X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#801 Post by mistfire »

@hamoudoudouou you can delete ircp if you want. Bluetooth in X-Slacko Slim works nicely.

Regarding full screen youtube I think full screen in webkitgtk 1.10.2 was disabled. I cant use version 1.11.5 because it crashes until someone here was able to edit the source code of webkitgtk to fix that crashing bug and compiled it.

Compiling webkitgtk was longer than to compile the kernel. Since 4.4 of X-Slacko Slim Im using my netbook with intel atom (2012 model) to compile a kernel (it tooks 4 hours) and webkitgtk (it tooks 6 hours). Unlike before that Im using a core2duo desktop in my workstation to create an X-Slacko Slim during breaktime but unfortunately my workplace is now closed down.

Im badly needed a more powerful laptop even old ones (2010 models) in order to shorten my compile time. But I have no such amount of money to purchase a more powerful laptop.

hamoudoudou

Bluetooth works fine, really ?

#802 Post by hamoudoudou »

mistfire 'mytailor is rich' was the first lesson of English lessons by Assimil. Shoud be replaced by 'if i were a rich man, i would compile better' My laptops are old, i am used to them. But i am not a compiler.
Don't spend money just for us..
About Bluetooth, Do you mean than it plays wireless your equipment as head speakers ?
About pTape, big problem when recording is that tape recorder is noisy, you listen more at the 'wheels' on which tape run thant to the song with pRecord or Audacity
I never use fullscreen for videos from you tube. Quality is not enough. as I am just at 30 cm of the screen, i prefer to watch tiny play
Attachments
version.jpg
Yes, version with parole (2015) still here, Blue pendrive Intenso 4GB
(47.19 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#803 Post by mistfire »

@hamoudoudou Im not spending money for here. Im just playing my hobby.

Yes bluetooth speakers works on my X-Slacko Slim using PuppyBT just paired and connect. Set default audio to bluetooth. And set gnome-player audio to alsa. Then you are good to go.

File sending and receiving bluetooth also works just pair the BT devices first

pTape is use for saving files on a Tape Backups. It just a gui frontend for mt command

Puppyt

#804 Post by Puppyt »

Hiya mistfire,
I have been running into some niggles with your latest version (April 02, 4.4r12) that I can't work out.
I'm using it with a testbed of other Puplets on a Rocky II RT686 Pentium 3 laptop - and thanks for your 'heads up' for your project that you posted on my thread.
What I have is everything (all other puppies) on an ext2-formatted partition, each of 30 or so Pupplets frugal-installed, grub4dos. All the savefiles are as normal unencrypted ext2 files - no folders. The strange behaviour with your Xslacko is that it can't find the previous savefile on boot (I've tried a few locations, in the home folder and in root, with different save files too).
When Xslacko boots up fresh, although it states that the screen setup is 1024 x 768 (correct) at 24-bit depth, the icons and screen font are degraded for the menus and toolbar and not legible. When the xorg wizard is used to re-select 24-bit, the icons and text are generated beautifully - just before the whole thing seizes up and can only be solved by a hard boot. In fact, even when you pick "change nothing" and reload xwin, the same lock-up behaviour occurs.
I've re-downloaded the iso, and will double-check the md5 for a complete reinstall - but I don't imagine that there could be any other explanation for this behaviour, could there?
Cheers :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

mistfire

#805 Post by mistfire »

@puppyt

when puppy boots up completely. It creates a log file named puppyboot.log you can find that in /tmp. Can you please send the log file here?

Also when booting the puppy in pristine state go to /initrd/tmp put the contents in tarball and send it here to diagnose your problem.

Volhout

Bluetooth

#806 Post by Volhout »

mistfire wrote: Yes bluetooth speakers works on my X-Slacko Slim using PuppyBT just paired and connect. Set default audio to bluetooth. And set gnome-player audio to alsa. Then you are good to go.
I have not succeeded in making BT audio work on anything except my Android phone and W10 PC. Regardless what distro I use (Slacko/Tahr/Ubuntu) they all get confused. The BT speaker I use is a Harman Kardon GO+PLAY, a marvelous speaker with superb sound quality. But is enumerates as 2 devices. A headset (with mic) and a stereo speaker. And Linuxes simply cannot handle that. Of coarse I want to use the stereo speaker, who needs a mic. And best case a Linux distro works for few minutes on the speaker, and then autonomously starts to connect to the headset/mic. Or simply stops completely. And only a real power off can revive BT.
Tested on a Lenovo laptop, and a C720 chromebook running Linux (wiped chrome OS).
My ASUS EEEPC does offer BT, but there is no Linux driver for the weird WIFI/BT combo chipset of that netbook.

Maybe other speakers work fine.... but my speaker does not...

Volhout

Puppyt

#807 Post by Puppyt »

mistfire wrote:...
when puppy boots up completely. It creates a log file named puppyboot.log you can find that in /tmp. Can you please send the log file here?

Also when booting the puppy in pristine state go to /initrd/tmp put the contents in tarball and send it here to diagnose your problem.
oops sorry mistfire - I missed your response from last week - thank you very much for your message and I'll get onto it later today after work,
Best Wishes!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

kuman11

#808 Post by kuman11 »

mistfire,

I see quite a few files in /tmp. Can I delete them safely w/o damaging puppy?

mistfire

#809 Post by mistfire »

@kuman it is advisable not to delete the files in /tmp. Those files will be automatically deleted upon shutdown

kuman11

#810 Post by kuman11 »

mistfire,

Do u know more about the Simple ADB tool or point me where I can find out more about it?

Thanks

mistfire

#811 Post by mistfire »

Simple ADB Tool is just a simple GUI for Android Debug Bridge. Just google it to learn more.

kuman11

I created a pupswap file on the usb stick. Can I copy it in

#812 Post by kuman11 »

I created a pupswap file on the usb stick. Can I copy it in /root to use it while running in RAM?

mistfire

#813 Post by mistfire »

@kuman probably it will work.

mistfire

#814 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Linux 4.16 kernel (for meltdown and spectre mitigation, thanks smokey01)
* Mounted disk image now appears on thunar (might even work on pcmanfm)
* Headless mode (experimental, just put pfix=headless and it will mount the bootdrive as readonly, no persistence, also VNC server will be activated. Put scripts in /root/headless-apps which program want to start automatically before remastering it)

* VNC server is now included
* Some fixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VUO-t4 ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 86a35daeeeeb617e9cd3d6b13af51ad5

kuman11

#815 Post by kuman11 »

'@kuman probably it will work.'

It seems the pupswap reduces my RAM in /root a lot. I need to keep it above 400 Mb in order to avoid crashes often. I need to put it in /dev where my other 780 Mb of RAM is left. Is it gonna work?

Also I need to troubleshoot the sound (in uTube). What's the app in X-Slacko for it? Otherwise, I run the wizard.

mistfire

#816 Post by mistfire »

@kuman just make a swap partition in your hard drive using GParted

Use alsawizard for troubleshooting sound

Dont forget to set the audio output of media player to alsa

Sage

#817 Post by Sage »

Extremely good. Amazing what can be achieved in a 'Slim' distro. Congrats again, misty.

mistfire

#818 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released:

Changes:
* Just fixes on initrd. It can now detect puppy save files on linux partition.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-SRV6O ... sp=sharing
MD5 Checksum: 65c68824700fe679b0e7677b08a8296d

Volhout

compatibility

#819 Post by Volhout »

Dear mistfire,

Just an observation:
I personally expect that Slim will be used because it is
a/ slim (on small applications / systems / older systems).
b/ the clean windows NT appearance (personal preference).

In my perspective it is doubtfull if the person using Slim would sacrifice 20-30% performance to gain robustness against Spectre/Meltdown.

Question:
I do have a question though with repect to compatibility of Slim.

I have seen that like 50% of the PET's and SFSés simply don't work on Slim. With a varietey of error messages if started from commandline.
Or the behaviour is very different. (i.e. Pwidgets, that seems to live UNDER the desktop, and sometimes peep through).
Is there a way to improve compatibility with puppy, whilst maintaining the Slim way of working. Maybe the trimming in Slim has removed packages others rely on.
i.e. Take the full XSlacko, and apply some patches. Is this achievable ?

I currently maintain 3 puppy distro's because of this. Besides Slim, an older puppy, and a newer one. And one Slim (not so slim anymore) would suffice....?

Regarsds,

Volhout

mistfire

#820 Post by mistfire »

Changes:

* Linux kernel 4.17 (thanks smokey)
* Some fixes

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sHbCgD ... sp=sharing

MD5 Checksum: 7578f8ec91fe59da9181d7f65a6902d9