XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#921 Post by backi »

Alright !
If you have any questions and i can help .....don`t be shy ......no need to hurry ! :) :)

backi

#922 Post by backi »

Hi Max !
Sorry can`t help ....too much for me .....no experience with changes.dat on Fat
partitions .
Don`t know if changes FOLDER can be used on Fat Partitions or if it only works on Ext3/4 ---Linux Partitions .
Maybe somebody knows .

Just have a look here for using Porteus Boot in Xenial Dog .

https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/ ... rteus-boot

This will explain a lot .....but maybe not everything .

fredx181

#923 Post by fredx181 »

Confusion... confusion...
On itself it's a form of art to make things difficult while they are so simple... :wink:

@backi, hamoudoudou is probably using syslinux bootloader and your examples are for grub4dos...

@hamoudoudou, this is your entry you use that should save the session, right ?

Code: Select all

label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (save in changes=/changes.dat file)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat
I just tested to reproduce exactly the same (using same syslinux boot entry on FAT32 formatted USB) and created /mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat
And it worked fine for me saving the session, what or why not for you ?
Does /mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat really exist ?

Oh, and replace your Xenialdog with the newest version (download link on first post)
The older version for sure is giving you trouble.
I told Pelo some time ago already, but he wouldn't listen, you better follow my advice now.(unless you like trouble :wink: )
And.. apply the fixes from second post (e.g. for conky display)

Fred

backi

#924 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !

Thanks for Support .
Does /mnt/sda3/Porteus/changes.dat really exist ?
Good Question .....i was asking myself too ....because of this i pleaded for a Reset , cause i felt somehow confused and desperate .

As far as i understood ,his Installation is on a Usb-stick ......
For his own Convenience , his changes.dat should also be on the Usb-Stick inside of casper Folder.........or is sda3 ( on ) the Usb-Stick ?

So many Questions.....so many Mysteries .
I think the only One who really can explain and provide us with detailed Information is Maestro hamoudoudou himself .

Regards !

hamoudoudou

Sure do things simply is what we like.

#925 Post by hamoudoudou »

I am on other subject but as answer is :
my Rose.dat on which i tried to load was on my usB FAT32
When i type cheatcode manually File stored in hardrive linux sda3 that works well. Sure do things simply is what we like.
That is solved. About wireless and Wired fighting together in Frisbee, i really will come back later. Emergency Solution was to install WIcd and erase Frisbee

hamoudoudou

Sure do things simply is what we like.

#926 Post by hamoudoudou »

I am on other subject but as answer is :
my Rose.dat on which i tried to load was on my usB FAT32
When i type cheatcode manually File stored in hardrive linux sda3 that works well. Sure do things simply is what we like.
That is solved. About wireless and Wired fighting together in Frisbee, i really will come back later. Emergency Solution was to install WIcd and erase Frisbee

fredx181

#927 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Don`t know if changes FOLDER can be used on Fat Partitions or if it only works on Ext3/4 ---Linux Partitions
Yes, changes folder only works on Ext3/4 ---Linux Partitions
For his own Convenience , his changes.dat should also be on the Usb-Stick inside of casper Folder.........or is sda3 ( on ) the Usb-Stick ?
I would prefer also having the changes on Usb-Stick, all in one place, but he probably has his reasons for having it on sda3.

@Keef,
I often check for new arrivals on Distrowatch, and this week there is one called DeltaLinux. No info on what it is based on or if it is doing its own thing. Anyway downloaded the USB image to try it out, although it is quite large. Turns out it is based on XenialDog. Frisbee as network manager partly gave it away, but saw the XenialDog ascii logo as it shutdown.
Thanks for the info.
Well... I tried it and noticed that it's indeed very much based on XenialDog.
Some applications are removed and added a lot, porteus-boot preserved
Almost can't believe there's no reference at all to Xenialdog on the Deltalinux website, oh well...
But I must say that I like it, it's very well made.

Here's a .tar.gz archive I put on my google-drive containing the casper folder with inside the required files for a frugal install, similar (porteus-boot) grub4dos entry (as can be used for Xenialdog) works fine.
deltalinux.tar.gz (900 MB):
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... Oob_22UyQD

EDIT: @hamoudoudou, so what you can do is:
Put Rose.dat in the casper folder on the USB, and use this in your syslinux config:

label XenialDog Porteus in RAM (save in changes=/casper/Rose.dat file)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append initrd=/casper/initrd1.xz noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=/casper/Rose.dat
And, again, use newest Xenialdog !! (I noticed from a screenshot of yours in another thread that use use old version)
XenialDog_32bit-openbox_jwm-2017-01-22-firmware-all.iso
Fred

hamoudoudou

XenialDog-openbox_jwm-2016-04-30.iso: 287 M

#928 Post by hamoudoudou »

well understood about rose.dat

I completely forgot that i had to leave by plane to morrow with so many people to manage.. Not only for computing. I forgot my family rendez-vous, i thought it was next Thursday . Computer makes you out of reality. I stay with my version XenialDog.. None of the dogs give me an huge difference. In fact i was with pupjibaro stretch, very nice Pupppy and i still not understand why GCstar needs devx mounted with it, when under Dogs it runs without adding anything.
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 28 Feb 2018, 19:11, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#929 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:I stay with my version XenialDog
I was silently hoping that you had learned from your previous life as Pelo, but no, you are just as stubborn, sigh....
The old Xenialdog version you use is broken, I repeat: BROKEN !!
(it means that it gives you a headache already now (strange warnings from Synaptic you talked about) and sooner or later it's getting worse :( )
Last warning !
EDIT: Also posted here as reply to your question:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 372#984372

