, but I haven't had time till this evening.... :oops:

Belham2's wrapper-script and 'run-as-spot' modifications are still running sweetly, as are battleshooter's 'self-contained' NSS/GTK3 libs. No real problems to report, aside from the afore-mentioned possible reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing. I still maintain this could be confined to my own machine, since I haven't had any reports of problems in this area, Please remember, boys & girls.....feedback is important, and helps me to keep producing Chrome for all Puppians.

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2 ... op_24.html

Google's devs/techs keep on coming up with ideas to improve your browsing experience. The new, up-and-coming one is 'lazy loading':-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/g ... y-loading/

.....which apparently, only loads items on the webpage as and when they actually come into view.....this is, of course, supposed to help with page-load times. We'll see!

Any problems, let me know, as always, and we'll see if we can fix them..

Enjoy.

mjmikulcik

#215 Post by mjmikulcik »

Thanks a lot for this.

One note, I found it difficult figuring out how to get the sfs to run because GTK3 wasn't installed and I hadn't symlinked libpcre.so.3 as the following thread suggests. I had to dig through the forum a lot to figure that out, so I recommend putting that somewhere conspicuous.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=165

I've done brief testing and I've found no problems with downloads, but crashes on uploads with error "Glib-gio-error **: setting schema org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser does not contain a key named startup mode" .
Otherwise, good work, thanks.

Edit:
I finally fixed my error by locating the proper org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml file from this url.

https://github.com/GNOME/gtk/blob/maste ... schema.xml

Then I put it in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas and compiled it with glib-compile-schemas in terminal.

That made it work and it uploads okay now. I can't reproduce any upload/download errors on my Slacko64 6.3.2

Edit 2:
I can't get it to open any ntfs formatted partition to upload. I don't know why that is.
Last edited by mjmikulcik on Tue 06 Feb 2018, 17:37, edited 2 times in total.

quirkian2new

reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing

#216 Post by quirkian2new »

"reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing"

Hello Mike,

I can re-produce this crashing upon download/upload. I applied your NSS/GTK3 libs folder and running Waterfox56.0.3 on system without GTK3, the browser just kill itself whenever i try to upload/download files. So I think your NSS/GTK3 libs folder may be the cause of the crashing, but i am not sure as i am not a coder.

Hope this info. provide you some debugging hints.

Thanks again for your effort in packaging these browsers for the puppy community.

Mike Walsh

#217 Post by Mike Walsh »

G'day, kiddiwinks.

The current stable release of Chrome - 65.0.3325.146 - is now available from the usual location in post #1. It was released during the last 36 hours, so we're fairly up-to-date on this one!

https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/2 ... op_24.html

Chrome has now acquired a new directory inside the /google/chrome folder; something called 'MEIPreload' (???) I cannot find any discussion or mention of this anywhere in the Google/Chromium Project eco-sphere at all, but from opening up the 'manifest.json' file that accompanies it, 'twould appear to be something that pre-loads data for 'Media Engagement' (whatever that is).

If anyone else can unearth any info on this thing, let me know, please.

Any problems, drop me a line; we'll see what's what.

Have fun.

OscarTalks

#218 Post by OscarTalks »

Mike Walsh wrote: No real problems to report, aside from the afore-mentioned possible reluctance to download/upload without freezing-up/crashing.
Hello Mike,
This may be happening because GTK3 needs its file chooser.
When you download or upload you get that window asking to browse for location.
The libs alone don't provide this.
Look in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
There should be an .xml file for FileChooser and at least one other for ColorChooser.
If those are present you then have to run the command glib-compile-schemas
This updates the gschemas.compiled cog-wheel file to include all the .xml files present.

But the snag is that users may have other .xml gschemas files already installed and you don't want to "uncompile" those. Also, if you include an updated gschemas.compiled file in an .sfs package it won't appear above an existing one in the layered file system. I believe we don't have the option of a pinstall.sh script either.

I like the idea of standalone all-inclusive packages for convenience and I know that others are offering them. In this case though I am not sure what the best way forward is. Options include instructing the user to install the GTK3 package via PPM and removing it from the Chrome package or at least instructing the user to run glib-compile-schemas after loading the Chrome .sfs package (with the .xml files included).
Oscar in England

Marv

#219 Post by Marv »

OscarTalks wrote: This may be happening because GTK3 needs its file chooser.
When you download or upload you get that window asking to browse for location.
The libs alone don't provide this.
Look in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
There should be an .xml file for FileChooser and at least one other for ColorChooser.
If those are present you then have to run the command glib-compile-schemas
This updates the gschemas.compiled cog-wheel file to include all the .xml files present.

But the snag is that users may have other .xml gschemas files already installed and you don't want to "uncompile" those. Also, if you include an updated gschemas.compiled file in an .sfs package it won't appear above an existing one in the layered file system. I believe we don't have the option of a pinstall.sh script either.

I like the idea of standalone all-inclusive packages for convenience and I know that others are offering them. In this case though I am not sure what the best way forward is. Options include instructing the user to install the GTK3 package via PPM and removing it from the Chrome package or at least instructing the user to run glib-compile-schemas after loading the Chrome .sfs package (with the .xml files included).
A slight bit of an aside, still chromium related, but this hint fixed the problems I had with Slimjet version 18.0.1.0 running from SFS in LxPupSc64 18.03 crashing/exiting on any attempt to save-to etc. I ran

Code: Select all

glib-compile-schemas  /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
after the SFS was loaded.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#220 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Mm. As usual, you've hit the nail on the head there. I'd suspected the 'glib-schemas' a while ago, but I've had so much on my plate here at home one way or another since Xmas that I really haven't had time to investigate.

I've tried this myself, and downloading now works nicely. Only snag now is I've currently got that old problem rearing its head; text not displaying properly in the 'Save' dialogue, and loads of those little wee boxes in their place.....

(Grrr..!!)

I think I'll repack with the schemas .xml files, and add instructions to run that line of code. peebee's got it included in with his wrapper-script, but I cannot get it to work with the bastardized wrapper-script we're having to use in Chrome nowadays. I greatly appreciate battleshooter's and belham2's input on this, don't get me wrong.....but the darn thing is hardly recognisable as the relatively simple script that you and I remember it as being..... :roll:

All in the name of 'progress'! Such is life.... (*sigh*)

---------------------------

@Marv:-

Thanks for confirming the routine works for you as well. It doesn't matter a hoot which Chromium-based browser you're using; it should work for all of 'em, since they all use the same code-base.

Cheers.