Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Jun 2018, 22:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
xenial puppy dual boot with ubuntu on macbook not working
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
stowpirate

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 12:41    Post subject:  xenial puppy dual boot with ubuntu on macbook not working  

After epic struggle with grub2 on macbook finally working with a frugel tahr puppy and 14.04 LTS Lubuntu. However when I try with xenial version it fails and drops out. Is there a retro version of xenial iso available? Or a simple qtel install option in tahr? Macbook intel versions might look cool but are a real pain to replace existing useless OS with something that actually works....
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2018, 17:37    Post subject:  

Hi stowpirate,

Read Afterthoughts first.

You might try musher0's xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits with kernel 4.1 which is based on the last version of xenialpup before xenialpup 7.5. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=971619#971619. You'll also find xenial-7.0.6.iso and several older or derivative versions here: https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_xenialpup

If none are acceptable, you might try my recently updated version of Tahrpup. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=982810#982810. [Also see the discussion on this short thread regarding any missing drivers]. My experience is that rarely is there an application which run under xenialpup that there isn't a version for Tahrpup; sometimes older, but sometimes the same.

The fact is that under Puppies, the only applications which require updating are those having to do with security and web-browsers; the latter in part because of security updates and in part the need to keep up with richer graphic being published by some websites.

Even if Ubuntu has shut down the repos for Trusty Tahr, and AFAIK it hasn't, Puppy Devs continue to publish up-to-date firefox and google-chrome web-browsers and their clones. Those which run under Xenialpup also run under Tahrpup. Look in the Browser Section of the Additional Software Forum.

AFAIK the only "security fixes" not included in musher0's xenialpup and my remaster of tahrpup are those relating to meltdown and spectres. While the need for those fixes is theoretical, see discussion starting here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=985169#985169, if its a pressing concern to you you may want to try peebee's artfulpup, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=970043#970043 and apply the delta, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=984117#984117. If for some reason it doesn't run on your computer, save the vmlinuz, fdrv.sfs and zdrv.sfs files created by applying the delta. By renaming the latter two -- e.g. zdrz_xenial_7.0.8.6.sfs-- and substituting the three for the files which came in the xenialpup or tahrpup ISO you've performed a "Kernal update" and would be using kernels fixed against meltdown and spectres. [Most Devs package both drivers (which are kernel specific) and firmware (which is not) in zdrv.sfs. But as the same firmware can be used in any Puppy, peebee packages them separately]. Xenialpup and Tahrpup will use them whether or not packaged separately.

mikesLr

Afterthoughts: Just as it is possible to "up-grade" a Kernel; it is also possible to "down-grade" it. This will create the "retro-version" you asked for. Just take the vmlinuz and zdrv_tahr_6.0.x.sfs from Tahrpup, rename the latter to zdrv_xenial_7.5.sfs and use them to replace the vmlinuz and zdrv_xenial_7.5.sfs which came in the xenialpup ISO.

But I have to wonder why Xenialpup, as is, didn't boot to desktop. What did the terminal report before it failed? Best "shot in the dark" is Xenialpup doesn't have the graphic drivers and firmware needed by your computer. What does Tahrpup say about them? Menu>System>Pup-SysInfo; then Base Report or Devices>Display.

As indicated above, it's really not necessary to up-grade from Tahrpup. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why exactly are you trying to?
stowpirate

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2018, 03:10    Post subject:  

Thank you for the link. Do you know if you can have multiple entries on grub 2 for other versions of puppy linux. Custom code so far:

menuentry 'puppy' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-1f230e38-b2f2-4d73-816b-09b7cc8ec67e' {
recordfail
load_video
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
insmod part_gpt
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,gpt2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2 1f230e38-b2f2-4d73-816b-09b7cc8ec67e
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 1f230e38-b2f2-4d73-816b-09b7cc8ec67e
fi
linux /puppy/vmlinuz
initrd /puppy/initrd.gz
}

I am confused by the gpt2 exact meaning?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2018, 11:48    Post subject:  

Hi stowpirate,

I've only had to use Grub2 on one occasion. I had installed Manjaro on a Thinkpad T42. Grub4dos didn't recognize Manjaro. AFAIR, Manjaro is one of two distros grub4dos didn't recognize; Arch, itself, being the other? So I am by-no-way a grub2 expert; and as I've admitted often on this Forum, I'm blessed with a flaky memory. [My vivid recollection was that grub2 was a PITA to be avoided whenever possible. And I didn't have either a mac, or a computer using gpt structured hard-drives*].

