XenialDog 64bit (Ubuntu 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 64-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

#361 Post by wiak »

Thanks Fred, that fixed the install mpv issue. However, that newer mpv didn't improve the webcam view lag issue. Also would no longer accept command "mpv tv://", which the previous mpv did (I needed to use: "mpv av://v4l2:/dev/video0 " but still had the big lag viewing problem).

Anway, no big deal, I will just use the original mplayer in XenialDog64 for webcam viewing with "mplayer tv://" command and not worry about mpv not being so good for that. mpv great for anything else I've used it for though.

wiak

fredx181

#362 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:Thanks Fred, that fixed the install mpv issue. However, that newer mpv didn't improve the webcam view lag issue. Also would no longer accept command "mpv tv://", which the previous mpv did (I needed to use: "mpv av://v4l2:/dev/video0 " but still had the big lag viewing problem).
That's a pity.
Another thing: For me after install newer mpv, it has no Menu entry in the Openbox menu (should be in Multimedia, LX menu however shows it), that happens sometimes, don't know why.
A workaround is to remove the obmenu-generator cache:

Code: Select all

rm -f ~/.config/obmenu-generator/cache.db
After that, for me "mpv Media Player" shows in Multimedia (a window for to drag and drop multi-media files on).

Fred

wiak

#363 Post by wiak »

I have Signal (open-source end-to-end encrypted Skype alternative) running on my XenialDog 64bit system, as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 410#984410

wiak

wiak

#364 Post by wiak »

Recently obtained a google chromecast dongle which I now have plugged in to my old dumb lcd tv. Main interest for me (aside from youtube streaming to it) is streaming of local media files. Discovered that newish google chrome can arrange that without needing any extra extensions but resource usage a bit high. So I installed 'castnow' command line program which works great and uses low resources as described here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 356#985356

EDIT: As added to above link contents, Stream2Chromecast commandline program may be even better (especially since more recently maintained).

Google chromecast seems pretty useful actually (especially since my old computers have no HDMI ports for plugging into the tv directly)

wiak

wiak

#365 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

I've been trying to compile the component libraries for Lua IUP graphical toolkit (for example CanvasDraw) to use GTK2 instead of GTK3 but having a lot of issues getting compilation without errors. Tonight I discovered there was a problem with devx on XenialDog64 mucking up some symlinks to some very relevant libs. I have a remastered main 01-filesystem.squashfs so not sure if I've simply (quite possibly...) accidentally added something to that which is not compatible with the devx for XenialDog64.

In particular, once I activate the devx squashfs, I find the following important symlinks are broken (compiling works once I fix these symlinks). They are pointing to the wrong (older) ...so.0.4800.1 rather than ...so.0.4800.2 target on my system:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmodule-2.0.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgthread-2.0.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgio-2.0.so
No problem for me now since I will just remaster again with the new symlinks but I thought I'd tell you about this in case this fault is actually in the pristine XenialDog64. I would try it, but my machine is out of space so difficult to change anything at the moment.

If you have time, therefore, could you please check that these symlinks are there and working okay when devx is loaded with pristine XenialDog64 (latest release). Otherwise others will also run into major issues trying to compile heavy gtk-dev-using applications. As I said, it (hopefully) might just be my remastered system causing the issue though.

wiak

fredx181

#366 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak, the symlinks are there (intact) with devx loaded on a pristine Xenialdog64, indeed pointing to ....4800.1.
Of course if the devx was updated once in a while, the problem you got wouldn't happen, but to avoid such a situation, I'd recommend the "Safe mode" option of loading a module (then newer files from the (possibly updated) system will not be overwritten by older files included in the module).

Fred

wiak

#367 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi wiak, the symlinks are there (intact) with devx loaded on a pristine Xenialdog64, indeed pointing to ....4800.1.
Of course if the devx was updated once in a while, the problem you got wouldn't happen, but to avoid such a situation, I'd recommend the "Safe mode" option of loading a module (then newer files from the (possibly updated) system will not be overwritten by older files included in the module).

Fred
Thanks, Fred, that's good to hear.

At some stage I will have added compile support to my changes folder by apt-get and then removed most of it, but accidentally left some newer stuff behind (the ...4800.2 stuff). More important that the pristine is fine. Longer term I'll either go back to that and make sure to only use the devx for compiling or I'll simply not use the devx and remaster with new build stuff apt-get installed to my changes folder. But, yes, in the meantime, the 'Safe' module load is good idea.

Cheers, wiak

wiak

#368 Post by wiak »

... sorry somehow got a triple post...
Last edited by wiak on Thu 29 Mar 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#369 Post by wiak »

sorry, somehow got a triple post...

fredx181

#370 Post by fredx181 »

*** BionicDog64 Beta ***, see here for info and download:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 521#987521

Fred

wiak

#371 Post by wiak »

Ah good. BionicDog64 is exactly what I'm wanting for my next 'main' system.

Will test sometime, once I'm not so busy with Lua/iup package preparation.

wiak

mikeslr

BionicDog64 Beta -- Nice

#372 Post by mikeslr »

Hi fred,

BionicDog64 Beta is working well on my desktop, an Dell OptiPlex 790, and my laptop, an Latitude 6400.

I've just begun to explore its possibilities. I was pleased to find that several AppImages worked OOTB. Among those which functioned was the new Openshot 2.4.1. Others should work once I've installed qt-libs. I was also able to convert the Apache OpenOffice 4.15 SFS.

Being in a hurry to get up and running, and recalling that I previously had a problem with the built in wifi manager [don't recall if it was only a learning curve or that it also had a problem with WEP] I took a chance and installed the frisbee you built for debiandog64, frisbee_1.2.2017928dd64. As it worked, I haven't checked to see if there's a later version.

