How to open Rox Panels at startup/as toggles? [Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
Jasper

#21 Post by Jasper »

Hi greengeek,

I like some flexibility; so I have a fixed centred top tray with a chosen depth of 21 pixels.

Thus I always have screen access to both my jwm left-click and right-click desktop menus. Also, in the particular case of SeaMonkey, I adjust its FullSceen width and placement so that its right-hand edge is one or two pixels short of my screen's right edge.

Now, when I move the mouse cursor to the top right of the screen (to where the red rose icon is highlighted in the screen shot) my rox panel is available for use. Moving the mouse cursor left will again show SeaMonkey in full (including its vertical scrollbar).

SeaMonkey is the only app, I can recall, where anything extra has been needed to reveal and use my rox panel.

My regards.

PS As an aside - which is your current version of jwm?
Attachments
Shot.png
(154.13 KiB) Downloaded 379 times

MochiMoppel

#22 Post by MochiMoppel »

greengeek wrote:Is it possible to make a rox panel which stays on top of programme windows
Yes
and/or on top of the jwm taskbar?
Yes, if the JWM tray is at the top of the screen (panel at top edge, tray below), No if the tray is - as by default - at the bottom edge. But you can have both tray and panel at the bottom (panel at the very bottom, tray above). In any case maximized windows will not cover the panels.
I cant see rox panels being useful to me if the windows cover them
But the ROX pinboard is being useful to you although windows can cover it? Panels are nothing else but additional, size restricted pinboards, on top of the main pinboard (aka desktop) with the advantage of being potentially off-limits to windows.

Since this thread is marked 'Solved' by the OP, covers a different topic and strayed already into an OT formatting discussion I suggest that you open your own thread, preferably in the Users forum :wink:

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

Jasper wrote: As an aside - which is your current version of jwm?
Hi Jasper:

Code: Select all

# jwm -v
JWM vgit-895 by Joe Wingbermuehle
compiled options: confirm fribidi icons jpeg nls png shape svg xft xinerama xpm xrender 
system configuration: /etc/system.jwmrc
# 
MochiMoppel wrote:But the ROX pinboard is being useful to you although windows can cover it?
In fact, no. I almost never use desktop icons any more as they are covered by open windows.
Since this thread is marked 'Solved' by the OP, covers a different topic and strayed already into an OT formatting discussion I suggest that you open your own thread, preferably in the Users forum
Ok. I will do some more research and tinkering to flesh out my questions then will open a new thread. cheers!

greengeek

#24 Post by greengeek »

ps: Jasper, what is this?
Attachments
TaskbarTray.jpg
(7.05 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

Jasper

#25 Post by Jasper »

Hi greengeek,

it's
Attachments
Shot.png
(11 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

Jasper - I don't have that in my menu. Is it this one?

Jasper

#27 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

Yes: it's 7 items times 24 pixels = 168 pixels

my top tray 8 items x 21 pixels = 168 pixels
(because I like symmetry)
and that's SFStray from seaside
just click an sfs icon to load it
and close the app to unload it.
Note, as far as I remember:
only for jwm, but not for Full installations.

Puppus Dogfellow

you can swap keyboard shortcuts by swapping panels

#28 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

just discovered you can give yourself swappable keyboard shortcuts by assigning them specifically to panel or pinboard items. since this thread deals with panels exclusively, i'll focus on that, but it's really the same thing--when you right click on a pinboard or panel item and give it a shortcut, the shortcut goes to that specific icon, not the program or file(s) the icon represents--the key combo will work on what's in the panel--swap the panel, you swap keyboard shortcuts. to fully use this feature, you'd probably have to keep your shortcuts away from your main windows manager as that may override or conflict with the newer keycuts.

in short, you could toggle keyboard shortcuts when you toggle panels/toggling panels is also a way to have an enormous amount of context-specific (or not) keycuts. this is possible because in rox, you assign cuts to an icon, not a program.

rufwoof

#29 Post by rufwoof »

greengeek wrote:Is it possible to make a rox panel which stays on top of programme windows and/or on top of the jwm taskbar? I cant see rox panels being useful to me if the windows cover them. cheers!
Necro bumping a old thread ... I used to include program icons/items in the main jwm panel, but have since opted to use a rox panel instead. I don't launch a rox pinboard at all now, have no need for desktop icons as program icons in a rox panel can have files dragged/dropped onto them to launch them. I also like how middle mouse drag/drop can be used to rearrange the rox panel icons, along with drag/drop new items into the panel.