Fred

hamoudoudou

Dogs and my Ubuntu in only one 8GB pendrive

#930 Post by hamoudoudou »

my need is only to get some apps to run, as GCstar and Alexandra, others are available with standard puppies. And XenialDog released 2016 does it. Then i feed back what can be improved to help Dog Team. Sure i Will upload a new version, dated jan 2017. Before formating My Pink (rose) Usb drive i took a glance at it because it has been a long time without running.
My real goal is to stick all my Dogs and my Ubuntu in only one 8GB pendrive with Isobooter, savings being done on my partition Linux on HDD
done step by step Isobooter rcrsn51
XenialDog StretchDog Slaxen 6.3.2 Pupjibaro Stretch
Attachments
version.jpg
Version 2017
(12.06 KiB) Downloaded 436 times

zagreb999

bionicdog32-test

#931 Post by zagreb999 »

i installed bionicdog32.
it works great
on hp pavilion 8 gb ram uefi.
i had to change kernel to
4.5 pupjibaro, because with original
one wpa supplicant is not active.
also, i had to install frisbee.
frisbee works always everywhere!!!
-------------
i installed xfce, but in thunar there is noone
custom action.
haw is possible to transport
custom actions from pcmanfm to thunar?
what is username for slim ?
regards.

regards.

fredx181

#932 Post by fredx181 »

Hi zagreb, good that Bionicdog works for you !
i installed xfce, but in thunar there is noone
custom action.
haw is possible to transport
custom actions from pcmanfm to thunar?
Don't know easy way to transport pcmanfm actions to Thunar.
I'm afraid you have to manually create custom actions in Thunar.
Sorry, don't understand what's your question.
Anyway, the config file for slim is: /etc/slim.conf
(if slim is installed, of course, it's not by default)

Fred

backi

#933 Post by backi »

Hey you guys !
Isn`t username "puppy" ........for slim ?

backi

can not login with slim as user puppy

#934 Post by backi »

Hey you guys !
Removed Slim Login-Manager...... ( SHITTY) --------installed LXDM Login-Manager instead .........works fine :lol:

fredx181

Re: can not login with slim as user puppy

#935 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hey you guys !
Removed Slim Login-Manager...... ( SHITTY) --------installed LXDM Login-Manager instead .........works fine :lol:
Thanks backi !!
I tried LXDM and found 2 problems (however second one is not a real problem):
1) Waiting a while after reboot (not clicking on "puppy" yet) got me logged in automatically as root.
That is wrong. A true multi-user setup shouldn't give automatic root access without giving password..
It's caused by a systemd configuration (on purpose configured for Xenialdog) to login as root automatically, can be disabled by doing in terminal (renaming getty@tty1.service) :

mv -f /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service.bak
And after reboot it should be fixed.
2) there's a message after entering password that it couldn't find startlxde, a bit annoying, but it turns out OK by using (as called) "default".

Could be that the problem you had with Slim was also caused by the automatic login as root thing, but not sure, didn't test.

Best regards and hopefully the winter will end soon in Germany too ! :)

Fred

backi

#936 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Thanks for Reply and good Tip .
Will apply it as soon as possible .

Wish could live in Holland... I truly envy you .........would probably now go visiting Coffee-Shops for testing some Weed . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a nice Day Fred :D

backi

#937 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !

Running Bionic-Dog in root does not give any Trouble so far.

Running as User puppy :
using Desktop Manager selecting PcManFm+Lxpanel.... Menu only shows 2 Items ....run and Logout .
PcManFm+Lxpanel not possible to put Applications to the Panel .Application Launch Bar is empty .
When using Rox-pinboard ... Application Links to Desktop are not saved .

Tha same goes for Xenial Dog .

Regards !

fredx181

#938 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi, thanks for reporting.. however I couldn't reproduce on Xenialdog (logged in as puppy) what you said about "Menu only shows 2 Items ....run and Logout ." and "PcManFm+Lxpanel not possible to put Applications to the Panel .Application Launch Bar is empty"
When using Rox-pinboard ... Application Links to Desktop are not saved
What you mean with "not saved" ? After reboot , or...

I'm busy with other things right now, didn't test "puppy login" on Bionicdog yet, I'll do later and get back about it in the next days.

EDIT: Had a quick look at Bionicdog and found that support for "Desktop switching" e.g. to Rox-pinboard is not at all supported yet when logged in as user puppy, I will fix in next version.
Still curious about what are exactly your problems (when logged in as puppy) with Xenialdog, as I said, I couldn't reproduce.

Fred

backi

#939 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Still curious about what are exactly your problems (when logged in as puppy) with Xenialdog, as I said, I couldn't reproduce.
Yes ....you are right ......
There must have been something wrong with my Setup (maybe Save-Folder Corruption ?)
Did a new/fresh Setup with Xenial-Dog ...... such Problems no longer occurred ------everything is running fine now .
Same for Bionic-Dog (no Problems) ........must have been some Usb-Stick corruption .
My mistake .
Sorry for inconveniences .

fredx181

#940 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Yes ....you are right ......
There must have been something wrong with my Setup (maybe Save-Folder Corruption ?)
Did a new/fresh Setup with Xenial-Dog ...... such Problems no longer occurred ------everything is running fine now .
Same for Bionic-Dog (no Problems) ........must have been some Usb-Stick corruption .
My mistake .
Sorry for inconveniences .
Thanks for the info backi !
Indeed on XenialDog it should be all OK, but... still... BionicDog has bug not supporting Desktop switching to e.g. Rox-pinboard properly when logged in as puppy (only default pcmanfm + lxpanel).

Fred