Thanks for the hard work you've put into this.

mikesLr

wiak

IUP deb packages for use with small Lua interpreter

#373 Post by wiak »

IUPLUA programming graphical toolkit programming environment deb files. This first release (GTK2 compilation) is for Ubuntu Xenial 64-bit system (such as XenialDog64). Whether it would work on any other recent 64-bit Linux system I do not know. I intend to compile 32-bit versions later and hopefully also produce some dotpets. Links to simple example GUI code is provided in second post of thread.

Find the small google-drive download in the IUPLUA packages thread here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113082

wiak

fredx181

#374 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike, thanks for testing !
Being in a hurry to get up and running, and recalling that I previously had a problem with the built in wifi manager [don't recall if it was only a learning curve or that it also had a problem with WEP] I took a chance and installed the frisbee you built for debiandog64, frisbee_1.2.2017928dd64.

I remember that, but the problem you had in Xenialdog64 with WEP was with the included "wifi-box", this Bionicdog has peasywifi as default network-manager.

Hi wiak,
IUPLUA programming graphical toolkit programming environment deb files. This first release (GTK2 compilation) is for Ubuntu Xenial 64-bit system (such as XenialDog64). Whether it would work on any other recent 64-bit Linux system I do not know. I intend to compile 32-bit versions later and hopefully also produce some dotpets. Links to simple example GUI code is provided in second post of thread.

Find the small google-drive download in the IUPLUA packages thread here:
Thanks ! I added it to Xenialdog64 repo.
Install iuplua-core-xenialdog64-gtk2 with Synaptic or apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install iuplua-core-xenialdog64-gtk2
Can't wait for the first program you produce with iuplua (a simple program will be OK to start with :wink:)

Fred

wiak

#375 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:
Thanks ! I added it to Xenialdog64 repo.
Install iuplua-core-xenialdog64-gtk2 with Synaptic or apt-get:

apt-get update
apt-get install iuplua-core-xenialdog64-gtk2
Can't wait for the first program you produce with iuplua (a simple program will be OK to start with :wink:)

Fred
Remember, you need to also apt-get install lua5.3. I didn't add it as a dependency because there are other versions of lua out there (such as that from tecgraf iup site) which some may prefer to use.

Just try the provided examples, Fred!

lua5.3 <example_filename.lua>
Okay, so I will write a complete relevant Puppy/Dog utility app as an exemplar sometime... or for that example-type purpose just re-write an existing bash/gtkdialog app to use iuplua instead... I will also have to learn some Lua first (despite the GUI part being very easy to understand).
fredx181 wrote:I remember that, but the problem you had in Xenialdog64 with WEP was with the included "wifi-box", this Bionicdog has peasywifi as default network-manager.
Thank goodness for that! Frisbee in old XenialDog64 (it wasn't wifi-box by default) is very flaky on my computer - I also replaced it with PeasyWifi, which works flawlessly for me.

wiak

wiak

#376 Post by wiak »

Should probably point out that there is a second (optional) iuplua-controls deb provided (third post down of my IUP packages thread) which is usefully required for more complex GUI programming (matrixes and so on). More IUPLUA modules will be added later (for the likes of plotting graphs and so on).

wiak

fredx181

#377 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:Just try the provided examples, Fred!

Code:
Ok, you convinced me, I probably will do at some time, I'm hesitating to learn something new because I'm already spending way too much time at the computer (yes, addiction :().

Fred

mikeslr

BionicDog64 Beta about Wifi (with WEP?)

#378 Post by mikeslr »

Hi fred,

Of course, you were right. I was able to use the included peasywifi. Not too bad. A little learning curve and its "Help" module was easy to follow. Once I clicked the WEP button It recognized my home network and offered to create a profile if I input the password. But after two failed attempts "the easy way", I used it's 'make profile' --sorry not on BionicDog right now, so that name may be slightly off-- module to create one. That was successful.

Not hard. Just different.

mikesLr

wiak

#379 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:
wiak wrote:Just try the provided examples, Fred!

Code:
Ok, you convinced me, I probably will do at some time, I'm hesitating to learn something new because I'm already spending way too much time at the computer (yes, addiction :().

Fred
In that case, I'll quickly install your new BionicDog64 a quicker-than-I-intended spin. I'll try iuplua for XenialDog on that, but since the compile process is fresh in my mind I'll look towards compiling a specific version for Bionic.

wiak

mikeslr

Add ldd to Right-Click Menu? BionicDog

#380 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred,

I've been exploring BionicDog some more. Has pretty much everything I could ask for in an OS.

While exploring what may be needed to run the "external programs" I already have on my computer I make extensive use of ldd. Its nice that I can "open terminal here" and just type "ldd complete_name_of_binary". But it would be nicer if I could just right-click the binary and select ldd.

FWIW, I've set the desktop to use lxpanel.

If anyone's interested, here's a list of libs missing from three of the applications I often use:

libQtGui.so.4 Cool-Reader
libQtCore.so.4 Cool-Reader

libQt5PrintSupport.so.5 FoxitReader
libQt5Widgets.so.5 FoxitReader
libQt5Xml.so.5 FoxitReader
libQt5Network.so.5 FoxitReader
libQt5Gui.so.5 FoxitReader
libQt5Core.so.5 FoxitReader

libsane.so.1 Masterpdfeditor4
libQtSvg.so.4 Masterpdfeditor4
libQtGui.so.4 Masterpdfeditor4
libQtNetwork.so.4 Masterpdfeditor4
libQtCore.so.4 Masterpdfeditor4

simpleScreenRecorder.AppImage PulseAudio --optional, can use alsa

Without having looked yet, I'd guess that Qt5 libs are probably in BionicDog's repo. Qt4's? Maybe pkgs.org or convert a xenialpup64 pet?

mikesLr