Bottom panel is the jwm panel that also acts as the tasklist, tray, pager ...etc. and where the clock is used instead of a MENU button. Left edge is the rox panel, that I launch in .xinitrc/.xsession just before starting the window manager

rox -l $HOME/.panel &
exec jwm

Guess I could really include the panel being launched by jwm itself along with other commands such as

<StartupCommand>sleep 7;osmo</StartupCommand>
<StartupCommand>sleep 7;libreoffice --quickstart</StartupCommand>

and background wallpaper setting

<Background type="scale">$HOME/.wp.png</Background>

A nice feature of rox is that AppDir's can be used as the icons in the rox panel, for instance I have a few that do multiple operations such as uploading files to my server, so that a rox filer window multiple file selection can be dragged/dropped onto the relevant rox panel icon and the file uploading of those files to the server starts.

In my case both the rox and jwm panels remain visible at all times (maximise a window and both remain visible). If I drag a window however it will cover the rox panel but not the jwm panel, but perhaps if I also had rox pinboard running and set the margins that might not be the case - but I'm not sure about that.
Attachments
s.png
(227.97 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

Puppus Dogfellow

here's a pet for the four frame toggles

#30 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

panelframes-u.pet

some icons that work well with the panels and how to make them:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 44#1031444

no real pinstall:
#!/bin/sh
#no menu entries unless you add .desktop to the files in /usr/share/applications/panels
#drag either individual panel toggles or the entire folder to a desktop or panel--i usually have one side panel carry all and one carry just its own name (to help me identify the set and make turning it off easier)

#see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 162#884162

#for more on icons that work well with panels

Puppus Dogfellow

an update for the above pet

#31 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

panelframes-u.pet
(new page--that's the previous pet, but the update comes solely from the pinstall below. new thread page so i'll include it as it's referenced)

____

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:click to take a better look at the default naming scheme and color layouts:

rox allows icon assignment to any file through the right click menu, and i rarely use that root/Desktop folder, so i've been thinking of it as an alternative to the menu system. a folder of scripts or executables, a folder of icons to represent them, and just stick them on the panels. swap panels and you swap the keyboard shortcuts you assigned to the icon--it's really very versatile when you think about it and why i chose an alternate location for the generated icons.

here's some more on panels:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 656#781656

you may not want to override puppy's default icons in their other contexts, so as an alternative to associating the above with the directories themselves, you can associate them with scripts that call them (either individually or in sets). the following puts some scripts and icons to associate with them. sometimes you need to restart X (or wait til you reboot) for them not to look blurry on the desktop, but they're generally fine on the panels and will stretch or shrink to fit them.

mkdir -p /root/Desktop/desktops/{scripts,icons/{pans,defaults,dirs,conf,cus}}
6txpm "CR" >/root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tcr.xpm
6txpm "JCONF" >/root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tjconf.xpm
6txpm "RCONF" >/root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6trconf.xpm
6txpm "PAN" >/root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tpan.xpm

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox -D /
#close all rox directories
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/cr
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/cr

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net /root/Choices/ROX-Filer /usr/share/applications/panels
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/rconfr
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/rconfr

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox /root/.config/micro /root/.jwm/ /etc/xdg/templates/ /etc
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/jconfj
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/jconfj

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox  /usr/share/applications/panels
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/pan
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/pan
if you want a menu entry (will open up the folder with all the clickable icons--p1-p9 in the terminal also toggle them in or on/off):

echo $' 
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8 
Name=panel frames
Icon=/root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tpan.xpm
Comment=open panel main directory
Exec=rox  /usr/share/applications/panels
Terminal=false 
Type=Application 
Categories=X-Desktop 
GenericName=panelframes

' > /usr/share/applications/PanelFrames.desktop 
fixmenus
jwm -reload

shortcuts assigned to the panels toggle in and out with them, which has both advantages and disadvantages (basically unlimited, possibly context sensitive; downside is your having to duplicate steadies if relying solely on the panels for keycuts (they set up the same way you set them for desktop icons--right click, edit, set keyboard shortcut)).

anyway, that's another use for this stuff.
from default colors and an update for the above panel pet
Subject description: (the non general issue (i.e. mcc dependent) version of the pinstall script)(http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 69#1031769)
from
Make Concurrent Copies (and optionally label the versions)
Subject description: now also a tiny word processor (12-99 kb depending on version)(http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 162#884162)

