smtube wont work (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
sindi

Youtube with Firefox ESR 45.8

#21 Post by sindi »

In Lucid 2016 I can play Youtube with Firefox 45.8 ESR, which is a bit newer than the regular FF.

Semme (in several private messages) said Smtube 18.1 still works (http://smtube.org, get the package for Ubuntu 14).
With S's help, in Tahr, I installed dependencies: libqt5 core GUI network script webkit and widgets packages.
(Lucid puppy does not offer qt5). Update PPM first.

smtube 18.1 works with VLC, which comes with Tahr.
It does NOT work with mplayer 2.2 (2012) which I installed via ppm.
I installed mplayer 2015 and it works with smtube 18.1.

smtube 15 and 17 tell you they cannot find the URL.

My next challenge is to get mplayer 2015 and qt5 working in lucid puppy. Maybe the qt5 libraries from Tahr will work.

Tahr has serious video problems on my newest fastest (2009 HP AMD 3000+) laptop and is unusable.
Pale Moon does not play Youtube at all on that laptop in Lucid or even Win7. Firefox 45.8 ESR does.

backi

#22 Post by backi »

Hi sindi !
Here is what i did for playing Youtube Videos in Tahrpup 6.0.6 (Vlc is installed by default ) directly with Vlc Player .
I am using Palemoon Webbrowser .

1. Go in Palemoon(or Firefox) Menu>Tools> Add-ons .......search for "open with" add-on......
install .
2. Restart>configure>Choose how to display Open With Menu items
check all "display as Menu items"
3.Choose which Menu items to display >add...... look for vlc.desktop ...open .

When now going to youtube to your chosen video >right Mouse-click>Menu>Play current Video .
Works for me .No need for qt 5.

EDIT!!!!!
Just tried yesterday and a few minutes ago ...
But duddenly no longer working !

Maybe Youtube changed some Code ones more ????....not sure .....
Fuck it !!!

Strange .....with some Videos it still works with others not (VEVO for Example it does not work any longer........half an hour ago .......they worked )

Regards !

sindi

making smtube 18 work in lupu

#23 Post by sindi »

Smtube 18.1 from Ubuntu 14 can be made to work in Tahr 605 by adding a few Qt5 libraries (not found in Lupu ppm).

I copied the required libraries to Lupu but could not find libharfbuzz.
Some of the Qt5 libraries need glibc 2.15 or 2.17. Tahr has 2.19, and lupu 2.11.

Has anyone successfully updated glibc in Lupu to 2.17? Or is there a source of precompiled Qt5 for glibc 2.11? I updated Puppy 4.31 glibc (to 2.11 I think) using some deb package.

And what/where is harfbuzz (that Tahr seems not to have, though it works with smtube anyway)?

sindi

ways to watch youtube

#24 Post by sindi »

Sorry I missed the post about using VLC as a player (in Tahr) within Palemoon or Firefox.
Yes, Youtube changed something a few days ago, which broke smtube 15 and 17. It may also have
caused palemoon to no longer play videos except at 360p.

In Lupu I can now use splitvt (or X with two urxvts) to search for specific youtube videos.
I then copy the URL to the bottom half of the split screen (or the other urxvt) by typing
to download them with youtube-dl.
(You can also use hjkl and various other key combinations to copy strings in splitvt).

I was able to watch 720p videos in about 70% of cpu without X (mplayer plus filename),
or with a bit more CPU in X on both a 2004 HP zv5000 and a 2003 Gateway ARC-200.

I tried to do the same in Wary Puppy 5.5 (which works on more computers).
splitvt even with libtermcap.so.2 added complained about termcap and "null".
I can use 'screen' or switch terminals instead, but:

youtube-dl (2015 and 2017 versions) needs python. What package(s) should I install?

I was unable to get movgrab to download or even list formats. It says I have the wrong URL.
movgrab -T https://youtube.com/watch?v=XXXXXX (fill in the actual URL).
This is version 1.2.1 from 2013.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/puppy/movgrab (or youtube-dl-2017 or splitvt.tgz).

I found an i686 rpm for version 3.1.2. How to unpackage an rpm in wary?
rpm2cpio movgrab*rpm | cpio -idmv
The binary needs glibc 2.15 (not found in wary OR in lupu). Anyone want to
compile it for glibc 2.11? (I updated wary to that).

I was able to use Palemoon with an add-on (EASY youtube downloader) to download a 720p video
and then play it with mplayer without X in Wary using no more cpu than to play a 360p video with Palemoon itself.

This 2003 laptop will play 720p in X, which uses 14% of cpu. Slower ones will not.
I added vga=791 in the grub4dos menu.lst to get framebuffer console (I think at 1024x768).

Another Youtube downloader did not work in Palemoon and one said it was not compatible.
One Palemoon add-on (Youtube cinema something) blocked the playing of any Youtube videos.
And an image and flash blocker blocked ALL images and also cookies.

sindi

movgrab 3.1.2 in Tahrpuppy has an ssl problem

#25 Post by sindi »

Tahr puppy. I repackaged movgrab from rpm to tgz.
http://keesan.freeshell.org/puppy/movgrab312.tgz
/etc/movgrab.conf - my minimal config file to download at a particular resolution or list of them and play with mplayer and use ssl.

libUseful is not compiled with ssl.
I don't have a libUseful so I presume this is a statically compiled binary that is missing something required by youtube now.

It used to work (the 1.2.1 version) with even Basiclinux from 2000.

This newer movgrab can find the file and determine available formats but will not download any of them.

Please see if you can make it work. After which maybe someone can compile the binary for glibc 2.11.

Mayou

SMtube for Precise works with SMplayer

#26 Post by Mayou »

SMtube for Precise works with SMplayer if you install version 14.8.0
SMtube topic
Attachments
SMtube.jpg
MP4 format 720
(31.33 KiB) Downloaded 379 times