EasyOS version 2.3.2, June 22, 2020

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#501 Post by Sage »

0.8.1: seems to work well on most AMD/Intel single/multi-core machines, but:-

very, very slow as it sets up it's first boot

can be a real pig to find viable driver and resolution on fb

Neither of those features is show stopping, but why not boot to something very simple which is immediately visible to all and allow user to modify once running? Isn't that what other distros do?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#502 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:0.8.1: seems to work well on most AMD/Intel single/multi-core machines, but:-

very, very slow as it sets up it's first boot

can be a real pig to find viable driver and resolution on fb

Neither of those features is show stopping, but why not boot to something very simple which is immediately visible to all and allow user to modify once running? Isn't that what other distros do?
It will be "very very slow" if you are using a slow usb drive. If you used 'easydd' to write the image file to the usb drive, it reports write-speed, and advises that if less than 7MB/s then it is an awful drive.

The Innostor drive, that I purchased from BigW, 16GB, very cheap, easydd reported 21MB/s.

Why is there a problem finding viable driver and resolution? I presume it is Intel video?

QuickSetup will run, and it should show that Easy has chosen the 'intel' xorg driver, and will offer alternative resolutions (and frequencies) in a drop-down list. If the default resolution is not satisfactory, just choose one of the alternatives.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#503 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:OT (and the real reason for the post) your caravan is similar to one made in Vic. The main differance is the top half folds down in two giving a slightly humped top when down, and the middle bit of the roof-top is an inbuilt solar panel as it's basically for off-grid travel (12v everywhere). Not a pop-top either, everything's solid when up or down. I'll ask them when they get back from Darwin (after ANZAC day) for a report and details and put it up somewhere.
Do you mean the Avan camper?

http://www.avan.com.au/our-range/camper ... portliner/

I think they are based in NSW, with dealers all over Aus.

Their smallest A-frame is the Sportliner, weighs 710kg. None of them have an ensuite.

The main thing that attracted me to the Euro Glider is the extreme light weight, just 560kg, or 615kg with ensuite.

A 1.4 litre Hyundai Getz can legally tow 700kg, though I don't think it would be much fun going up hills.

Sage

#504 Post by Sage »

using a slow usb driv
written to an Integral 32Gb using USB Image Writer - was completed extremely quickly. It was the First boot that was exceptionally slow as it manipulated the necessary files & co.
Why is there a problem finding viable driver and resolution? I presume it is Intel video?
Normally try to avoid Intel anything, but in this case it was as tedious selecting working drivers and resolutions from xorgwizard for Rad/nV and Intel cards. Why not default to the l.c.d., which is what practically every other distro adopts? First things first - get a picture. In crt days 640x480 was a good start, perhaps 1024x768 is the bog std. for led monitors now? Not sure how other developers select a basic driver, vesa/vga/w.h.y. but they mostly do. Starting with high performance defaults just frightens off the horses!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#505 Post by BarryK »

Sage wrote:
Normally try to avoid Intel anything, but in this case it was as tedious selecting working drivers and resolutions from xorgwizard for Rad/nV and Intel cards. Why not default to the l.c.d., which is what practically every other distro adopts? First things first - get a picture. In crt days 640x480 was a good start, perhaps 1024x768 is the bog std. for led monitors now? Not sure how other developers select a basic driver, vesa/vga/w.h.y. but they mostly do. Starting with high performance defaults just frightens off the horses!
Are you using an LCD screen? If so, there should not be any problem.

Easy and Quirky just use whatever Xorg automatically chooses, as do other distros.

If you don't like the choice, select from the dropdown list in QuickSetup.

There should not be any need to go to xorgwizard.

If you have a high-resolution monitor, Xorg may choose it's native resolution and highest frequency. If that is not suitable, choose from the dropdown list -- is the dropdown list not offering you anything suitable? -- it should be.

Note, you can re-run QuickSetup anytime, via the 'Setup' menu.

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018

#506 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running my 0.8.1 install, I moved my ethernet cable to another pc
and it's a pain re-routing it back to the hp mini so I've set up
wireless with frisbee.
The builtin wireless adapter isn't supported but a usb adapter that I
have is:

System: Host: EASYPC14557 Kernel: 4.14.23 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: JWM 2.4.0 Distro: Quirky 0.8.1 pyro64
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: 200-009 serial: 3CR51504YY
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 2B38 v: 1.02 serial: 138922010004188
UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: 80.03 date: 12/15/2014
CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron 2957U (-MCP-) speed/max: 813/1400 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile version: 4.5 Mesa 17.0.2
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n
Card-3: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 64.0GB (4.4% used)
Info: Processes: 110 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 96.3/1854.6MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

Is there any way of getting support for the builtin Broadcom Limited
BCM43142 802.11b/g/n adapter so I can get back the use of a precious usb-3.0 port?

Thanks.

Sage

#507 Post by Sage »

Are you using an LCD screen?
Yes! - all such this last decade.
Aware of the usual adjustments you kindly suggest. Try them all as seems appropriate, but this one is different, not a bit like Quirky which behaves normally.
As indicated, always end up with video, but doubt the average neophyte would bother.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#508 Post by BarryK »

gcmartin has sent me an email, reporting that youtube-dl does not work.

This is a python script, and there is a simple GUI for it in the 'Internet' menu.

It works when the 'devx' sfs is loaded. Without devx, there is a cutdown python 2.7.x, named 'python-tiny', obviously too cut-down.

I have downloaded the latest 'youtube-dl', dated 2018-03-14.

Have adjusted the 'python-tiny' template in woofQ, so now it has all the modules required to run youtube-dl.

Which, it turns out, is a lot of modules, so 'python-tiny' is not so tiny anymore.

don570

#509 Post by don570 »

EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated

I find the default intel driver still unstable with my 945G chip
Once it froze and second time the windows wouldn't form properly.

So I am trying uxa INTEL driver instead. So far it is stable but I've only
been using the computer a couple of hours.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-uxa.confDISABLED

...rename it without that "DISABLED" and restart X.

Cu Chulinux

#510 Post by Cu Chulinux »

I've been running Quirky Xenial 8.5 with Intel uxa mode enabled. It is very solid. Unfortunately not so with EasyOS, Even with 0.8.1 updated driver it freezes with both uxa and sna.

Next I am going to compare differences (if any) in setups between the various puppies and Easy. I do know that Xenialpup uses an older version of the Intel driver and Fatdog64 uses a newer version (at least newer than 0.8.0 was). I don't yet know what options they set.

Is it possible there is a timing issue in startup? Maybe the system is looking for a file not available yet? I set a custom background by creating a symbolic link to a file in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory. The actual file is in the /home/media/images directory. On reboot the system did not use the linked image but reverted to default background. The link existed, just was not yet connected to file when background was set.

Edit: note the above was with Easy 0.8.0 I haven't successfully run 0.8.1 for longer than a few minutes yet. I also retried Quirky Pyro64 and it froze when I opened the. main menu. I seem to have better luck with them when I boot up and let sit doing nothing for about 10 minutes. It's like I have to ease slowly into using them.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#511 Post by BarryK »

Cu Chulinux wrote:I've been running Quirky Xenial 8.5 with Intel uxa mode enabled. It is very solid. Unfortunately not so with EasyOS, Even with 0.8.1 updated driver it freezes with both uxa and sna.

Next I am going to compare differences (if any) in setups between the various puppies and Easy. I do know that Xenialpup uses an older version of the Intel driver and Fatdog64 uses a newer version (at least newer than 0.8.0 was). I don't yet know what options they set.

Is it possible there is a timing issue in startup? Maybe the system is looking for a file not available yet? I set a custom background by creating a symbolic link to a file in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory. The actual file is in the /home/media/images directory. On reboot the system did not use the linked image but reverted to default background. The link existed, just was not yet connected to file when background was set.

Edit: note the above was with Easy 0.8.0 I haven't successfully run 0.8.1 for longer than a few minutes yet. I also retried Quirky Pyro64 and it froze when I opened the. main menu. I seem to have better luck with them when I boot up and let sit doing nothing for about 10 minutes. It's like I have to ease slowly into using them.
So, it is still very much a mystery!