___

#!/bin/sh

#no menu entries unless you add .desktop to the files in /usr/share/applications/panels
#drag either individual panel toggles or the entire folder to a desktop or panel--i usually have one panel carry all and one carry just its own name (to help me identify it and make turning it off easier)
#see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=884162#884162
#for more on icons that work well with panels (i opened the xpm images in a text editor to get the icons you see on this script.)
# version2 below:

mkdir -p /root/Desktop/desktops/icons/pans/
mkdir -p /root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/
mkdir -p /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox -D /
#close all rox directories
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/cr
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/cr

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net /root/Choices/ROX-Filer /usr/share/applications/panels
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/rconfr
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/rconfr

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox /root/.config/micro /root/.jwm/ /etc/xdg/templates/ /etc
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/jconfj
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/jconfj

echo $'#!/bin/sh
rox  /usr/share/applications/panels
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/pan
chmod 755  /root/Desktop/desktops/scripts/pan

##---------------------^scripts----icons----v---

echo $'/* XPM */
static char *tmp_xpm[] = {
"14 13 4 1",
" 	c None",
". 	c #423256",
",	c #00FF00",
"#	c #C1FF62",
"..............",
"..####..#####.",
".#....#.#....#",
".#....#.#....#",
".#......#....#",
".#......#....#",
".#......#####.",
".#......#..#..",
".#....#.#...#.",
".#....#.#....#",
"..####..#....#",
"..............",
"..............",
""};
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tcr.xpm 
echo $'/* XPM */
"35 13 4 1",
" 	c None",
". 	c #423256",
",	c #00FF00",
"#	c #C1FF62",
"...................................",
"....###..####...####..#....#.######",
".....#..#....#.#....#.#....#.#.....",
".....#..#....#.#....#.##...#.#.....",
".....#..#......#....#.##...#.#.....",
".....#..#......#....#.#.#..#.####..",
".....#..#......#....#.#..#.#.#.....",
".....#..#......#....#.#...##.#.....",
".#...#..#....#.#....#.#...##.#.....",
".#...#..#....#.#....#.#....#.#.....",
"..###....####...####..#....#.#.....",
""};
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tjconf.xpm 

echo $'/* XPM */
"35 13 4 1",
" 	c None",
". 	c #423256",
",	c #00FF00",
"#	c #C1FF62",
".#####...####...####..#....#.######",
".#....#.#....#.#....#.#....#.#.....",
".#....#.#....#.#....#.##...#.#.....",
".#....#.#......#....#.##...#.#.....",
".#....#.#......#....#.#.#..#.####..",
".#####..#......#....#.#..#.#.#.....",
".#..#...#......#....#.#...##.#.....",
".#...#..#....#.#....#.#...##.#.....",
".#....#.#....#.#....#.#....#.#.....",
".#....#..####...####..#....#.#.....",
""};
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6trconf.xpm

echo $'/* XPM */
"21 13 4 1",
" 	c None",
". 	c #423256",
",	c #00FF00",
"#	c #C1FF62",
".....................",
".#####....##...#....#",
".#....#..#..#..#....#",
".#....#.#....#.##...#",
".#....#.#....#.##...#",
".#....#.#....#.#.#..#",
".#####..######.#..#.#",
".#......#....#.#...##",
".#......#....#.#...##",
".#......#....#.#....#",
".#......#....#.#....#",
".....................",
".....................",
""};
' > /root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tpan.xpm

echo $' 
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8 
Name=panel frames
Icon=/root/Desktop/desktops/icons/dirs/6tpan.xpm
Comment=open panel main directory
Exec=rox  /usr/share/applications/panels
Terminal=false 
Type=Application 
Categories=X-Desktop 
GenericName=panelframes

' > /usr/share/applications/PanelFrames.desktop 
fixmenus
jwm -reload

the mcc utility makes text icons that you can use on your own scripts for machines that don't have it. the update for the previous pet gives a desktop entry for the panel and some example scripts and icons (you can right click associate pretty much any image, but these are very lightweight) for them. they'll also almost always expand (always contract) with the panel, and the rare times they don't expand, they leave a clickable slot the aligns with the scale of the larger panel).

you could of course also drag regular icons and desktop elements to the panels and not worry about icons, or leave your scripts bare and allow the panels to display their names. if using them solely to make swappable keycuts, just use one pixel icons--you'll fit more that way.

enjoy.

--p. dogfellow.

_____

here's the updated pet in one piece:

panelframes-4x9.pet