How to stop touchpad "coasting"? (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
number77

How to stop touchpad "coasting"? (Solved)

#1 Post by number77 »

Hello
I have xenialpup64 7.5 frugal on dell vostro 1320, 2.2ghz, 2gb ram and would like to stop the touchpad from scrolling. It seems to act like a scroll wheel on a mouse, but rather erratically so I would like to stop it and only scroll with the left hand mouse key pressed. Is there any way.
Any ideas please.
Thanks
number77
Last edited by number77 on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 17:52, edited 3 times in total.

matchpoint

#2 Post by matchpoint »

You mean "coasting." Either here or you may need a more elaborate adjustment as suggested by Arch.

number77

#3 Post by number77 »

matchpoint wrote:You mean "coasting." Either here or you may need a more elaborate adjustment as suggested by Arch.
Exactly that matchpoint, which solution is suitable for puppy as I find it a real pain.

matchpoint

#4 Post by matchpoint »

Try the first: xinput list tells us what?

number77

#5 Post by number77 »

matchpoint wrote:Try the first: xinput list tells us what?
xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Synaptics Mouse id=6 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Mouse0 id=7 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Keyboard0 id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I think it can be adjusted or turned off in Menu -> Desktop -> Flsynclient configure your touchpad (but I'm in Slacko)
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 264 times

number77

#7 Post by number77 »

The Flsynclient in xenialpup is slightly different. What slacko are you using as I may try that as I realy do not get on with coasting at all.

matchpoint

#8 Post by matchpoint »

Slightly different, but the same. Does it work if you drop the coasting speed and save?

If your touchpad still coasts after restarting your X-server, I'll post a one-liner you can try.

number77

#9 Post by number77 »

matchpoint wrote:Slightly different, but the same. Does it work if you drop the coasting speed and save?

If your touchpad still coasts after restarting your X-server, I'll post a one-liner you can try.
I downloaded slacko64 6.3.2 and ran it live and Flsynclient was the same as mine on xenialpup64 7.5. No mention of coasting anywhere. What version of slacko are you using?

matchpoint

#10 Post by matchpoint »

Uh, you opened the "Scrolling" tab, right? If Xenial's your first choice, stay with it.

matchpoint

#11 Post by matchpoint »

No reply?

number77

#12 Post by number77 »

matchpoint wrote:No reply?
Sorry matchpoint I didn't think a reply was needed, my fault.

You did have the answer for me with a little bit of digging I almost have it sussed. Flsynclient has changed. I also have tahr 605 on another partition and in it flsynclient gives exactly the options in your screen shot and I could disable vertical edge scrolling. Reboot and my touchpad is back to normal.
So thank you for that.
Slight problem remains, can I modify or install the older flsynclient in xenialpup64 7.5. Its 64 bit and tahr605 is 32. I may have to go back to tahr605 but its quite a bit older than xenial64.
matchpoint if I get no further thanks alot

matchpoint

#13 Post by matchpoint »

If you're on Xenial from the other day, copy and paste:

Code: Select all

xinput --set-prop --type=float "6" "Synaptics Coasting Speed" 0 0
This either works straight-up or we need an adjustment.

Whichever it is, let me know with a reply.

Marv

#14 Post by Marv »

In all pups (so far as I know) /root/.flsynclient carries the parameters for the touchpad. It is a simple text file and can be edited directly. I often do that when I want to modify parameters not available in the GUI setters. the command "flsynclient -s" run in a terminal will quickly invoke the changes so you can see if that is what you want. Search for Coasting in that file... In some pups it doesn't exist until the GUI setup is run once and saved. Some come with a preconfigured .flsynclient to set or disable tap-to-click etc.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

number77

#15 Post by number77 »

matchpoint wrote:If you're on Xenial from the other day, copy and paste:

Code: Select all

xinput --set-prop --type=float "6" "Synaptics Coasting Speed" 0 0
This either works straight-up or we need an adjustment.

Whichever it is, let me know with a reply.
After all I dont think its scrolling that is the problem as disabling RH edge scrolling in the gui on tahr605 works perfectly.
On xenialpup synclient has a line: VertEdgeScroll =1
How would I disable that in xenialpup,.

mostly_lurking

#16 Post by mostly_lurking »

number77 wrote:Flsynclient has changed. I also have tahr 605 on another partition and in it flsynclient gives exactly the options in your screen shot and I could disable vertical edge scrolling.
Judging from what's in the repositories, the 64bit Puppies all seem to be using Flsynclient version 0.7, while the 32bit ones have version 0.6 available, too. I found an 0.6 version for Quirky April and installed it on Xenial64 7.5 (here is another one), and the program did at least start up - and looked different from Xenial's original one. Since I have no touchpad, I couldn't actually test if it worked, and it wouldn't even let me look at any tabs except the first one so I couldn't check if the options you are looking for are there.

Marv

#17 Post by Marv »

number77 wrote:After all I dont think its scrolling that is the problem as disabling RH edge scrolling in the gui on tahr605 works perfectly.
On xenialpup synclient has a line: VertEdgeScroll =1
How would I disable that in xenialpup,.
If you are seeing that 'line', you are probably looking at /root/.flsynclient, or should be... Change it to VertEdgeScroll =0 and save the file. On running flsynclient -s or restarting the change should show up. .flsynclient is a hidden file so you have to allow your FM of choice to show those of course.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

number77

#18 Post by number77 »

That did it Marv, I changed it to VerticalEdgeScroll =0 after a reboot it was fine, the problem gone.
Thanks a lot for the patient good natured help, Sailor Enceladus, matchpoint, Marv and mostly_lurking it means my puppy is once more the perfect os.
All the best
number77