On the Arch Linux page, there is one interesting thing:

Code: Select all

i915.semaphores=1
...added to kernel boot parameters. Worth a try.

In the boot partition, insert it into these files:

syslinux.cfg (for legacy booting)

EFI/BOOT/refind.conf

In refind.conf, append to the "options rw" line.

EDIT:
Might be worth trying this one too:

i915.enable_execlists=0

BarryK
Puppy Master

#512 Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote:OT (and the real reason for the post) your caravan is similar to one made in Vic. The main differance is the top half folds down in two giving a slightly humped top when down, and the middle bit of the roof-top is an inbuilt solar panel as it's basically for off-grid travel (12v everywhere). Not a pop-top either, everything's solid when up or down. I'll ask them when they get back from Darwin (after ANZAC day) for a report and details and put it up somewhere.
Found it!

This is made in Victoria, and has a hump:

http://www.ecotourer.com.au/

There is no mention of weight, so they probably aren't that light. So you would probably need a fairly beefy car to tow it, 1.8 litre at least.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#513 Post by BarryK »

Right now I am running EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 on my sister's PC, an Asus Veriton. Don't know what model, it has 4GB RAM, i3-2130 @3.4GHz CPU, and Intel video.

Been using it for about 30 minutes, running perfectly, no video issues at all.

So far, that is five computers with Intel video that I have tested Easy on, and all run perfectly.

Which is beginning to make me wonder...

I am reminded of a couple of years ago, users reported that the popup message that appears the first time that SeaMonkey runs, did not go away after SM started.

I asked heaps of questions, asked the testers to try various things, all to no avail. It was defying logic.
Then, after this had gone on for six months or so, one of the testers who experienced this problem, mentioned that they ran SM as user 'spot'.

No one had mentioned this little detail! As soon as I knew that, I fixed the problem immediately.

It is not necessarily a similar situation now, with the video problems, but worth considering.

At first bootup, QuirkSetup appears. The only thing that I change is the timezone, I set it to "Australia/Perth". Oh, also tick the checkbox to recompress 'q.sfs' from xz to gzip.

On some of my computers I also change the video resolution, from the drop-down list.

So, those who are experiencing severe issues with intel video, such as hanging, do you change anything else?

Billtoo

EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1 (Mar. 14), Xerus64 0.6.8 (Jan. 4), 2018

#514 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb flash drive on an older Compaq desktop:

System: Host: EASYPC17115 Kernel: 4.14.23 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: JWM 2.4.0 Distro: Quirky 0.8.1 pyro64
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 serial: N/A BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 2211/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.1 driver: intel Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 version: 2.1 Mesa 17.0.2
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Card-2: D-Link System AirPlus G DWL-G122 Wireless Adapter(rev.C1) [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb
Drives: HDD Total Size: 531.6GB (0.2% used)
Weather: Conditions: 25 F (-4 C) - Partly Cloudy Time: March 19, 12:37 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 94 Uptime: 41 min Memory: 155.4/3943.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

I added Palemoon web browser + the devx, downloaded a video with youtubedl.
No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(95.15 KiB) Downloaded 710 times

lp-dolittle

intel graphics chipset

#515 Post by lp-dolittle »

Hi Barry,

as for your question about not-mentioned minor issues, yes, I could imagine that the instability problem might (also) be due to additional factors.

On my Dell Latitude6500 Laptop, I never manage to really properly run the Quicksetup Manager. Choosing the Swiss German keyboard layout never worked 'directly', I spontaneously coped with that issue by additionally fine-tuning the settings via the XKB-Manger which also proved to be a potential source of problems. Before doing so, I always clicked away the spontaneously popping up option to download the German langpack.