That said, the Thinkpad had several Frugal versions of Puppy and I was able to add all of them to grub2. The key has to do with the last two lines of the config file you posted:

"linux /puppy/vmlinuz
initrd /puppy/initrd.gz"

Frugal Puppies can run from a folder: all their system files located in such folder. Each folder has to have a UNIQUE name and each Puppy requires its own menu listing which references that UNIQUE name. So after the introductory lines* on each menu listing you could have, for example:

"linux /tarhpup1/vmlinuz
initrd /tahrpup1/initrd.gz"

NEXT menu listing:

"linux /xenialpup/vmlinuz
initrd /xenialpup/initrd.gz"

NEXT menu listing:

"linux /xenialpup2/vmlinuz
initrd /xenialpup2/initrd.gz"

AFAIK, the Title on each listing is just that, a Title. It's for your benefit --appears on the screen-- and isn't used by grub2 as an argument effecting the booting of that listing. So you can put anything in the title which would help you distinguish one Puppy version from another. For example, the Title for the listing of the frugal in the xenialpup folder could be

menuentry 'Xenialpup Out of the Box' {

while the title for the frugal in the xenialpup2 could be

menuentry 'Xenialpup using Tahrpup Kernel' {

*Other than the title for each listing, and the linux and initrd lines, I don't know how much of your current listing is actually necessary. AFAIR, the primary purpose of the "introductory lines" is to identify on which drive and partition the operating system is located, e.g., your line:

set root='hd0,gpt2'

I suspect that the next two lines in your listing come into play if the above line fails. But, remember, I don't know anything about gpt or macs.

On my Thinkpad, necessary or helpful arguments could added to the "linux" line and it could use on that line any argument which under grub4dos would appear on the "kernel" line. For example, using grub4dos the second xenialpup listing could have:

kernel /xenialpup2/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=xenialpup2 pfix=fsck

and when using grub2 it would read:

linux /xenialpup2/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=xenialpup2 pfix=fsck

pmedia=ataflash is an argument which tricks grub4dos/grub2 into treating the OS as if it were run from a USB-Stick. Doing so, enables you to turn off the automatic Save --so junk doesn't get into your SaveFile/Folder. A Save Icon will appear on your desktop. But to remove the automatic Save, you'll also have to open Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager, click the Save Session Tab, change interval to 0 (zero), optionally check "Ask at Shutdown". And remember to Save. Smile

psubdir=xenialpup2 tells grub4dos/grub2 to first look for the SaveFile/Folder within the xenialpup2 folder. [Speeds up booting. If not found there, it will search all top and 1st level folders].

pfix=fsck says check partition for errors. I'm not sure it can be used with gpt

pfix=ram says don't use the SaveFile/Folder. Can be combined with fsck using a ";" -- pfix=fsck;ram.

Grub4dos automatically creates an Advanced menu (last listing on "main" menu). After selecting Advanced menu there's a listing which enables you to boot Puppy so that it won't load the SaveFile/Folder. That listing employs the "kernel .... pfix=ram" argument. As grub2 doesn't, if you decide not to have more than one Puppy, I recommend that your grub2 config file have a second listing which does employ the pfix=ram argument. All Puppy's system files are READ-ONLY, with the exception of the SAVEFILE/FOLDER. Only it can get screwed up. So its helpful to be able to boot into a pristine Puppy and create a new SaveFile/Folder or, if possible, repair the problem SaveFile/Folder.

mikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 14 Mar 2018, 12:11    Post subject: Examples of grub2  

Hi stowpirate,

peterw's post provides an example of using grub2 to boot several Puppies. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=985363#985363.

mikesLr
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: