Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Jun 2018, 00:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Router Security
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
labbe5

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 12:03    Post subject:  Router Security
Subject description: a website devoted to router security

https://routersecurity.org/

This site focuses on the security of routers. Period. If you are interested in faster WiFi, look elsewhere. The site covers configuration changes to make a router more secure, and, picking a router that is more secure out of the box.

Why devote an entire site to router security?

I used to be like you. That is, I would buy a router, it would work fine and I would ignore it for years. However, after some huge router flaws, affecting millions of routers, caught my attention, I started following the topic more closely. As a Defensive Computing guy, I eventually realized that I needed to upgrade my own router security and get more up to speed on the topic. After all, if a router gets infected with malware, or re-configured in a malicious way, most people would never know. There is no anti-virus software for routers.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 22:41    Post subject:  

Nice link, thanks.
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 23:21    Post subject:  

The page doesn't open for me.
Maybe because I am on mobile?
I tried it yesterday and again now...
Fossil

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2018, 05:49    Post subject:  

The website was unobtainable until I searched for it using Startpage, and then went through their proxy Laughing. Excellent information.
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2018, 08:04    Post subject:  

Now that I am using PC, it did open directly, I didn't have to use any proxy.
belham2

PostPosted: Tue 10 Apr 2018, 13:39    Post subject:  

The guy who wrote the page/blog (in labbes link), he seems to know his stuff. I first came across in late 2013, early 2014. I think a router breach scares many of us more than OS breach, for two simple facts: 1) as Labbe says, if your router gets pawnd, it is tough to figure it out, and 2) with Puppies and/or Linux OSes, we all pretty much know how to--if a problem is suspected---just blast it away, DD whatever, and reload & you are back and running. Routers are more finicky, I know, as I have been running Brainslayer's DD-WRT builds for about ~10 years now. With both Brainslayer & Kong, I'd rather trust my router to them, where their releases are tested continually by a boat load of users & results posted daily, than go with a manufacturer like Cisco, TP-Link, Asus, Netgear, etc, etc who sometimes takes months if not year or more to patch major flaws. With DD-WRT, at least, stuff is patched in days to weeks. Big router manufacturer indifference is one of the reasons M. Horowitz talks about outfits like Pepwave/Peplink.

The even bigger mystery, though, is the huge routers that sit behind our home routers. At those nodes and data centers, in today's world, that is the real attack point of hardcore malware purveyors. They know if they get into those, especially undetected, all bets are off the table for anything.

And manufacturers, especially Cisco, has not ever been forthcoming on how many of their current and dated routers are known problems and/or dangerous. They are worse, way worse, than Intel, Microsoft, AMD, etc.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: