Hiw to fix the eth0 interface in Xenial?

willithepuppy

Hiw to fix the eth0 interface in Xenial?

#1 Post by willithepuppy »

Xenial runs exclusively on my laptop. I would like to abbreviate the search for the interface. It is always the same, so a search for it is not necessary.
Sadly, the scripting language of Puppy is beyond my knowledge, even if I can understand some things, but not the important things.
Is there perhaps a way to modify the frisbee script? so that only this interface is used.
WLAN I have switched off anyway, because my Laptop-battery has given up a long time ago and I use anyway only to the cable connection.

I expect that the internet connection will be available immediately and I do not have to wait 20 to 30s for the connection.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hi Willi, go with the 4.5 package here.

It's going to ask you to make itself your default network manager when you install. Okay it and reboot, then reconfigure your network.
"Please click the Help button. It has important information about your PeasyWiFi configuration file."
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

frisbee is really more for wireless connections.

Xenialpup 7.5
I use the Network Wizard to setup wired connection.

After the initial setup it does what you want.

On next boot up it is just connected.

In fact, I am kind of surprised it did not setup automatically on first boot up.
I do not have any access code needed to connect, so no real setup needed other than choosing eth0 as the connection to use.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jrb

#4 Post by jrb »

Semme wrote:Hi Willi, go with the 4.5 package here.

It's going to ask you to make itself your default network manager when you install. Okay it and reboot, then reconfigure your network.
"Please click the Help button. It has important information about your PeasyWiFi configuration file."
+1

I've been using PeasyWifi on everything for the last couple of weeks. On my desktop box with ethernet Xenial takes from the time the mouse cursor shows up (before everything else) to connection is 3 seconds. All my puppies come in between 3 and 6 seconds. Wireless is a bit slower, but still much faster than the other network managers.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I agree with bigpup. Every version of Puppy I've tried in the last many years has automatically found and configured my Ethernet connection. All I have to do after booting for the first time is click on the Browse icon on the desktop to open SeaMonkey already connected to the Internet.

8Geee

#6 Post by 8Geee »

Ethernet only?

SNS is about as simple as it gets. Other choice is Dougal's Network Wizard, a few more clicks.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

willithepuppy

#7 Post by willithepuppy »

Many thanks for your replies. I've now setting nls as the default network manager. I will test the connection which is faster.
Last edited by willithepuppy on Mon 12 Mar 2018, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

willithepuppy

#8 Post by willithepuppy »

Maybe I did not explain exactly what I wanted.
I hadn't problem connecting to the network. I just wanted the connection as soon as possible.
And here sns is just faster than Frisbee. I just tested it.
Nevertheless, many thanks to all. The problem is solved.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

willithepuppy wrote:The problem is solved.
How?

willithepuppy

#10 Post by willithepuppy »

I'm using now sns istead of Frisbee. That's connnect faster.

8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

The question that was really presented was that since the battery was crapped out, all s/he could connect to was eth0.

Frisbee is slow, DNW is faster, and SNS is fastest in terms of making an eth0 connection. The answer is SNS, not tweak this or load that.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

8Geeee is speaking in acronyms, may God help us...

Did he mean the "Department of National Weather" and "Still No-go, Silly" ???!!! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)