I repeatedly reported on that problem in the quirky xerus blog after the release of Quirky Xerus64 8.3 final. Your then optimisations of the XKB-Manager did not really eliminate the problem, but your recent fixes relating to the Intel video driver settings at least made the XKB-settings become persistent (surviving restarts of X as well as reboots).

hopefully, this information can help find the real cause of the instability issue.

kind regards

scsijon

#516 Post by scsijon »

Ryzen 7 8 core coming next week to play with, pcie ssd, souped up with a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4G 64bit GDDR5, 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display, and something called a 'Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi Module'. I will of course get the standard :? :roll: set of graphic related tests done first! Wish I could buy one but n/a at present, maybe christmas, but I bet not cheap even then when it comes out, as I think, if I read correctly, the ram is 64bit interlaced. would be a killer linux build ( :lol: ?) machine! Won't be in time for the next semester's course, but.....

Do I need extras from you to to test :twisted: pyro64 out before deleting everything and returning?

That will leave three yet to arrive and return to their sources by mid April as agreed when I took on the project.
BarryK wrote:Found it!

This is made in Victoria, and has a hump:

http://www.ecotourer.com.au/

There is no mention of weight, so they probably aren't that light. So you would probably need a fairly beefy car to tow it, 1.8 litre at least.
Not quite but almost it, from memory.Both ends had a sweep like this one has at the back, not a bump at the front. Maybe it was an earlier version? But if you look at the 420 Off-road with the solar/12v extras, especially the platform step and door at the back, I could almost say that's it. And I know Caravan Court, as they are near where I was when I lived in Melbourne and at least then did good work as they did a lot of repairs for others and the insurance companies. I've asked questions as i'm curious too. I'll post when received.

scsijon

don570

#517 Post by don570 »

EasyOS Pyro64 0.8.1
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated

Update after 3 days....

Everything is running great with uxa intel driver. No crashes or stalls.
Runs apps fast from a USB stick. Great work!!!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#518 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:Barry,
I have had problems booting Easy all along. It persists in easy 0.8.

If I boot to my USB3 drive and use either 'normal startup' or 'Commandline only' and enter 'xwin' before the resolution changes to 1920x1080, I get to the desktop at the wrong resolution then immediately see messed up graphics and, finally, loss of the VGA signal, requiring manual power-down and power-up.

The technique that works is to select 'Commandline only' and enter 'xwin' after the resolution changes. But this works only after manual power down/up; after a 'reboot' this results in the message: "ERROR: Boot drive not found", after listing sda 8 times (instead of sda 3 times then sdb).

Separate issue: the message "date:...invalid time always appears before the 'finding' line; it has the time zone appended.

I attach my log of boot attempts in the hope it provides a clue. The PC is my early 64-bit Presario, details also attached.

BTW, when I have a stable desktop, /mnt/q_ro has both the q.sfs file and mounted (green dot) q_sfs directory.

Richard
Interesting. I don't have any computers that use the 'nouveau' driver. It seems that the kernel nouveau driver is too slow.

Well, there is something that you can try. In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, there is a commented-out line:

#udevadm settle
Uncomment it, and reboot.

rerwin

#519 Post by rerwin »

BarryK wrote:Interesting. I don't have any computers that use the 'nouveau' driver. It seems that the kernel nouveau driver is too slow.

Well, there is something that you can try. In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, there is a commented-out line:

#udevadm settle
Uncomment it, and reboot.
Thanks for your recommendation. It does make it possible to boot up normally to the desktop, but only if I select the modesetting X driver. [However, I cannot reproduce that setup, so need to assess it further.] The nouveau X driver crashes and stops the boot-up, with either modeset=1 or modeset=0 in nouveau.conf. The boot messages:
  • (EE) Fatal server error:
    (EE) No screens found (EE)
and in /var/log/Xorg.0.log (before the above):
  • [...] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:00:0d.0: -19
    [...] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:00:0d.0: -19
BTW, the nv drivers work successfully, even without the "settle".
Richard

BarryK
Puppy Master

#520 Post by BarryK »

rerwin, Cu Chulinux,
Your tests are indicating that X is starting too soon, the kernel video drivers not loaded.

So, I have modified /usr/bin/xwin to wait until they are loaded. Try the attached, instead of that other recommendation to uncomment "udevadm settle".

If you watch bootup, just before X starts you should see some output.

An alternative would be to put that wait loop in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, just where the '#udevadm settle" line is.
Attachments
xwin.gz
Remove the false .gz
(12.72 KiB) Downloaded 103 times