Tixati 2.57-1 BitTorrent client

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

Tixati 2.57-1 BitTorrent client

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Tixati BitTorrent client - v2.56-1

Evening, all.

I know PhilB was providing this, and regularly updating it a few years ago. Well, I'm going to start providing it again, and updating it as & when I get the chance.

I think this may be available through the repositories of the more up-to-date Pups, where the repos are still active. Where this isn't the case, I'm providing both .pet & SFS packages for 32- and 64-bit. (I'm basically practising what I preach - as always - and providing as much choice as possible..!)

This is based on the portable version, which means that normally it will store its configuration files in the same folder as the binary. Because I've assembled it as a normal package, configuration stuff will be found at /root/.tixati instead.

Transmission is a very good BitTorrent client, and I use it quite a bit myself. However, I came across mention of this on MakeUseOf.com this evening, and recognised it as one that Pup has used in the past. So I investigated, and found that the portable is an all-in-one binary as provided. In fact, the archive as supplied contains 32- and 64-bit binaries for Windoze, Mac and Linux; it's intended to be extracted to a flash drive, which you can move between machines, irrespective of platform & architecture.

All I've done is used the Linux binaries, and put together .pet and SFS packages for both architectures, including a MenuEntry for those who don't want a desktop icon. Regulars will know to drag'n'drop from /usr/share/applications if they do.

It's got a lot of options (enough to suit even ubergeeks, actually), but still pretty lightweight.....which suits Pup's nature. Anyone who'd like to give this a try, you can find the packages at my MediaFire a/c, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/15pv55t ... ent_client

These were built in, and in fact is currently running in, Precise 5.7.1.....so ought to work in any Pup with a glibc >= 2.15. I'll be trying it in some older Pups as well, to see what happens.

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 17 Mar 2018, 22:18, edited 7 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

One nifty feature I've just discovered. Where you're running this in more than one Pup, because the configuration stuff is all totally self-contained in /root/.tixati, you can move this file to a remote location ( a data partition, or something like that), then sym-link it back into /root for each Pup you run this in.

I've just re-booted into Slacko 570, and I'm halfway through downloading something. I've installed Tixati, and before firing it up for the first time, I've sym-linked the remote /.tixati folder into /root. Because I've done this, I've re-started Tixati, and it's carried on downloading as though nothing's changed. Which is pretty neat.

It also allows you to suspend, in amongst the multitude of options.....something Transmission doesn't like you doing.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just a quick 'update' for y'all.

As well as running perfectly in the majority of 'standard' 5- and 6-series Pups, Tixati also seems to run fine in both Racy 5.5, and also Lucid 5.2.8.7.

The only reason I refer to these as 'non-standard' is because both use a pretty old glibc.....indicating that Tixati must have been compiled against such a version.

Another piece of software for users of these two..!

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

Tixati 2.57-1 has now been released. New packages available from my MediaFire link in post # 1.

Enjoy.