Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 25 Apr 2018, 07:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
How to upgrade BIOS of old Samsung laptop?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
peterw

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2018, 08:17    Post subject: Very Hot Air Gun  

Yes Sage. It is or was a paint stripping gun that is very old but very good for work on pcb's. It is surprising how often a good blast of it on a motherboard works.
Interesting comment about the guy in Cardiff that sells replacement bios chips. Not needed one yet but I will remember this for the occasion if ever I need one.
Sage

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar 2018, 12:11    Post subject:  

When a board finally gives up, it provides a wealth of spares, including BIOS chips and sometimes their sockets, when fitted. Liberation with the trusty heat gun is often easier than individual removal by soldering iron. The twelve quid SF unit has two settings - 450/600C. 60/40 Sn/Pb solder melts ~370C. Most components easily survive that, but the big MOSTFET regulators might need the 600C setting to release them from the board - not an issue since everything salvaged should be tested before re-use. Personally, I get more fun from the HW than struggling to get the SW working!
8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 03:45    Post subject:  

Well if you want one last tip...
The actual CPU has a bit of silicone/cereamic to transfeer heat to the metal heat-sink. If that silicone ceramic paste fails due to age, crazy stuff happens.

In a desktop, this is easier, just a spec of Arctic Silver 5 or 7 on the CPU, and clamp the heat-sink back down.

In a lappy, this is difficult due to tight fit of all the parts. It may not be worth it.

Just a thought
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Good God!, by the stars in the sky we are lost!
And into the breach we got tossed!
And the world is comin' on fast! --Florence Welch
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018, 09:40    Post subject:  

Quote:

In a lappy, this is difficult due to tight fit of all the parts. It may not be worth it.
It can be.
I bought the laptop I'm typing this on from ebay at a ridiculously low price because it was overheating.
A quick clean of the cooling systems and a change to the correct settings in the BIOS and it ran cool enough to let me put a faster cpu in it and it now only gets hot when under heavy load.

Sage

PostPosted: Fri 23 Mar 2018, 04:47    Post subject:  

Quote:
laptop ...from ebay at a ridiculously low price

Better option for these (and dud/dying laptop gifts folks try to force on me!) is to remove from its naff plastic encasing, fit into regular desktop case. Trivial to make up a few lugs to attach and to intercept the 5/12V bus lines. The screen is gonna break if not already. Missing/faulty keys and touchpads eliminated via the USB port which can be extended with a simple hub. Bingo - got a proper PC, with reliable cooling, easy battery access, etc. Elementary DIY - will last until the next few HW iteractions, even longer with the remaining 32bit offerings.
Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: