PBurn, any version 4.3.6 - 4.3.16, for Linux Mint

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
PappyPuppy

PBurn, any version 4.3.6 - 4.3.16, for Linux Mint

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

Can I take a .pet and explode it and find the other dependencies they list and build this for Linux Mint?

PappyPuppy

I posted this because I just installed k3b

#2 Post by PappyPuppy »

So I wanted to just install pburn as it's a reliable tool and it doesn't have a 20 minute install process only to fail.

PappyPuppy

I think the TSST corp DVD-ROM TS-H352C

#3 Post by PappyPuppy »

I'll have to buy a writer or use an external one.

PappyPuppy

I had forgotten I had an external drive

#4 Post by PappyPuppy »

It's dark above my pc and I hadn't seen it there.

mikeslr

Probably Can't port PBurn to LinuxMint

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi PappyPuppy,

You didn't mention which version of LinuxMint. Sometimes that will be a factor in determining whether an application built for Puppy can be ported to another Distro. When an application contains compiled binaries and libraries, those must be compatible. To find out what parts are in an application/pet, you can download and unpack it (i.e., Right-Click>UExtract). PBurn, however, primarily consists of bash-scripts and some text files. There's a good chance that bash-scripts are transportable, but sometimes the bash-versions, and so the commands used in the scripts, will differ from one version to another.

Each distro will have its own method of packaging applications. However, when a pet (or SFS) is transportable, what you can do is unpack puppy app, then copy its files and folders into the corresponding locations in the other distro. Not very elegant.

The reason I think that PBurn can't be ported, is that it was built as a Rox-app. Linux-mint, to use it, would have to include Rox (? perhaps not as its default file-manager?) but also have Rox configured to use Rox-apps.

Beyond that, PBurn doesn't include any compiled binaries. In the place where compiled binaries might be located is a bash-script. What that suggests to me is that somewhere among the bash-scripts within PBurn are calls to compiled binaries otherwise located within Puppy, and those binaries make use of firmware and drivers libraries, also already located within Puppy. In other words, PBurn is a front-end to the components (binaries, firmware and drivers) which are necessary for the Puppy Operating System to access and make use of the external peripherals, CDs and DVDs.

Suggest running LinuxMint, you do things its way. As I recall, in addition to apt and synaptic, LinuxMint has an application which categorizes applications and will provide assessments of each available application you can install.

mikesLr

PappyPuppy

Re: Probably Can't port PBurn to LinuxMint

#6 Post by PappyPuppy »

mikeslr wrote:Hi PappyPuppy,

You didn't mention which version of LinuxMint. Sometimes that will be a factor in determining whether an application built for Puppy can be ported to another Distro. When an application contains compiled binaries and libraries, those must be compatible. To find out what parts are in an application/pet, you can download and unpack it (i.e., Right-Click>UExtract). PBurn, however, primarily consists of bash-scripts and some text files. There's a good chance that bash-scripts are transportable, but sometimes the bash-versions, and so the commands used in the scripts, will differ from one version to another.

Each distro will have its own method of packaging applications. However, when a pet (or SFS) is transportable, what you can do is unpack puppy app, then copy its files and folders into the corresponding locations in the other distro. Not very elegant.

The reason I think that PBurn can't be ported, is that it was built as a Rox-app. Linux-mint, to use it, would have to include Rox (? perhaps not as its default file-manager?) but also have Rox configured to use Rox-apps.

Beyond that, PBurn doesn't include any compiled binaries. In the place where compiled binaries might be located is a bash-script. What that suggests to me is that somewhere among the bash-scripts within PBurn are calls to compiled binaries otherwise located within Puppy, and those binaries make use of firmware and drivers libraries, also already located within Puppy. In other words, PBurn is a front-end to the components (binaries, firmware and drivers) which are necessary for the Puppy Operating System to access and make use of the external peripherals, CDs and DVDs.

Suggest running LinuxMint, you do things its way. As I recall, in addition to apt and synaptic, LinuxMint has an application which categorizes applications and will provide assessments of each available application you can install.

mikesLr
I am using somewhere around Linux Mint 17. I had just not realized that I had already installed an external cd/dvd burner from Staple's about a month or so ago. It worked fine - I made the burn so I don't absolutely need pburn - I just always like pburn - it's been a reliable tool and it's WAYYYYYY smaller than k3b. And to be honest, I never have problems with the length of the filename being Joliet or whatever. Pburn just makes all those decision for me.

At least I got the burn made.

Like a dunce I accidentally extracted the pburn I had downloaded the .pet for but it seems that version 4.3.6 and version 4.3.16 are the same. So I probably over-wrote my usr/local/lib, my usr/share, my usr/bin, etc.. with the .pet. But pburn is probably still ok. I'll test it some time - at least it runs still.

Maybe someone could tell me how to unpack a .pet and have it simply go under some directory so I can look at it first. I was exploding the pburn .pet on my fatdog only so I could then transport it to another machine. I know it's better to make it on that machine though. Sometimes you get lucky transporting binaries - .deb and ubuntu are the majority of linux.
So I'll have to look into the nature of a Rox app - perhaps once I understand it, I can port it to Linux Mint somehow. For now I'll just use k3b.

What that suggests to me is that somewhere among the bash-scripts within PBurn are calls to compiled binaries otherwise located within Puppy, and those binaries make use of firmware and drivers libraries, also already located within Puppy. In other words, PBurn is a front-end to the components (binaries, firmware and drivers) which are necessary for the Puppy Operating System to access and make use of the external peripherals, CDs and DVDs.
Got ya ... it would be a job to port it given the above statement.

jrb

Re: PBurn, any version 4.3.6 - 4.3.16, for Linux Mint

#7 Post by jrb »

PappyPuppy wrote:Can I take a .pet and explode it and find the other dependencies they list and build this for Linux Mint?
You might try pburn from https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... /Included/. Freds got it set up as a .deb already. Here are the deps:

Code: Select all

libc6, libgtk2.0-0, gtkdialog, dvd+rw-tools, pfind, vamps
You can install it with "dpkg -i". pfind is also in this directory.

Good Luck, J

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ PappyPuppy:-

I have to agree with Mikeslr. pBurn, as written for its native environment, makes multiple calls to binaries/libraries/other scripts which are already an integral part of Pup itself.

True Linux programming/coding skill comes with learning to write the scripts that tie all these together. I produce quite a few packages of various sorts for Puppy.....but I mostly do so where I can 'assemble' pre-compiled binaries & libraries from other sources.

My scripting skills are absolute rubbish, and I'll be the first to admit that. I will never, ever be able to approach the skill levels of our multiple 'devs', and the small core of regular 'coders' who form, and contribute to the 'Woof-CE' team.....who have helped to make Puppy what it is today. These guys can talk, think & write in code as naturally as most of the rest of us do something simple like breathing..!

Packages do get 'ported' from one distro to another.....but it's an involved business. If you want to pull .pet packages to bits so's you can study the structure, etc., the easiest way, I find, is to install and use SFR's 'UExtract'. This, I believe, is a Puppy 'special'; you won't find this anywhere else.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87864

Hope some of that helps.

Mike. :wink:

PappyPuppy

I will try Mike Walsh and JRB's methods

#9 Post by PappyPuppy »

I've sometimes simply taken a .deb file and somehow got it to work on Fatdog - how I don't know - it just worked. Linux is linux - there's not much that's different.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

UExtract utilizes "ar" via rt-clk.

ar -x *.deb
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

fredx181

#11 Post by fredx181 »

Aside from installing the correct dependencies:
One important thing for most gtkdialog based apps is that /bin/sh should be a symlink to /bin/bash (instead of /bin/dash, which is the case on most Debian/Ubuntu based distro's) otherwise it won't work properly in most cases.
So, do:

cd /bin
ln -fs bash sh
Or, official way:

dpkg-reconfigure dash
And choose "No" (then sh will be symlinked to bash)

Fred

PappyPuppy

#12 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ PappyPuppy:-

This, I believe, is a Puppy 'special'; you won't find this anywhere else.

Hope some of that helps.

Cool to have one universal unzipper queen bee script.

PappyPuppy

I will be trying this later today

#13 Post by PappyPuppy »

Mike Walsh wrote:@ PappyPuppy:-

I have to agree with Mikeslr. pBurn, as written for its native environment, makes multiple calls to binaries/libraries/other scripts which are already an integral part of Pup itself.

True Linux programming/coding skill comes with learning to write the scripts that tie all these together. I produce quite a few packages of various sorts for Puppy.....but I mostly do so where I can 'assemble' pre-compiled binaries & libraries from other sources.

My scripting skills are absolute rubbish, and I'll be the first to admit that. I will never, ever be able to approach the skill levels of our multiple 'devs', and the small core of regular 'coders' who form, and contribute to the 'Woof-CE' team.....who have helped to make Puppy what it is today. These guys can talk, think & write in code as naturally as most of the rest of us do something simple like breathing..!

Packages do get 'ported' from one distro to another.....but it's an involved business. If you want to pull .pet packages to bits so's you can study the structure, etc., the easiest way, I find, is to install and use SFR's 'UExtract'. This, I believe, is a Puppy 'special'; you won't find this anywhere else.

Hope some of that helps.

I'm not blaming k3b but I'm the kind of person who will stick with something that worked well for me. There could just be some small issue or it could be a random error but the CD looks awfully nice - no scratches. I have to redo the CD on my Mint machine.