How to use Hyperscope in Puppy Linux? Puppy 4.31 (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
RickGT351

How to use Hyperscope in Puppy Linux? Puppy 4.31 (Solved)

#1 Post by RickGT351 »

I want to use Hyperscope, the tool created by Doug Engelbart and his team http://hyperscope.org/. The only catch is that OPML capability in Firefox has been made less over the years.
One source said to use Firefox 2, which was available in the repo of Puppy 4.31. I finally got it downloaded (many of the urls in the repo no longer work) but it won't run.
Has anyone used Hyperscope and can give me any pointers?
See also https://www.youtube.com/user/engelbartinstitute
Last edited by RickGT351 on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 10:33, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It would help a lot if you told us which version of Puppy you want to use Hyperscope in. Is it 4.3.1?

RickGT351

#3 Post by RickGT351 »

Any of 4.31, Precise 5.71 or Tahrpup 64 6.05
Flash wrote:It would help a lot if you told us which version of Puppy you want to use Hyperscope in. Is it 4.3.1?

RickGT351

#4 Post by RickGT351 »

Update: The Firefox I wanted was hiding in plain sight at http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... .0.0.7.pet. I am now able to run the Hyperscope demo in Firefox. I am using Puppy 4.31 for this project.
Hyperscope looks really interesting

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ RickGT351:-

Just FYI, you can download any version of Firefox you like from Mozilla's own archives.....which you can find here:-

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

.....going all the way back to the very first alpha-stage testing release, 0.10.1..! Just download the tar.bz2 file, unzip, and put the contents into your 'firefox' directory (usually in /usr/lib).

If you want to add another version of Firefox to run alongside an existing one, the best place to create a new 'firefox' directory is probably in /opt. You can then just drag the 'firefox' executable onto the desktop, and use it as your launcher (and tart it up with an icon, if you so wish.)

Hope that helps for the future.

Mike. :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I'll be darned, this is the first time I've been able to get Firefox to work by downloading it. :shock:

I did as Mike said, choosing the http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/rele ... _64/en-US/ version, untarring it and putting the resulting Firefox directory in /usr/lib. Then I right-clicked the Firefox directory in /usr/lib, chose Permissions from the drop-down menu and clicked yes. After that, I opened the Firefox directory, found and clicked the firefox gear symbol and walla! So I dragged the gear symbol onto the desktop where it's easy to find.

If it makes any difference, I'm using Xerus64-8.5 which I'm running from DVD in a computer with 4 GB of RAM and no hard disk drive, thus no Save file. I remaster when I get it the way I like it.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Flash:-

There you go, mate. Just occasionally, things work out right for all of us..!

I'm not a Firefox fan; always been a Chrome man, ever since Autumn 2008 when it first appeared. But I've usually got an up-to-date copy of Firefox kicking around somewhere in the kennels. Since I do quite a bit of work on browsers and internet-related stuff for the community, I like to keep up with what's going on in both camps.....

Since the browser is a far larger chunk of Mozilla's business, they've got enough sense to realize that it pays to keep old versions available. Google, on the other hand (who've got so much money - and to whom even MyCrudSoft's annual income is only pocket change), take the view that they've released a new version; why would you want to use the old one? The Chrome browser, Android and the Chromebook operating system, are 'small potatoes' to Google.....almost a sideline, or even a 'hobby', really, compared to their investment in cloud infrastructure, and their equally large investment in 'deep', machine- and AI learning programs.. Once the new, 'stable' version is available, the old one is wiped off the servers, to disappear into the trash-can of cyberspace. Those old versions you can still find around the 'net? Posted by individuals, and small web-sites, who wish to keep them available for posterity. Google, however, don't want to 'look back'. They're a forward-looking company.....and they don't hesitate to let everyone know it.

In very much the same way that the world-renowned MV-Agusta motorcycle factory was only ever a hobby for Count Giovanni Agusta, founder of the Agusta aviation company, subsequently bought out by the telecoms giant, Bell, and henceforth known as Bell-Agusta. They were the most exquisitely built road-going racing bikes of the 70's and 80's.....hand-built, but in minute quantities. I believe they're still built today, but are horrendously expensive (and are, moreover, something of an acquired taste! For all their high-tech build, they don't actually handle that well.....in itself, a rarity for Italian motorbikes.)

Eee, but enough of all that. I'm 'rambling' again....!! Image

RickGT351

#8 Post by RickGT351 »

The interesting thing is that there is no Firefox 2 in this collection, which is what I needed for this project.
Mike Walsh wrote:@ RickGT351:-

Just FYI, you can download any version of Firefox you like from Mozilla's own archives.....which you can find here:-

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

.....going all the way back to the very first alpha-stage testing release, 0.10.1..! Just download the tar.bz2 file, unzip, and put the contents into your 'firefox' directory (usually in /usr/lib).

If you want to add another version of Firefox to run alongside an existing one, the best place to create a new 'firefox' directory is probably in /opt. You can then just drag the 'firefox' executable onto the desktop, and use it as your launcher (and tart it up with an icon, if you so wish.)

Hope that helps for the future.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Isn't this it?

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ RickGT351:-

Mm-hm; there is..!

Ya gotta learn how to read the Firefox list the 'right' way.

The Mozilla listings aren't ordered in quite the way you'd expect; 1, followed by 2, then 3, etc. It goes 0.0, then 1.0, followed by 10, then 11, 12, etc.....up to 19. Then comes 2.0.....followed by 20, 21, 22, etc. 3.0 comes after 29. 4.0 comes after 39. And so on. Somewhat illogical, perhaps, but it makes sense when you think about it.....all the 1's, followed by all the 2's, then all the 3's.

It's exactly the way your computer would list numerical files if you asked it to order a large series of them at random. It's just the way the silicon works.....

You'll find the Firefox 2.0 series starts below Firefox 19.0b6:-

.....no fewer than 26 releases in the 2.0 series, I believe.