need a logo

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
klhrevolutionist

need a logo

#1 Post by klhrevolutionist »

have you seen this? http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPup
Other? we need something better than Other dotpups.
Something that grabs attention!
I was going to change it and thought, well let's see what other
great ideas some puppy's have!
remember something colorful an eyegrabber
"or keep it the same"
I am not talking about the image, somebody else put there hard work into
that. simply the part that says (Other)

what do you think and what are your ideas!!!

I enjoy plain also, but when you go to the page it is not real noticeable
I am only asking for ideas and comments it does not mean I am personally
going to change it because I think we should!! thanks to all that reply!!!
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Tue 09 Aug 2005, 04:24, edited 3 times in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

edoc

Re: need a logo

#2 Post by edoc »

klhrevolutionist wrote:have you seen this? http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPup
Other? we need something better than Other dotpups.
Something that grabs attention!
I was going to change it and thought, well let's see what other
great ideas some puppy's have!
cause Other is'nt gonna stay up to much longer!
remember something colorful an eyegrabber
or keep it the same
what do you think and what are your ideas!!!
How about a prarie dog? They are just too cute when they "pop up".

doc

#3 Post by Guest »

Well they are dotpups by "other" authors..

Why does everything have to be sugar coated ?

Have we as a race become scared of being told the truth in a straight up front manner ?

Let's get the internals, the things that really matter working.

Even if it's pretty people will stay away in droves if it don't work ?

A coat of paint will cover rot but wont stop the spread.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I agree with bladehunter. I'm interested in what it can do, not the eye candy. Eye candy gets old after a while, so you tend to waste a lot of time and effort constantly changing it. For what it's worth, I prefer the simple, plain page of Google to a crowded and busy page.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Some very good points and ideas emerging . . .

I recently simplified the top of the dotpup wiki page. I also created the puppy dog logo as well as I could, some time ago

Guest Too created the dotpup format - his dotpups are therefore reliable and as I understand it dotpups will eventually merge with pupget

I find Pupgets are the easiest installer of any distro (including Windows - which has a strange system whereby you have to pay for software - whatever next . . .)

Eventually we might be able to link in with the libraries of Slack or Debian . . . that is up to how things are going and Barrys list of priorities. That would be a good idea BUT it would be a shame to have the everything in existence files available on other distros.
- It is maybe a project that might involve Vector Linux - though in a sense we no longer rely on them - we can now compile (well some of us can) in the Alpha Puppy 1.0.5

I would also remind Klh that his link (to his "endorsed" page - which is coming along and should prove to be outstanding) did not work until I altered it . . . This illustrates the need to aid our newer kennel members

:)

Long term I feel the G2 and "Other" pages should be combined - if that is a viable plan for KlhR then why not ;)

This page might eventually evolve into the front page
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/dpup

Who knows? Someone other than me for sure . .

:).
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

i originally put my own dotpups on my own page ... because i can not really be responsible for other people's dotpups

Puppy links directly to the DotPup page from the Start menu, so it should have clear, visible and obvious links to the dotpup pages at the top of the page, because people tend not to scroll down ... it really should not look amateurish, either

klhrevolutionist

time

#7 Post by klhrevolutionist »

well, it seems that I have gotten responses from people interested in puppy
the regulars as usual, it makes me wonder if others are interested or just distro surfing? I don't know and I don't care!
Now moving along, I agree that it should not be as G2 said and I believe it should not be over done for are dial-up users big images as I have heard
don't get a long well with dial-up, unless your using dillo!!!
But, I like where Lobster creates the pics for his ideas, unlike me so far
I have only borrowed images from the freeware world.
So, I guess with collaboration from whomever is interested
should reply to this post unless there are any further objections
the main dotpup page will get a make over or better yet groomed!!!
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Walt H

Re: time

#8 Post by Walt H »

klhrevolutionist wrote:well, it seems that I have gotten responses from people interested in puppy
the regulars as usual, it makes me wonder if others are interested or just distro surfing? I don't know and I don't care!
Not all of us have the time or perhaps the inclination to respond to every topic created in these forums. There is, perhaps, a large section of Puppy users not covered in your assumption quoted above. (I am reminded of an old saying about what happens when one assumes.)

While logos are sometimes nice, attractive, attention-getting, and catchy, they do no good at all on their own. Personally, I think a clear title (text, no log necessary), such as User-Contributed DotPups (broken down into categories for the types of applications contributed) would suffice, even for the newest newcomers to Puppy.

Don't get me wrong - I like graphics as much as the next person. I hardly ever do anything from the command line. But I also think graphics for graphics' sake on a web page is plain silly. Even small graphics take time to load on my pitifully slow dialup connection.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.